D&D 5E (IC) Scourge of Daggerford

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Tommi nods to Titus when he is dismissed. He is grateful for the opportunity, but perhaps regretful that he has not really accomplished anything, and that the other human guards are still asleep. "Is there a back way out?" he asks, with more than one motivation governing his question.

Gutter is on his hip, hanging from a loop off his belt. The sword seems almost reticent to cut through the leather thong, almost as if it only enjoys a living target. It is an ugly blade, Tommi knows. And it does ugly things.

His sling is tied around his wrist, and his pocket is filled with pebbles. Tommi regularly grabs a few and holds them to his lips, as he blows good luck onto them. Unless he is given a back way out, he reports to the others, and offers what he can. "I'm better when I move" he suggests. "Down there, I have a much better chance at accomplishing something worthwhile."

[If he does get a separate exit and it takes him outside the castle, he'll wave from there to the battlements, such as they are, to signal where he is and that he's ready.]

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Vairar

Vairar found the elf lord on a large balcony that overlooked the garden. Dawn was near enough that there were few stars in patches of clear sky overhead. In the gardens, the orcs were too far away to see well, even with elvish sight, but there were sounds of movement, and the light of the occasional torch appeared out there in the gloom. The orcs were being stealthy, as orcs go, but Vairar knew well that discipline was hard for them. No leader of theirs should expect their ruse to work for long, but they continued to keep the appearance of a surprise attack.

Sir Darfin was playing along - no alarms sounded within the manor. Talynen had woken everyone quietly, and everyone was taking defending positions. Three elves were on the balcony, carefully hanging extra quivers on the rail. The elf lord listened to Viarar and noddend, "Thank you for your concern. I agree. Something troubles her and she seems unwilling to share. I will speak to her the first chance I get, and I grant that you may do the same, if you see her first. Tell your allies that I am very thankful for their aid. May the Lady of Air and Wind see to your victory."

Tommi

When Tommi asked about another exit, Titus shrugged. Lady Shalendra was busy in the gate-room, perhaps placing wards (Tommi was unsure). The guards were awake now, and gearing up when Tommi began to move through the barracks. When asked, one of them (a human from Daggerford) answered Tommi, "Not if you want to get to the gatehouse. There's a secret way out garden-side, well-hidden, but you'd have to climb the cliff near the waterfall. I hear that his lordship did it when he was young, but he's an elf, and he knew it well. Much easier for you to go up the main stairs, really."

OOC: Tommi can try it if he likes - there's probably time, but like the guard says, he could just go up the stairs.

Escella asks some who looks like a leader, "Are there any plans to lay some tree trunks across the road to the gate house? Some thing to slow down any kind of battering ram? Do we know if they have rams?"

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"The trees on either side of the road are eight hundred years old and were planted by the Lord and Lady's mother" said a haughty elf sergeant named Ryallan to Escella, as if it were obvious, "I'm afraid that we don't have the time to find, destroy, and move lesser trees for that purpose. As far as rams go, I would assume that they have some means to try to break our door, or they are fools."

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Angis Honack
Floshin Estates/Main Gate
Morning
Round 0

Angis was working on removing the mounted crossbow from the war wagon near where Escella was talking to the elf. He glared at the elves. Gods above, how annoyingly arrogant the pointy eared bastards were.

“Don’t yeh think yeh shuild hae thought o’ tha’?” he asked. “Ain’t ye e’er been in a siege b’fore? Ye got any way t’ deal wi’ an orc batterin’ ram? Boilin’ oil? Murder holes? Fire arrows? Ye daft elf! I swear, I shuild jus’ bury a dozen o’ ye up t’ yer necks in front o’ the gates sae at least ye can bite at their ankles!”

Mounted Crossbow: +6 2d6 100/400
Bolts: 58
Bolts used: 0

Marauding gnolls (Ardeep Forest, noble hunting party hostage)
Orcs in the north (Harpshield Castle, Floshin Estate, Newfield)
Lizardfolk with steel weapons and armor (Rock Tower, Crom’s Hold)

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Horde Breaker:
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Hunter’s Mark (if needed):
Concentration:
Conditions:
Inspiration:

Initiative: +1
Perception: +5
Speed: 30
AC: 14/15 (dual wield)
HP: 49/49 HD: 5/5d10+2

Bolts: 51
Bolts used:
Handaxes: 2/2

Spells
1) 4/4 Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Hunter’s Mark
2) 2/2 Pass Without Trace
4/4 Boon of the Elk. Can cast Knock four times (without the loud sound) as an Action. Until he uses the last one, non-good aligned Fey count among his Favoured Enemies.

Vairar - elven cleric
Tommi - human rogue urban bounty hunter
Dandin - halfling bard guild merchant
Enseth - warforged war cleric shield guardian
Angis Honack - dwarven ranger outlander merchant
Titus - human Waterdhavian noble fighter
Lionel - halfling rogue folk hero
Escella - Human sorcerer

"Rein it back a bit, Angis," Escella says. "It's not his fault no one thought to put something nearby that could be used to lay across the road before an attack."

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The elf sergeant sniffed and said, "This is a quiet stately manor house, not a rowdy dwarven fortress. I plan to shoot them with my arrows until they die or flee into the dark corners of the woods, where they belong."

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Tommi thanks the guard who gave him the tip on the back exit, and promises to buy him a round next time they are both at the Happy Cow. He wants to know if this is a viable way back in, should he ever want one.

(Why would he? He does not know. His fantasies about gate-hopping are completely unreaslistic for a boy from Daggerford, he knows. But he takes notice in any case -- the route he would follow, the mechanism for the lock if there is one; anything that would make returning to the gates easier. As an escape? as the start of an adventure? as a precaution against invaders? Truthfully, he does not know if it is any of these or all of them. But it is knowledge he wants to have.)

He makes his way to the entrance, and as he does so the roar of the waterfall is increasing, and a fine mist soon soaks his clothes. He runs his fingers through his hair as a makeshift comb. The effort is ineffective, but he's smiling as he sees the cliffs, and begins his ascent.

OOC: Three rolls. Athletics 1d20+3=22. Stealth 1d20+5=11. Perception 1d20+7=17.

He's outside the gate, he's wet, he has a pocketful of pebbles, and he's ready to scout. It's later than it should be. He sees his friends setting up a catapult on the roof. If they notice him, they probably think him a damn fool. The rust on gutter seems particularly fetid, as if burrs were there to hold on to rotting flesh. Tommi doesn't notice. He's ready for the day.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Tommi

The guard showed Tommi to a store-room, that had a long, diagonal "chimney" that led to a small window. This let light (and in good weather, air) into the cellar. Tommi easily made the climb, and he opened the window with a little brass handle. The way was too narrow for anyone as broad-shouldered as Angis, or Titus in his armour, (or for that matter, an orc), but Tommi had little trouble slipping out onto a grassy hill amidst the roots of a large old tree. From outside, he saw that the window would be quite hidden from anyone who did not know it was there, unless they stumbled upon it.

From there, it was a quick scramble up the tree's wide roots, along the north side of the manor house, and a slow, damp, slippery climb up the rocks on the side of the waterfall. Angis, setting up the mounted crossbow on the gate's roof, spotted him as he was hopping from rock-to-rock over the creek.

Remove ads