• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immortals Handbook - ASCENSION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just saw the painting

AWESOME. I have to second the sentiments about posters! :lol:

You know, that cover painting methinks was just the nudge I needed to get the print version of the bestiary.

Cover Feedback...

Hey guys! :)

I'm in a brilliant mood tonight, got the cover done, and now Northern Ireland have defeated Spain 3:2 in the European Qualifiers! HURRAH!

Eversius said:
Good lord, UK. That painting exemplifies EPIC!

Thanks mate, the perspective idea really sells it, so a pat on the back goes to Anabstercorian.

Of course now the question is...will the Distributors like it...? :eek:

Eversius said:
It's a shame our old friend the tarrasque isn't there anymore, though. Or is he hiding somewhere where I can't find him? :lol:

Yes, poil brun asked me this too, but I just couldn't see where to fit him in, sorry about that. In using the perspective it meant I had to raise up the feet of the two monsters. So it just became awkward fitting in the Tarrasque.

historian said:
U_K, that is bad@ss!!!!!!

I appreciate the love dude.

historian said:
That's Kirby quality stuff!

Cheeky. :uhoh:

historian said:
Man, that cover is going to sell some books!

Fingers crossed.

Phantom Llama said:
I very much like that painting. It's a joy to look at.

Thanks for the kind words.

Phantom LLama said:
Especially the fact that the scroll is larger than the castle, which is just hilarious.

I was going to try something fancy and make the scroll luminous with glowing sigils...but then I thought who the hell am I kidding, just get the paint on the page and hope for the best. :D

Sledge said:
Wow UK, that's great. Any chance of posters?

I was thinking of getting a print done for myself and putting it on the wall. I'll check out how much they are and then see if anyones interested.

Fieari said:
Dang, that is fantastically awesome. The gold paint really made the seraphim far more majestic, and the perspective just MAKES the whole piece. I do wish the tarrasque could have stayed in, but... eh... this is cool enough as it is.

Thanks...I was really frightened about the gold paint to start with, it looked rubbish when it first went on, but once it dried it looked brilliant.

Ltheb Silverhand said:
Wow... Just... Wow...

Thanks dude! :)

Ltheb Silverhand said:
I agree - There should definitely be posters of that

I'll see about getting some sorted out.

Anabstercorian said:
Regarding the painting:

DAMN. That is freaking excellent. Well done!

...of course you know now I have to go one better with the next book cover. :p

Any ideas guys?

Bestiary 2 is going to be a Cosmocrat vs. Umbral fight (Think Arishem vs. The Anti-Life Equation...at least you know what I mean historian).

Bestiary 3 is going to be an Inevitable vs. Pseudonatural clash of titans (Think Optimus Prime vs. Cthulhu).

Ascension...?

Grimoire...?

Chronicle...?

historian

First Post
Hey U_K! :)

of course you know now I have to go one better with the next book cover.

Any ideas guys?

Bestiary 2 is going to be a Cosmocrat vs. Umbral fight (Think Arishem vs. The Anti-Life Equation...at least you know what I mean historian).

Bestiary 3 is going to be an Inevitable vs. Pseudonatural clash of titans (Think Optimus Prime vs. Cthulhu).

Ascension...?

Grimoire...?

Chronicle...?

Bestiaries 2 and 3 are going to be incredible if you can recapture the feel of Bestiary 1. Arishem, the Anti-Life equation, OP, Cthulu . . . . . :cool:

I can't match your ideas but for the Grimoire I like the idea of portraying the Xiphoid sword from the first Bestiary. Perhaps its reflection could reveal a universe.

The cover of Ascension could model your idea for the illustrations within. You could have a circle with concentric spheres whereby each sphere shows the the evolution of a being from Disciple to High Lord.

I'm somwhat stumped on Chronicle.

Oh, and the Kirby reference wasn't even meant as cheeky. Technically the cover is better than anything I've ever seen from Kirby, but it shares the rather unforgettable character of his work.

I can't wait to see the High Lord illustration. ;)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Holy freaking crap does that painting rock! :eek:

Yet another reason to be eagerly anticipating the print release! Also, posters might not be a bad idea...

EDIT: Crap, U_K, I just now noticed your notation about not being able to email me; this is what happens when I don't visit EN World for a few days! I have no idea what's going on, as no one else seems to be having trouble. It's still ALZRIUS at AOL dot COM. I've already sent you an email, which hopefully you'll be able to reply to. Let me know here if you don't get it, or can't reply.

Last edited:

Upper_Krust said:
Any ideas guys?

Ascension...?

Grimoire...?

Chronicle...?
With the next few bestiaries, a change of scenery or something could be cool (Like in space or on some strange-geometried-plane, such as the ground/surface spiraling into the background/darkness)
For Ascesion - Your cover is pretty cool, and since you use the same 4 gods as "samples" throught the chapter, perhaps all four fighting Aspu or some other rediculously terrible foe.
Grimoire could be cool - If you like drawing equipment.
The Idea I just had is of a warrior-mage casting a cosmo-shattering spell wearing Blazing armor, with a Crown with Gems, each of which contains galexies, a Kukri that is a rift in time and space, and with a Tome at his belt bearing a glowing etching of a Seraphim or some other draconic being. He could be engaged in a foe who appears off in the back ground, his equipment not visible for much detail, but giving off a slight halo/aura to denote power.
Chronicle - If you have a 3.0 DMG, I know there is a picture in there of this "Indiana Jones" styled trap room. Perhaps the cover could be like that, but more epic - A Sphere of Annihilation instead of a boulder, Diamond Golems instead of Spear Traps, and an evil wizard in the back opening a portal to something like the far realms, and one of the 4 classic adventurers from Ascension stumbling/leaping at him through the traps with a look on their face of "Noooo!"

Last edited:

Hiya mate! :)

Servitor of Wrath said:
AWESOME. I have to second the sentiments about posters! :lol:

Thanks! :)

Servitor of Wrath said:
You know, that cover painting methinks was just the nudge I needed to get the print version of the bestiary.

You mean you weren't getting it anyway! :eek:

historian said:

Hiya mate! :)

historian said:
Bestiaries 2 and 3 are going to be incredible if you can recapture the feel of Bestiary 1. Arishem, the Anti-Life equation, OP, Cthulu . . . . . :cool:

:)

historian said:
I can't match your ideas but for the Grimoire I like the idea of portraying the Xiphoid sword from the first Bestiary. Perhaps its reflection could reveal a universe.

Maybe a better chapter illustration - I don't want to confuse people too much.

historian said:
The cover of Ascension could model your idea for the illustrations within. You could have a circle with concentric spheres whereby each sphere shows the the evolution of a being from Disciple to High Lord.

Too Epic Level Handbook-y. :p

historian said:
I'm somewhat stumped on Chronicle.

I was thinking some sort of Gods vs. Future encounter, but I have nothing concrete in mind as yet.

historian said:
Oh, and the Kirby reference wasn't even meant as cheeky.

I know, it just struck a nerve since the Amilictli pose I borrowed from a classic Kirby cover.

historian said:
Technically the cover is better than anything I've ever seen from Kirby,

I'm sorry, but I can't have you 'dissing the King. I'm not fit to shine his boots...see attachment.

historian said:
but it shares the rather unforgettable character of his work.

More than you know. :eek:

historian said:
I can't wait to see the High Lord illustration. ;)

I'm afraid you'll have to. :D

Attachments

• celest01.jpg
    celest01.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 111

Hello! :)

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
With the next few bestiaries, a change of scenery or something could be cool (Like in space or on some strange-geometried-plane, such as the ground/surface spiraling into the background/darkness)

One thing I like to keep is the sense of scale, so if I did move it into space I'd have to work out some way of maintaining that.

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
For Ascesion - Your cover is pretty cool, and since you use the same 4 gods as "samples" throught the chapter, perhaps all four fighting Aspu or some other rediculously terrible foe.

One idea I had was Thrin fighting an opponent from inside Apeps mouth, while Apep is leaning over the top of a Pyramid.

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Grimoire could be cool - If you like drawing equipment.

I love the magic sword in this preview...

http://www.newsarama.com/virgincomics/ramayan/preview.html

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
The Idea I just had is of a warrior-mage casting a cosmo-shattering spell wearing Blazing armor, with a Crown with Gems, each of which contains galexies, a Kukri that is a rift in time and space, and with a Tome at his belt bearing a glowing etching of a Seraphim or some other draconic being. He could be engaged in a foe who appears off in the back ground, his equipment not visible for much detail, but giving off a slight halo/aura to denote power.

I like the idea that the spell would shatter reality...in effect the page, although I suppose thats a bit like Infinite Crisis.

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Chronicle - If you have a 3.0 DMG, I know there is a picture in there of this "Indiana Jones" styled trap room.

Don't you mean DMG 3.5?

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Perhaps the cover could be like that, but more epic - A Sphere of Annihilation instead of a boulder, Diamond Golems instead of Spear Traps, and an evil wizard in the back opening a portal to something like the far realms, and one of the 4 classic adventurers from Ascension stumbling/leaping at him through the traps with a look on their face of "Noooo!"

:D

I have a hankering to use a Neutronium Golem on one of the covers...I'd like another shot at painting one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads