• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immortals Handbook - ASCENSION

Status
Not open for further replies.

paradox42

First Post
This post is a continuation of a discussion that started in the Grimoire thread; I decided to continue the argument here so as to avoid leading that thread too far off-topic. Also, IMO the topic is more appropriate to Ascension anyway. The topic under discussion started with UK's estimates of the highest level creatures in a particular region could naturally reach, based on extrapolation of the rule that the number of characters of a given level is halved when you want the number of characters at the next higher level (i.e. 1000 1st-level means 500 2nd, 250 3rd, etc.). The post I am responding to can be found here.

Upper_Krust said:
That idea just doesn't sit well with me at all. No race or sub-race should just be able to skip levels. It might evolve to have higher ability scores, but not levels.
Fortunately, the idea doesn't have to sit well with you- just me and my group. :D :p

And I didn't say they skip the levels, they just don't spend very long in them- if they survive. If I run a game in that world, starting from the base, I'll most likely begin the characters at 3rd, yes- but that's not saying they just skip 1st and 2nd. It just says that 1st and 2nd are sort of folded into their growth into full adults ready to do stuff on their own. Think of it this way: is the number of children in a given society always twice the number of adults? Sure, infant mortality is often high in societies at a typical D&D tech level, but even on modern-day Earth, is the number of children twice the number of adults? I don't believe it is.

Essentially, what you seem to be advocating is that all worlds absolutely have to start adult people at a skill- and health-equivalent to a 1st-level character, bar none, end of story. I'm saying that in some worlds with particularly harsh environmental conditions, people who make it to adulthood learn a lot more and are forced to become a lot tougher than the game allows for 1st-level characters- in game terms, the best way to model this effect is by having them be higher level. You can add skill bonuses and extra hit points or hit dice, sure, but if you do that you're really just simulating gaining levels anyway- or in any case that's my take on it. You could also say that characters in such a world gain enough to reach 1st level at a younger age, somewhere in childhood for example. Then, by the time they reach full adulthood, they're naturally higher level.

Upper_Krust said:
NPCs should gain 1000 EXP/year from life.

That means assuming a 18 year old/1st-level starting point.
Point of order, the game actually assumes human characters start younger than that. :) Human starting age is 15+1d4 years, so a 16-year-old character is quite possible.

Upper_Krust said:
19 = 2nd
21 = 3rd
24 = 4th
28 = 5th
33 = 6th
40 = 7th
48 = 8th

Whereas adventurers (or indeed soldiers) should probably gain a level each year or thereabouts.
The table is exactly the sort of thing I mean for time-based XP, yes; I haven't bothered to work one out for my own game, but that's largely because NPC age proves to be pretty irrelevant for most game purposes. For story purposes it might occasionally come into play, but typically the PCs just don't have reason to care.

Now, with regard to your idea of one level per year for adventurers- well, the previous editions of the game might have supported such a slow pace of level gain in practice, but 3E and 3.5 certainly aren't built on it! Whether or not you like the fact that 3E grants XP quickly enough for characters to level-up multiple times in the space of a few weeks, you must admit that the game is presently structured to force that to happen. Many adventures I've seen, in fact, are constructed to assume the PCs gain more than one level during the course of the story- and those stories certainly don't take multiple years to get through. The Adventure Paths (in both Dungeon and the original 3E path starting with Sunless Citadel) all have adventures in them that include this fast advancement, and Age of Worms certainly would play very differently if the authors allowed characters playing it to take 20 years to stop the cult's plans!

Upper_Krust said:
I definately think you touch on a good idea with regards age categories.
Well, thank you- feel free to use it. :) Of course, if deities do gain Quintessence simply by living a long time, that begs the question- how much do they get, and where does it come from? Since you have three mechanisms by which they can gain the stuff, one has to wonder which of the means is the best one for simulating this. Then again, perhaps it's a combination of all three, or different deities get them at different rates.

paradox42

First Post
Upper_Krust said:
As for extrapolating undeath.

Skeleton < Lich/Death Knight/Wight < Demilich/Cimerial/Winter Wight < Akalich

Ghoul < Vampire < Nosferatu < Welkin

Zombie < Mummy < Hunefer < Welkin

Shadow < Ghost/Wraith/Spectre < Atalia/Egregori/Eidolon < Akalich

Basically you have:

Bone
Blood
Flesh
Spirit

The Akalich is Bone + Spirit
The Welkin is Flesh + Blood

Other combinations may well be possible, so lets try some brainstorming...

Bone + Blood...Bloodwight (has anyone used that name yet?)...for some reason the name reminds me of Spawn (the comic book character).
Bone + Flesh...Razor Fiend?
Blood + Spirit...reminds me of the Crimson Death monster.
Flesh + Spirit...a bit like my original Garganaut idea.
Cool take on undeath, very sensible. Perhaps we readers of the Bestiary might collaborate to create some of these higher fusions of undeath for possible inclusion in future Bestiaries?

Of course, it would be helpful to see the Welkin before beginning such a project, so we could be sure to avoid stepping on UK's toes that way. ;)

Also, if combinations happen at the Akalich "level" by bringing two together, might some Cosmic entities somehow combine three? Might there be an Eternal-level type of entity that has aspects of all four at once- a sort of Necroverse if you will?

Then again, maybe Servitor of Wrath's Mortiverse is all we really need in that department. :)

paradox42 said:
Then again, maybe Servitor of Wrath's Mortiverse is all we really need in that department. :)
Nah, Mortiverse is more of a matter/void fusion.

Oh, and I also really like your take of the different undead levels.

As for "blood wight," there's a beastie by that name in Tome of Horrors III. I don't know if that would actually cause any trouble; I have three different chupacabras and know of a fourth as a template.

Eversius

First Post
Meh, I still don't have any idea of how to go about it. I wanted the akalich to be an independant shadow, but the collective of demiliches working together as one skeleton.

Eversius said:
Meh, I still don't have any idea of how to go about it. I wanted the akalich to be an independant shadow, but the collective of demiliches working together as one skeleton.
That raises an interesting question. How many demiliches to make a complete (human) skeleton? One for the head, one for each hand, one for each foot, one for the spine, those are simple enough, but what about a femur demilich? Is that one bone sufficient, or would the demilich also get the patella? And what demilich would want to be a pelvis?

Servitor of Wrath said:
That raises an interesting question. How many demiliches to make a complete (human) skeleton? One for the head, one for each hand, one for each foot, one for the spine, those are simple enough, but what about a femur demilich? Is that one bone sufficient, or would the demilich also get the patella? And what demilich would want to be a pelvis?
Well, in older editions, demiliches were more like constructs. They were essentialy semi-sentient traps to protect the lich's Phylactery while it was bodyless and on the astral. (Which was why a demilich followed a set of combat rules for who it killed first - Mages, then priests, then fighters... etc) For more information, see the Old Tomb of Horrors adventure. (I think that had a good writeup of the how-and-why)
So, a Demilich could be a pelvis, but who or what ever created it has a silly sense of humor. (Though in my opinion, its the Silly ones that are the most dangerous. If they have the time and resources to waste on silly, then you most likely stand no chance against them.)

Dragonmoon

Explorer
Hy Upper Krust!

Your cover is great, a beautiful one! :cool:
I hope that you will end in time for the Ascension Beta 0.9 all the divine abilities (and even also the portfolios list). The wait is devastating! :(

Will Spiritual and Earthly Ancestor have a cosmic/trascendent upgrade like demilich for undeads?

Thanks!

Loved the idea of the Necroverse by the way. :)

Dragonmoon said:
Hy Upper Krust!

Hello there Dragonmoon! :)

Dragonmoon said:
Your cover is great, a beautiful one! :cool:

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Dragonmoon said:
I hope that you will end in time for the Ascension Beta 0.9 all the divine abilities (and even also the portfolios list). The wait is devastating! :(

I'll have 0.9 at about midnight tonight. It should have all the cosmic, transcendental and omnific abilities detailed. I should also have the Feat packages, more on the metamartial maneouvers, creating your own abilities and a few other things.

I'll not know until tonight exactly how much but certainly a bigger update than last time, even though I have only really had about 4 days.

I may include the portfolio list, but there won't yet be any portfolios..until the next update.

Dragonmoon said:
Will Spiritual and Earthly Ancestor have a cosmic/trascendent upgrade like demilich for undeads?

At the moment they don't, but I am not really sure such upgrades are necessary.

I'm always willing to hear ideas on the matter of course.

Anyway, I should get back to work. ;)

Hey guys! :)

Just a quick word (before I collapse into bed) to let you know that Ascension Beta 0.9 is now available.

Elements of note (and take into acoount this was only about 30 hours of effort).

Portfolios List
Transcendental Abilities*
Omnific Abilities*
Metamartial Maneouvers* - expanded slightly.
Feat Packages*
Creating Your Own Abilities and some other stuff*

*yes I know they are not totally finished, but they all will be by next week. ;)

...and yes, sorry I didn't explain Mantic Frenzy. :eek:

Next week I plan to have Chapter 4 finished and a (hopefully large) chunk of Chapter 3 done.

I'll respond to posts tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads