• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immortals Handbook - ASCENSION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phantom Llama said:
Is it me, or is Absolute + Omnipresent completely broken? ...
It would be, but look at who would have it - Time Lords. Who or what would they be fighting? Other Time Lords. Since any timelord worth his salt can annihilate all the pantheons in his or her universe in one round, basically this power only will affect one foe. (Though in a Really, Really, Really high level game the DM could be Cheap and have the PCs foe use it. Theres bound to be more than one PC... Right?)

historian

First Post
Is it me, or is Absolute + Omnipresent completely broken?

I agree with Ltheb that it is not broken. Essentially only a Duad High Lord or better would have the slots to afford both and even at that they would be Esoteric abilities.

BTW, I admit to being completely bumfuzzled by Table 4-4. :confused:

Does anyone have a firm handle on this?

Howdy! :)

paradox42 said:
Hey, I seem to be first on the block for once. :)

Initial thoughts:
-Opposed Portfolios eh? One being can't have both, I presume?

Correct.

paradox42 said:
-The first rules for making our own abilities- woo hoo!

Still early days on that.

paradox42 said:
-You built in a system of "flaws" for getting extra powers- very interesting. It does have obvious mythic potential, though in practice systems like this often turn into balance nightmares. Limites are definitely a Good Thing.

I think the limits in place are straightforward enough. I may have a page of specific handicaps somewher in Chapter 4.

paradox42 said:
-Good beginning on the feat packages. The blanks need filling in of course, but what's there is a good base and shows a decent variety.

Yes, they need a bit of work, as do the Cosmic Packages.

paradox42 said:
-Wow, the Mercury Golems have a built-in Omnific ability? :)

One of those abilities thats just a nightmare to accurately rate, since its totally dependant upon the initial character power.

paradox42 said:
-Super-Ultimate Amidah coming in Bestiary Volume 2! Potentially scary to contemplate...

I dunno, I may scrap cahnge things a bit.

Lord of Necessity ~ Alpha Template
Lord of Death ~ Omega Template

paradox42 said:
-It's probably a good idea to detail what happens when one power cancels out another, like Infinite Strength cancelling out Infinite Constitution for damage-dealing purposes. Do you go back to what the entities in question would have without the cancelled-out abilities?

Yes.

paradox42 said:
I'll add more to this list with edits as they come to me. Thanks for the update! Great to see it!

:)

Hello matey! :)

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Great stuff U_K!
(as always)
A few cool things I noted:
- The change of the magic item modifiers for omnific abilities. (Yea, they are worth more than +800 :))

Indeed. Of course I will try and keep the magic item stuff as seperate from the abilities as possible.

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
- The note about [Effect] Mulitpliers. (though you never specify any limit to how many you can have, so a Telluric Quantum Vampiric Astro Blast would be possible, and confusing) :)

Yes, but (something I need to specify), those multipliers need to be taken at the same level as the effect you bind them to.

So a Vampiric Effect on top of a Cosmic Effect is itself a cosmic power.

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
- Lord of Necessity. (The Omega template just sounds scary.)

It scares me and I haven't even detailed it yet. :heh:

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
- Anti-Matter [Effect] (While not described in too much detail, this = awesome)

I understand the mechanic, but (like a lot of things), its the explanation that is tricky.

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
- Omega [Effect] (It sounds a bit strong, but it is cool :))

I am sure a few things need tweaked. Astro Effect (to name but one) is totally wrong. :eek:

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Cool stuff. Next update sounds cool. (Perhaps we will know what Mantic Frenzy does then:))

I may leave that out for badness. :p

...then again I am lawful good... :\

Howdy! :)

Eversius said:
Quick question, UK, about the orders of magnitude of the cosmos.

Is it Microverse (theoretically) < Universe < Multiverse < Macroverse/Super-universe (Pleroma (Glad you included that name, by the way!)) < Omniverse < Metaverse (Beyond the records)?

Demiplane
Layer
Plane
Dimension
Universe
Multiverse (multiple Universes)
Metaverse/Super-Universe
Omniverse (all 7 Super-Universes)
Akashic Library (10th Dimension)

Hiya mate! :)

Phantom Llama said:
Is it me, or is Absolute + Omnipresent completely broken?

There are probably lots of potentially scary combinations that need addressed.

Phantom Llama said:
Also, the Omega template alone demands that you release the Bestiary Vol. 2 at the earliest opportunity.

I'm sorry dude: Ascension then Grimoire then Bestiary 2.

Also I may be changing the Omega Template concept with the Alpha Template. See one of my above posts.

Upper_Krust said:
I understand the mechanic, but (like a lot of things), its the explanation that is tricky.
I am sure a few things need tweaked. Astro Effect (to name but one) is totally wrong. :eek:
Anti-Matter [Effect] Sounds like it either A - damages the foe with dice of their HD size, or B - Uses their HD as the rate of which a certain ammount of damage is dealt (Possibly also including idea A :))
As for astro... An example Demiurge or whatever, even with 320 HD, has an 80% chance to kill his or her foe with each hit from a ray... (Granted a stage 1 demiurge can't take it 4 times normally, but the math is still there)
Perhaps .1% times HD? Time Lords of 1000 HD then would have a 100% chance... Or .05%, but then a stage 1 demiurge taking it just once has a 4% chance...
There is no simple math for this. :) (Maybe a cap of % at some point? Is there a bonus to having a % higher than 100? or is it just "I kill you so bad, your alternate dimention twins are gonna feel it!" )
I think the Omega effect is the most broken right now. As it is written, it has a good shot of auto-killing any foe of equal HD, even if taken once or twice it is crippling. (1d4 levels annihilated per level? Mathematically, this wins almost any fight)
Oh, and something I must note - In a couple situations (rulings/details dependant) Polymath is better than Omniparity.
I do not believe Epic feats due to epic levels in base classes are "Class Features" but with Polymath, you get to freely swap them in and out in any combination you like, while it seems with Omniparity, you just get the powers of all the other classes.
Granted, you need Polymath to take Omniparity in the first place. :)
Oh do either of the classes take Prestige Classes into account? That makes Omniparity really good then :) (And by really good, I mean insanely powerful, and confusing:))

Hiya mate! :)

historian said:
I agree with Ltheb that it is not broken. Essentially only a Duad High Lord or better would have the slots to afford both and even at that they would be Esoteric abilities.

BTW, I admit to being completely bumfuzzled by Table 4-4. :confused:

Does anyone have a firm handle on this?

Sorry about that, I'll explain it better for the next update. :eek:

Basically if the Bonus is +1 for a fstatic eat, then the same bonus in a divine ability will be +6. If its +1 for a fluid feat, then it would be +18 for a divine ability.

If you start the feat at +2 (as with Great Fortitude) then the figures are doubled, etc.

historian

First Post
Hey U_K! :)

Sorry about that, I'll explain it better for the next update.

Basically if the Bonus is +1 for a fstatic eat, then the same bonus in a divine ability will be +6. If its +1 for a fluid feat, then it would be +18 for a divine ability.

If you start the feat at +2 (as with Great Fortitude) then the figures are doubled, etc.

Thanks dude, I wasn't sweating it as that particular table looks to be a work in progress.

I have been keenly interested in the CR modifiers for the higher tiered abilities and it looks like you've got your solution. :)

Hi all! :)

I'm starting to shore up some of the weak areas of the Ability lists.

Specifically with regards class based powers.

I like each to have 4-8 Feats, 3-6 Divine, 2-4 Cosmic and 1-2 Transcendental.

I think I am lacking Transcendentals for most:

Barbarian: ?
Bard: ?
Cleric: perhaps Sanctity should be Transcendental
Druid: perhaps Molymorph should be Transcendental
Fighter: TransAttack Period or Perfect Strike
Monk: Quivering Aura
Paladin: perhaps Cogency should be Transcendental
Ranger: ?
Rogue: perhaps Underhanded should be Transcendental
Sorcerer: ?
Wizard: ?

The last two probably blend into a catch all 'Spellcasting' category.

I also think I am probably shy a few Ranger abilities. I have come up with Inspire Animosity, but thats probably going to be a Divine Ability (In fact I am wondering about a range of Inspire [Insert Class Ability] type abilities (Inspire Sneak Attack etc.).

So if anyone can think of some good Ranger abilities, feel free to post them. Another Monk and Barbarian cosmic ability would be cool too.

I'm wondering about a Clerical ability whereby Turned Undead are automatically resurrected instead of destroyed.

Does anyone see any other Class weaknesses (other than Psionic Classes)?

A few people have spoken to me about more Archer based powers, so I'll be looking into coming up with a few more of those.

Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads