• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immortals Handbook - ASCENSION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nifelhein

First Post
Upper_Krust said:
Thanks for all the great ideas guys.

Hey there matey! :)

Well I'd have to read the fine print on the Efreet's contract.

You may need to buy back your soul before ascension could take place, of course a potential immortal soul may cost more. ;)

Welcome to the capitalism based on souls, like country loans, they have heroes souls... ;)

Anabstercorian

First Post
Upper_Krust said:
Hey Sledge matey! :)

Are you sure you wouldn't rather wait for Beta 1.0...?

Actually, I've got a question. Are you just writing this now? Seriously, what is UP with this? What have you been writing all this time that you have to write it all right now?

In other words, what are you DOING?

Nifelhein

First Post
I bet he has more than a thousand pages of notes to compile to actually make the book, and that this is what he is doing right now. ;)

Pssthpok

First Post
UK, you'll want to replace all references to Pick Pockets to Sleight of Hand. Dream Stealer could use another sentence, too. What happens when you steal someone's dream?

Also, smite damage is multiplied on a critical hit, IIRC. Any additional damage not measured in dice is multiplied (like Specialization and Favored Enemy damage).

Secondly, there is a big chunk of table off on another page, at the end of the Divine Abilities section. Is this a table formatting thing that will be fixed before the 1.0 release?

Thirdly, where are the rules for Resonance? Coming in 1.0 I hope...

Fourthly, suppose one wanted a [Spell] [Effect] power? For instance, I want to make an entity with a Dominate Person Storm/Aura and another entity with a Flesh to Stone Visage. How would you suggest I break things like that down?

Finally, the Intellectual Soul Etc. line of abilities is bordering on overpowered unless you think at least +15 to AC, attack and damage, or saves is worth +1 CR. I don't know what you could do to fix them other than wrap their effects around a +1 to CR.
+4 to all saves is weak for an Divine Ability but technically on par (+12 equals about 6 feats: 2 save feats per save) unless you're measuring by Epic [Save] feats, in which case you'd double that to +8 to all saves.

Sledge

First Post
Upper_Krust said:
Hey Sledge matey! :)
Are you sure you wouldn't rather wait for Beta 1.0...?

I'm crying here behind my screen. Was I not one of the first to buy the bestiary? The fact of the matter is I'm interested in seeing what you've got as soon as you will send it. My epic game has been placed on hold for the time being however so I won't die if I don't have it tomorrow.... I'll just keep crying. ;)

Anabstercorian said:
Actually, I've got a question. Are you just writing this now? Seriously, what is UP with this? What have you been writing all this time that you have to write it all right now?

Heh, well the Worship Point system was a good bit of text, (He did say he had left a half-dozen pages out because he was not finished with them) as were the divinity templates. The formating in Adobe, I have heard, is a pain, so that may complicate the matter.
Though, judging by what was completed after the bestiary cover was finished, I would say it won't take more than one update to spell out all of chapter 4. Chapter 3 will be next, and I would imagine that alot of it is copy-paste the format and write fluff.
'Tis a big project, definitely not one I would try to do.
Oh, Sledge, you may want 1.0 if you really need Immortal rules. Most/all of them should be written by then. (Perhaps not portfolios, but maybe if U_K gets in gear...) I had enough to convert 2 characters from previous games (sans portfolios) just fine with the latest update.
As for the Intellectual Soul line of powers -
My take is since they effectively allow a fluid scaling of an otherwise static statistic like AC or saves (Not static, but now more fluid) over levels. They basically mean it is difficult, but not impossible, to attack a creature in that area. U_K's deities are not immune to everything under the sun, so if adding Int to AC seems like a good defence against your character, perhaps reducing the target's Int would be a good option...
That being said, I think they are ok, but they do give untyped bonuses. (Unless I read the wrong table/listing) Perhaps if Intelligence gave an Insight bonus, Wisdom gave a Sacred/Profane bonus, and Charisma gave a morale bonus, they wouldn't seem as such "freebie power boosts." (Since they wouldn't stack with similar bonuses that players may add to such areas)

Hiya mate! :)

Anabstercorian said:
Actually, I've got a question. Are you just writing this now?

Yes and no.

I work in notebooks. But what I write initially isn't always what ends up being typed up (I may have missed something, or thought of something better, so it will get a rewrite). Also, with regards mechanics (such as for a divine ability), I don't always write the prose out fully, just shorthand.

Lastly, I have a tendency to write things multiple times (helps the brainstorming process) so things are constantly evolving. For example, eighteen months ago, I was only planning on about 128 divine powers.

Anabstercorian said:
Seriously, what is UP with this? What have you been writing all this time that you have to write it all right now?

'Write' is the wrong word, 'Type' might be a better word.

Even though I have actually had about 3 or 4 incarnations of this book, the previous versions don't bare that much resemblance to the current beta.

Anabstercorian said:

Taking the best bits from my notebooks to put into Ascension.

Hey Pssthpok dude! :)

Pssthpok said:
UK, you'll want to replace all references to Pick Pockets to Sleight of Hand. Dream Stealer could use another sentence, too. What happens when you steal someone's dream?

I know.

Pssthpok said:
Also, smite damage is multiplied on a critical hit, IIRC. Any additional damage not measured in dice is multiplied (like Specialization and Favored Enemy damage).

Where in the rules does it specify this?

Pssthpok said:
Secondly, there is a big chunk of table off on another page, at the end of the Divine Abilities section. Is this a table formatting thing that will be fixed before the 1.0 release?

Don't worry about that, I will need the run off when I add the majority of the prerequisites to the table.

Pssthpok said:
Thirdly, where are the rules for Resonance? Coming in 1.0 I hope...

:uhoh:

Pssthpok said:
Fourthly, suppose one wanted a [Spell] [Effect] power? For instance, I want to make an entity with a Dominate Person Storm/Aura and another entity with a Flesh to Stone Visage. How would you suggest I break things like that down?

I had Spell [Effect] for ages, and I just removed it at the last minute because I thought it might be too difficult to adjudicate.

Pssthpok said:
Finally, the Intellectual Soul Etc. line of abilities is bordering on overpowered unless you think at least +15 to AC, attack and damage, or saves is worth +1 CR. I don't know what you could do to fix them other than wrap their effects around a +1 to CR.

The attack and damage is broken, but simply attack or damage is not.

Pssthpok said:
+4 to all saves is weak for an Divine Ability but technically on par (+12 equals about 6 feats: 2 save feats per save) unless you're measuring by Epic [Save] feats, in which case you'd double that to +8 to all saves.

Okay I am confused. What divine ability is granting +4 to all saves?

Thanks for the help mate.

Hiya Sledge mate! :)

Sledge said:
I'm crying here behind my screen. Was I not one of the first to buy the bestiary? The fact of the matter is I'm interested in seeing what you've got as soon as you will send it. My epic game has been placed on hold for the time being however so I won't die if I don't have it tomorrow.... I'll just keep crying. ;)

Email me. ;)

Upper_Krust said:
Where in the rules does it specify this?
SRD link: Damage Multiplication: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatStatistics.htm#multiplyingDamage
It specifically says Damage Dice, not bonuses to damage. It may be possible to argue either way, but the wording seems to favor multiplying any non-variable bonus to damage. (Also this is the reason the Energy Blast powers in the epic book are worded as such, so they don't try to break the rule, even though we all know they do 3d6 damage, and multiply on a crit.)
Then again, this is D20, the same system that never says there is any penalty for being dead (Such as not being able to move or talk) Nor is there anything that prevents a character from buying 1 million Slings. (They cost nothing, and weigh nothing. 3rd edtion pays no heed to volume, just mass) Iron pots, if melted down, also yield twice their worth in iron, and thus, if reforged, create two iron pots...

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads