• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immortals Handbook - ASCENSION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! :)

I think if you start rating individual feats differently then you are probably asking for trouble (or at least a headache).

As for rating the power of epic feats I have done this at the start of Chapter 4 in Ascension.

Its different for fluid and non-fluid bonuses.

Fluid being a bonus that automatically increases with level/hit dice (such as attack bonus or saving throw bonus).

Hey guys! :)

Just updated a few minutes ago.

It has the stats for the first ten sample immortals (some finished some almost finished) and some extra pages. I also just noticed I have accidentally cut about half a dozen pages (some from the previous update) - why not just go back and redo the update I hear you cry? Well, I've been having a severe problem with my mouse for a few days, its had its day I think. Going through the document these past few days has been a torturous process. I'm going to have to get a new mouse within the next day or two because its driving me crazy. :mad: The upshot of that is creating a new update would take me about an hour and a half instead of 15 minutes. Not exactly time well spent.

foreverelf

Forever DM
Very accurate the traits applied to Achilles´ spear U_K ! :D

And well, the loss of the missing pages is no big deal to me, I can wait.

Saludos!

U_K!
Hurray! Update!
Algol is crazy! (Haha a pun) Although his current lack of a ranged attack makes him "easy" to defeat. (Be faster than him, and be able to resist his aura. Use ranged attacks on him) Though his portfolios might give him the edge he needs.

All of your other sample gods look nice. I especially like the way you changed Soniferous; Less munchkin-y and more awesome.

WarDragon

First Post
Looking good, U_K! As always, assume that I like anything I don't nitpick about. ;)

Since Portfolios are so important to the deities, I think there should probably be a place for them in the stat block, say, right between Feats and Divine Abilities. No need to list every ability out, just what their portfolios are. Right now, we have to guess for everyone but Surtur and Dagda.

Morgan doesn't qualify for Mystic Theurge; you need at least four levels of Sorcerer, since that's when they get the required 2nd level spells. I would have pegged her as LE or NE, but that's your call.

What does the Staff of Summer do? Why does the CG Thunderbird have the Lawful and Evil subtypes?

Why does Vainamoinen have VSCs (or at least a ludicrous weight) and only 24 Strength? And greataxes aren't missile weapons. :p

You forgot No Cha's alignment subtype. If they're only given to deities with those domains, he shouldn't automatically pierce alignment DR. He's got the same weight/strength discrepancy as Vainamoinen. Why does he penetrate DR as silver, when his own DR doesn't include it and he doesn't have the Epic feat for it?

Hecate is scary. I really don't think Ensorcelled should apply to Epic spells. O_O Why does she know all spells, from one of her artifacts?

You forgot Horus' alignment subtypes. If they're only given to deities with those domains, he shouldn't automatically pierce alignment DR. You misspelled "bestow" under his Crown.

Dagda's AC seems rather low for a Skyfather. Generally, if a character can hit themselves on a 2, even when using a lot of Power Attack or Combat Expertise, the AC needs boosting.

You forgot Surtur's alignment subtypes. If they're only given to deities with those domains, he shouldn't automatically pierce alignment DR.

You forgot Algol's alignment subtypes. If they're only given to deities with those domains, he shouldn't automatically pierce alignment DR. His AC seems low, as well. An Old One with Int 3? o_O

Hi foreverelf matey! :)

foreverelf said:
Very accurate the traits applied to Achilles´ spear U_K ! :D

Well I don't know about that, but its as accurate as I could get it within the parameters of the D&D rules. Of course Achilles artifacts were easier than some of the others because they are a bit clearer defined.

foreverelf said:
And well, the loss of the missing pages is no big deal to me, I can wait.

It was only some Avatar pages and the Surtur secondary stuff.

foreverelf said:

All the best. :)

Ltheb Silverfrond said:

Howdy! :)

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Hurray! Update!

I thught it was about time. :eek:

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Algol is crazy! (Haha a pun) Although his current lack of a ranged attack makes him "easy" to defeat. (Be faster than him, and be able to resist his aura. Use ranged attacks on him) Though his portfolios might give him the edge he needs.

His portfolios give him an Energy Drain Ray and a Wisdom Drain Ray. Or even split the difference and do both.

He also has Alter Reality of course.

Lastly, I still have to finish his feats. I'll probably convert them into divine abilities or maybe even give him lots of AMC.

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
All of your other sample gods look nice. I especially like the way you changed Soniferous; Less munchkin-y and more awesome.

The Soniferous power was inspired by Horus to begin with.

The problems with some of the other artifacts are mainly just trying to get them to fit the right niche.

Hecate has given me a number of problems because three of her four items seem martial based (namely the Knife, Rope/Whip and Torch). Also there is a six armed version of Hecate that carries three torches (on one side) and holds the Key, Knife and Rope/Whip in the other. Shes a very complex character.

I'm also not sure I can even give her Ensorcelled because her Charisma is not high enough.

I didn't want to give her an item that doubles her Charisma because that is what Aphrodite has (in the myths).

Hi WarDragon dude! :)

WarDragon said:
Looking good, U_K! As always, assume that I like anything I don't nitpick about. ;)

Nitpick away. I appreciate all constructive criticism.

WarDragon said:
Since Portfolios are so important to the deities, I think there should probably be a place for them in the stat block, say, right between Feats and Divine Abilities. No need to list every ability out, just what their portfolios are. Right now, we have to guess for everyone but Surtur and Dagda.

I totally agree. I am just wondering what is the best way to do this (in the stat 'block' or listed after COMBAT as one of the abilities.

WarDragon said:
Morgan doesn't qualify for Mystic Theurge; you need at least four levels of Sorcerer, since that's when they get the required 2nd level spells. I would have pegged her as LE or NE, but that's your call.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to change that.

Chaotic Evil stays though. ;)

WarDragon said:
What does the Staff of Summer do?

Its basically a +7 aberration dread version of the Staff of Nature's Fury. The reason I didn't write it up is because I'm just not happy with that incarnation of it.

WarDragon said:
Why does the CG Thunderbird have the Lawful and Evil subtypes?

Oops. :eek:

WarDragon said:
Why does Vainamoinen have VSCs (or at least a ludicrous weight) and only 24 Strength? And greataxes aren't missile weapons. :p

Weird. Must just be an honest mistake.

I'm not happy with the names of Vainamoinen's weapons at all. I read the darn Kalevala and couldn't find where they are named.

WarDragon said:
You forgot No Cha's alignment subtype. If they're only given to deities with those domains, he shouldn't automatically pierce alignment DR. He's got the same weight/strength discrepancy as Vainamoinen. Why does he penetrate DR as silver, when his own DR doesn't include it and he doesn't have the Epic feat for it?

His skin is silver. In effect he IS silver or at least silver plated. Thats why he gets to pierce it. I just thought it was a cool idea and abridged why he would live in the Nine Hells, because he scares even devils.

WarDragon said:
Hecate is scary. I really don't think Ensorcelled should apply to Epic spells. O_O Why does she know all spells, from one of her artifacts?

Well the Torch is known as the Torch of Enlightenment. So my initial thoughts were that it would give her the Enlightenment ability. However, I am not totally sold on the idea, because it doesn't gel with why she would wield three torches.

WarDragon said:
You forgot Horus' alignment subtypes. If they're only given to deities with those domains, he shouldn't automatically pierce alignment DR. You misspelled "bestow" under his Crown.

I'm sure when I finish (and spellcheck) the appendices, that will all be cleared up.

WarDragon said:
Dagda's AC seems rather low for a Skyfather. Generally, if a character can hit themselves on a 2, even when using a lot of Power Attack or Combat Expertise, the AC needs boosting.

Combat based immortals will generally hit every opponent on a '2'. The exception to this is going to be some sort of heavily min/maxed deity who has put in a lot of work on their AC.

While I am trying to build each deity to be tough, I still try and follow the myths as close as possible. Dagda runs about in rags, and is a bit of a fatty. So hes not especially quick on his feet, doesn't wear armour of note.

Although I don't believe I have added Dagda's +16 morale bonus yet (from his Cauldron).

There may also be other bonuses from the Throne of the Gods that increase this.

He can also cast Epic Mage Armor.

So he is not exactly of a low AC. Its just that AC is not his speciality, having loads of hit points is! ;)

WarDragon said:
You forgot Surtur's alignment subtypes. If they're only given to deities with those domains, he shouldn't automatically pierce alignment DR.

Okay.

WarDragon said:
You forgot Algol's alignment subtypes. If they're only given to deities with those domains, he shouldn't automatically pierce alignment DR. His AC seems low, as well. An Old One with Int 3? o_O

Algol is insane. Incidently the bonuses that would have been added to Int and Wis were halved then spread spread amongst other ability scores.

As for his low AC, I'm not totally sure where else to go with it. Maybe adding Nebulous?

Another point of note with Algol is that he has no artifacts.

I am trying out some rules for using monsters in place of artifacts.

Pssthpok

First Post
re: the three torches... maybe each one gives her Enlightenment for 3 spell levels? i.e. one torch gives her up to 3rd, the other 6ths, etc.

Also, there's a LOT of copy/paste flaws in the portfolios. Just a heads up; there are too many to list.

Otherwise, it's looking better all the time. I put Achilles against a 31st level sorcerer and a 30th level priest last night and he only lost by happenstance. He's easily capable of dealing hundreds and hundreds of points of damage in a round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads