• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immortals Handbook - ASCENSION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anabstercorian

First Post
Upper_Krust said:
It just seems really dangerous because with 4 artfacts you have four focal points, now Algol is getting 128. It might work if I give him four Transcendental powers instead. Its less a balance issue and more a complexity issue.

Give it Cosmic Inspiration/Nescience, Sunstruck, and the sextuple of Cosmics: Cursed/Daunting Body/Mind/Soul.

Phantom Llama

First Post
Algol doesn't qualify for Starstruck; he needs Moonstruck and wildshaping ability.

This highlights a problem with those abilities - while the names line up nicely, the flavour doesn't match. Why are druids, servants of nature, becoming horrid unnatural explosions of chaos and thought? Why do you need to be a lycanthrope and servant of nature to become such?

Hiya mate! :)

Kalitharus said:
*...waiting for Surtur to be posted on the website...*

Almost ready. Should be up later tonight.

On that note, should I keep in the Non-epic Encounter Table for Surtur's Realm (on top of the epic encounter Table)? It sort of seems to be a bit disjointed, predictable and altogether just unnecessary...and is taking up a bit of room I could be using to flesh out the various pertinent locations.

Regarding Algol...

He could have (in place of artifacts)

3 Transcendental Powers
3 Cosmic Powers
2 Divine Powers

I'm thinking maybe:

Uncanny Atomic Mastery filling up one of the Transcendental Powers (which may or may not have been part of the Helioiedes Template).

Interdimensional...which solves the AC problem.

Transversal...which gives him quite a good reach. :)

Nebulous (prereq for Interdimensional).

Moonstruck (prereq for Starstruck).

Any other suggestions?

Hi Phantom Llama! :)

Phantom Llama said:
Algol doesn't qualify for Starstruck; he needs Moonstruck and wildshaping ability.

This highlights a problem with those abilities - while the names line up nicely, the flavour doesn't match. Why are druids, servants of nature, becoming horrid unnatural explosions of chaos and thought? Why do you need to be a lycanthrope and servant of nature to become such?

Good point, you shouldn't really need Wildshaping for that particular chain.

Anabstercorian

First Post
Upper_Krust said:
Regarding Algol...

He could have (in place of artifacts)

3 Transcendental Powers
3 Cosmic Powers
2 Divine Powers

I'm thinking maybe:

Uncanny Atomic Mastery filling up one of the Transcendental Powers (which may or may not have been part of the Helioiedes Template).

201hd

So, his Sun Aura would inflict:
* 50d4 force damage (avg. 125)
* DC 142 (50d6) disintigration
* 50d6 fire damage (avg. 175)
* 8 of Str, Con, and Dex drain
* Winds (2010 ft.)

Upper_Krust said:
Interdimensional...which solves the AC problem.

Works.

Upper_Krust said:
Transversal...which gives him quite a good reach. :)

Hmmm. This prevents the terrifying sequence where he's coming within range of the earth - if his reach is infinite, he can start ravaging a planet from the Oort cloud.

Upper_Krust said:
Nebulous (prereq for Interdimensional).

Moonstruck (prereq for Starstruck).

Upper_Krust said:
Any other suggestions?

Inner Eye (Cosmic) will greatly improve the killing power of his aura.

Legendary Charisma (Cosmic) will make him an appropriately soul-killingly powerful presence of chaos.

Telluric Effect (Divine) goes wonderfully with the Atomic power.

Oh, and I found an error on page 133. Positive Energy Effect's flavor text talks about energy drain.

WarDragon

First Post
Oh, I just had another thought regarding artifacts for monstrous immortals. Instead of replacing all of them with extra abilities, why not let them give enchantments to their natural weapons and defenses equivalent to the weapons and armor that others would get? Might be kind of crazy, allowing all 50 slams to have the same enhancements, though.... maybe each individual attack would count as a separate artifact?

Axolotl

First Post
How do Portfolios work? I'm trying to stat up some gods using the templates but I'm not sure how to use Portfolios.

Also do the bonuses to ability scores from a divine template grant Virtual Size Catagories? Similarly does the omnific ability that grants Infinite Strength grant them?

Also thanks for such a fantastic book. This and the Epic Bestiary 1 are the best books I've read for DnD, can't wait for the illustrations.

Hey guys! :)

sorry there is no Surtur up just yet. He's 99% finished, I'm just basically still pondering three things.

1. What the best solution is to the 'less than 4 artifacts' rule.
2. Should he have integrated Fighter levels or Sorcerer levels.
3. Should he have the Destruction or Earth portfolios (In addition to the Fire portfolio).

Hiya mate! :)

Anabstercorian said:
201hd

So, his Sun Aura would inflict:
* 50d4 force damage (avg. 125)
* DC 142 (50d6) disintigration
* 50d6 fire damage (avg. 175)
* 8 of Str, Con, and Dex drain
* Winds (2010 ft.)

Sort of. Something I noticed about Surtur is that his breath weapon (from Fire Mastery) is totally pants for a cosmic deity.

I think it makes much more sense to use d20's. However that may be a transcendental upgrade (in that its sort of duplicating Uncanny Cosmic Mastery).

Anabstercorian said:
Hmmm. This prevents the terrifying sequence where he's coming within range of the earth - if his reach is infinite, he can start ravaging a planet from the Oort cloud.

Agreed - he sort of needs something in between. I am of the opinion that Infinite reach should probably be an Omnific power.

What we need is something that lets him physically reach as far as his divine aura.

Anabstercorian said:
Inner Eye (Cosmic) will greatly improve the killing power of his aura.

True but it is more of a fate based power while Algol is primarily a thought/entropy based entity.

Anabstercorian said:
Legendary Charisma (Cosmic) will make him an appropriately soul-killingly powerful presence of chaos.

Telluric Effect (Divine) goes wonderfully with the Atomic power.

I was going to be very cruel and give him Dead Zone.

Anabstercorian said:
Oh, and I found an error on page 133. Positive Energy Effect's flavor text talks about energy drain.

Thanks for the heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads