D&D 5E Into the Dragon's Maw (OOC)

OK, now I grok what's going on, and it makes sense. Pell's init placed him acting prior to the wyrmling rising from the water, so he had to wait to act (by taking a readied action). After re-reading the IC and seeing your post here in the OOC (Matthan), I think I now owe an action for Round 2, which I can get to this evening. Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday are my regular court hearing days, and because on January 1 I picked up all the juvenile delinquency cases for my county, I've been overwhelmed at work coping with both the docket and learning a new (to me) area of the law. If I can squeeze in a post prior to this evening, I'll do so.

Radaceus

Adventurer
waiting for last action/initiative after Ursus.

and 'sigh', I have missed something in my hectic week ( I just finished moving house.. monstrous task, i need to have less stuff! I have one room full of books alone!).

My contingency is triggered by a dragon, and these are dragonlings? I need a ruling on this, if these dragonlings trigger my contingency, I can incorperate it into the narrative of my following action.

When Ignis framed the parameters of the contingency he was thinking of the legendary creature surrounding the Dragon's Maw. I'm thinking yes it's triggered, as a technicality, and why bother with such a question. But it never hurts to ask, get input

Radaceus

Adventurer
I retconned the triggered effect of the Contingency

on a side note
Paralyzed condition ( Held): attacks made against are at advantage, any successful attack made on a paralyzed creature from within 5' are critical hits.

Matthan

Explorer
I retconned the triggered effect of the Contingency

on a side note
Paralyzed condition ( Held): attacks made against are at advantage, any successful attack made on a paralyzed creature from within 5' are critical hits.

That's probably the right call. I read this on Friday before having my weekend sucked away by a wedding (work a few hours and make a few bucks only had the latter half come true) and kept trying to figure out a way to help you save the contingency. "Blasted technicalities," indeed.

All right, I think we have enough to move forward so hopefully we'll move combat forward this afternoon/evening.

CanadienneBacon that's fine to take the reaction to uncanny dodge. It's not fair to punish you for my lack of clear communication. If we were at a table, it would have sorted itself out so I'm fine with sorting it out this way here. I'm hopeful the bit at the end that updates where all the monsters are should smooth out the clarity issue.
I only want to take the reaction for uncanny dodge if Pell has a reaction available at the time he suffered the damage. No special favors! If he didn't have his reaction available, then please forge ahead with the full 37 hp damage. Thanks! (let me know)

Matthan

Explorer
I only want to take the reaction for uncanny dodge if Pell has a reaction available at the time he suffered the damage. No special favors! If he didn't have his reaction available, then please forge ahead with the full 37 hp damage. Thanks! (let me know)

Well, here's the issue for me. I failed to adequately draw attention that the wyrmlings were out of melee range (that's why they provoked attacks of opportunity-they moved away from melee with everyone either back underwater or into the air). In my initial post, I said that some were 20ft underwater and others were 50ft flying above. Except for my spellcasters, everyone wrote their post to engage in melee with the monsters. That tells me that I did not adequately describe the situation so to rectify that, the only way to make a melee attack to work is to retcon your posts somewhat into a readied action (which would use your reaction) for when the monsters are in melee range (or in Ursus' case, just fudge the narrative a bit).

I had two options when I wrote up the second round. I could have paused and corrected everyone who made melee attacks. That would have slowed down the game further as we waited on them to update posts. Or I could roll with it and make it work as readied actions and choose to not let the wyrmlings provoke AoOs since it was my choice to push the game forward took away a reaction that the players didn't choose to lose. That's why I'm okay with letting you use Uncanny Dodge. I took your reaction for game pacing sake. You didn't make that informed choice and had you been informed, you likely would not have made that choice.

It's up to you. I don't see it as a special favor as much as it is bumps in the learning curve. We can handle it a few ways. 1. You can take the Uncanny Dodge and I'll hopefully communicate the particulars of the battlefield better in the future. 2. We can retcon your prior action (because you wouldn't have taken a melee action if you knew you couldn't reach it) and preserve your reaction for Uncanny Dodge. 3. You can take full damage.

Personally, I felt that the first option was the simplest and fairest since the issue stemmed from my failures and liberties taken. I'm also fine with number 2. I would feel bad about you taking #3 since it was my choice and not yours that created that situation. Again though, it's your choice.

I know it's probably a weird standard to hold a PbP game to, but I'm comparing the issues to what would have happened if we were playing around a table. If you had said that you wanted Pell to stab the one under him, I would have immediately told you that it's out of range and given you the option to Ready an Action or choose another action, and that would be it. Due to the issues of PbP, it got away from me and everyone misunderstood what was happening (which means I did not draw enough attention to the dragonlings' present locations). I don't want to punish your character for my mistake and a situation that would not have happened if we were playing face to face.

Some questions: What round did you last post results for in the IC? What round are we currently on?

And a response: Let's leave the 37 hp damage in place. It doesn't sound like Pell had a reaction available to him when the damage occurred. I think I should have realized the dragonlings were both out of melee reach.

An aside: I need to know what round we're in, and what actions Pell has available for that round. My guess: we're in Round 3, and Pell has an Action (which will be an actual Action and not a Readied Action because the dragonling's head is above the water), a Reaction (in which case I want to use Uncanny Dodge this round (but NOT last round)), a Move, and a Bonus Action (if any). I've declared an attack as Pell's action, so we should be all square there. If it is okay with you, the only thing I would like to request is that you permit me to edit my last post in the IC to include a statement that Pell uses his Reaction on Uncanny Dodge if another attack comes his way, and that he uses his Bonus Action this round to Disengage.

Matthan

Explorer
The monsters have acted twice so we are moving into round 3. Absolutely edit your post however you need to. I won't consider it 'locked' per se until I do the monsters actions. That doesn't bother me a bit.

3SpdDragster

First Post
I have to admit I am a bit lost, [MENTION=20005]Matthan[/MENTION] . I am not sure if anyone else feels the same and I don't need a cry of affirmations, but I am unsure as to what round we are in, who is taking actions in what order or the positions of the creatures relative to individuals.

I don't want you to get disheartened but I need a bit more structure to the "combat rounds" to make sense of what Ursus is doing. The amount of to-ing and fro-ing with questions is really getting away from the intent to speed things up.

May I recommend having a round counter of some kind to let us know when out Reactions etc reset?

I apologise if I come across like a whiner but I just don't know when to post for Ursus and what is going on in the round.

Matthan

Explorer
Sure! This is a learning experience for me after all. Help me out though. Were you able to follow the positions of all the dragons when I wrote them out at the end of the last turn or would it help for me to sketch something visual out? Let me grab that and include it here:

[SBLOCK=Dragon Positions]Ursus’ Dragonling: Paralyzed 20 ft below surface of water on the floor of the pool. Paralyzed condition negates the disadvantage from the murky water so any ranged attacks can be made normally.

Ignis’ Dragonling: 20 ft in the air above Ignis. Can be targeted at range normally.

Cade’s Dragonling: Hovering directly in front of Cade. Can be targeted in melee or range normally.

Pell’s Dragonling: Neck and head raised out of the water directly in front of Pell. Can be targeted in melee or range normally.

Faera’s Dragonling: 20 ft in the air above Faera. Can be targeted at range normally.

Lakeover’s Dragonling: 20ft below the surface of the water moving towards Lakeover. Can be targeted at range at disadvantage.[/SBLOCK]

I posted the initiative order in the initial round. I'll include that in every post going forward while we are in combat. Let me go back and revisit my last post and see if I can't edit it into a better format for everybody. Give me a few minutes.

Remove ads