D&D 5E Into the Dragon's Maw (OOC)

River Song

Explorer
Hi there, if you are still looking for players/characters I would love to have a play, I was thinking of a Dragonborn Paladin or a Dwarven Rogue.

At the moment I am playing in Assault on Dire Wood.

@3SpdDragster thanks, but I am pretty sure I stole the format myself. :)

Matthan

Explorer
Okay, I'm going to start working my way through the characters as I have time.
[MENTION=6792106]Sezarious[/MENTION] :Bok Ro Dun looks good so far, but needs a background and magical items. You also have three languages known. Until you have your background set, I think that would just be two. Feel free to customize a background (as per PHB 125). In fact, that goes for anybody.
[MENTION=6805287]3SpdDragster[/MENTION] :About to have to run and pick up my son, but Ursus looks good. The only thing I haven't finished checking is the magical items. On first blush, you need to let me know what kind of sword your Flametongue is, but I'll look over all of them.

Thanks for your patience, everybody. I'll try and get through all the characters this week and close out recruitment to start play next week. It'll be slow with the holidays, but we can at least get started.

3SpdDragster

First Post
[MENTION=6805287]3SpdDragster[/MENTION] :About to have to run and pick up my son, but Ursus looks good. The only thing I haven't finished checking is the magical items. On first blush, you need to let me know what kind of sword your Flametongue is, but I'll look over all of them.

Yes, I forgot that. Longsword. :)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Hey guys, is there still an open spot?
I'm tempted to try a strait-up warlock, no multiclass, to see how viable the class is at high levels.
ok?

Cheers,

SG

I've been working on drafting two alternate character concepts. One is a Half-Orc Rogue (Arcane Trickster) 12. The other is a Human Bard (College of Jazz (homebrew)) 12. The rogue is brand new. The bard is a recycled character named Picayune from a failed game on EN World. More later tonight from me on both concepts.

Pell, NG Half Orc Rogue (Arcane Trickster) 12

2s85vlk.jpg

[sblock=Nuts]hp 75 (9+6+6+6+6+6+6+6+6+6+6+6)
Hit Dice 12d8
AC 15 (Studded leather +2)
Initiative +6 (Alert feat)
Darkvision 60’
Speed 30’
Languages: Common, Orc (race), Thieves’ Cant (class), Elvish (background)
Passive Perception 17

Str 18
Dex 12
Con 12
Int 18
Wis 8
Cha 10

Base Ability Scores: Str 15, Dex 12, Con 11, Int 15, Wis 8, Cha 10
Half-Orc: Str +2, Con +1
ASI: 4th lvl Int +2; 8th lvl Str +1, Int +1; 10th lvl Alert; 12th lvl Dungeon Delver

Proficiencies:
Armor: Light
Weapons: Simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords
Proficiency Bonus: +4
Thieves’ tools
Skills: Athletics (class), Investigation (class), Intimidation (race), Perception (class), Stealth (class), Sleight of Hand (background), Performance (background)
Saves: Dexterity +5, Intelligence +8
Menacing (race): Proficiency with Intimidation skill

Background: Troubadour (custom)
Skill Proficiencies: Sleight of Hand, Performance
Tool Proficiencies: Disguise kit
Equipment: None
Language: Elvish
Trait: I always tell the truth, often to my detriment.
Ideal: Art is the highest calling.
Bond: The High Court of the City of Tunnine convicted me of possession of an illegal substance (I pedaled indulgences to the nobility). I need to find a way to pay my court fines, else my suspended sentence will be revoked.
Flaw: I have a weak will and am easily tempted.

Abilities:
Relentless Endurance: When you are reduced to 0 hp but not killed outright, you can drop to 1 hp instead. You can’t use this feature again until you finish a long rest.
Savage Attacks: When you score a critical hit with a melee attack weapon, you can roll one of the weapon’s damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.
Sneak Attack: Once per turn you can deal an extra 6d6 to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon. You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.
Expertise: Thieves’ Tools (1st lvl), Perception (1st lvl), Sleight of Hand (6th lvl), Stealth (6th lvl)
Cunning Action: You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat to Dash, Disengage, or Hide.
Roguish Archetype (Arcane Trickster)
Uncanny Dodge: When an attacker that you can see hits you with an attack, you can use your reaction to halve the attack’s damage.
Evasion: When you are subjected to an effect that allows you to make a Dex saving throw to take only half damage, you instead take no damage if you succeed on the saving throw, and only half damage if you fail.
Reliable Talent: Whenever you make an ability check that lets you add your proficiency bonus, you can treat a d20 roll of 9 or lower as a 10.
Mage Hand Legerdemain: You can make mage hand invisible, and can perform the following additional tasks: 1) stow one object the hand is holding in a container worn or carried by another creature; 2) retrieve an object in a container worn or carried by another creature; 3) use thieves’ tools to pick locks and disarm traps at range. You can perform one of these tasks without being noticed by a creature if you succeed on a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check contested by the creature’s Wisdom (Perception) check.
Magical Ambush: If you are hidden from a creature when you cast a spell on it, the creature has disadvantage on any saving throw it makes against the spell this turn.

Feats:
Alert (10th lvl ASI feat): PHB165. +5 to initiative; can’t be surprised while conscious; other creatures don’t gain advantage on attack rolls against you as a result of being hidden from you.
Dungeon Delver (12 lvl ASI feat): PHB 166. Advantage of Perception and Investigation checks to detect secret doors; advantage on saving throws to avoid or resist traps; resistance to damage dealt by traps; can search for traps while traveling at a normal pace, instead of only at a slow pace.

Spellcasting:
Spell save DC 16
Spell attack modifier +8
Cantrips (4): mage hand, fire bolt (10), minor illusion, prestidigitation
Spells Known (8): sleep (3), color spray (3), grease (3), silent image (4), invisibility (7), spider climb (8), blur (10), disguise self (11)
1st lvl (4 slots)
2nd lvl (3 slots)

Skills:
Acrobatics +1
Animal Handling -1
Arcana +4
Athletics +8
Deception +0
History +4
Insight -1
Intimidation +4
Investigation +8
Medicine -1
Nature +4
Perception +7 (expertise)
Performance +4
Persuasion +0
Religion +4
Sleight of Hand +14 (expertise, gloves of thievery)
Stealth +9 (expertise)
Survival -1
Thieves’ Tools +14 to pick locks (expertise, gloves of thievery); +9 to disable traps (expertise)

Weapons:
Two-weapon fighting (PHB 195)
Action: Shortsword +2 (“Flick”), 1d20+10, 1d6+6 piercing, finesse, light
Bonus Action: Shortsword (“Swish”), 1d20+8, 1d6, piercing, finesse, light​
Dagger: 1d20+8, 1d4+4
Hand crossbow: 1d20+5, 1d6+1 piercing, range 30/120, light, loading

Equipment:
Studded leather +2
Mantle of spell resistance
"Flick," shortsword +2
"Swish," mundane shortsword
Gloves of thievery
Potion of diminution
Potion of greater healing (2)
Dagger
Thieves' tools
Disguise kit
Hand crossbow
20 bolts
Quiver
Belt pouch
Waterskin
Silk rope 100'
Backpack

Magic Items:
Tier 1: Studded leather armor +2 (DMG 152)
Tier 2: "Flick," shortsword +2 (DMG 213); Mantle of spell resistance (DMG 180, attunement)
Tier 3: Gloves of thievery (DMG 172)
Tier 4: Potion of diminution (DMG 187)
Tier 5: Potion of greater healing x 2 (DMG 188)[/sblock]

[sblock=Bolts]Pell was born into a family of traveling performance artists. His dad—a trapeze crewman—and his mum—a fire eater—lived and worked as part of a guild of performers touring the circuit from city to city. The troupe consisted of more than one criminal, charlatan, and con artist, but the skills were real and the art supreme. As a boy, Pell loved to watch the troupe perform. Their skill was unparalleled, magic given life under a tent awning.

Unfortunately, Pell also loved to indulge. And indulge he did, both selling and partaking of illicit substances banned by the High Court. His wit helped him develop a steady clientele amongst the bored nobility who gave patronage to the theater. He could, he was told, turn a phrase with the best of them. It helped that he smiled prettily, and was always well turned out in cheap but artfully composed cloth. The fops to whom he pedaled managed to hold their noses and ignore the half-orc slant to Pell’s eyes long enough to get their fix.

It was only a matter of time, really, before the gendarme caught Pell smuggling spice into the city. He was tried, convicted, and sentenced faster than one might like to believe was possible of civilized society. He cut a deal with the High Court, who agreed perhaps a touch too eagerly to release Pell in exchange for information he might obtain about the Greenstone of Tunnine—a lost emerald the city’s sages said held divination power. And, of course, the Court assessed fines and fees. One pays for one’s freedom, you know. Especially when one is a half-orc with a taste for spice. [/sblock]

Currently DMing: 1 game
Currently playing: 2 games

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Lakeover, a cleric of magic; former Master Gunnery Sergeant in the Sylvan Expeditioners, a elven military unit that existed until the Wasting of Donnemere.

[sblock=Picture]ElvenNoble.jpg[/sblock]
[sblock=Lakeover, Level 12]
NG Cleric Wood Elf
(cleric of Mystra, Arcane Domain, SCAG)

Abilities:
STR 10 (0) [2]
DEX 14 (+2) [4]
CON 14 (+2) [7] (advantage on saves re: spells)
INT 11 (0) [3]
WIS 18 (+4) [9+ASI] (save +8)
CHA 10 (0) [2] (save +4)

Size M
Speed 35
AC 20
Init +2 (advantage; people within 30’ can’t be surprised)
Hit Points: 87 (12d8)

Proficiency bonus: +4
Proficiencies: light and medium armor, shield, simple weapons, elven weapons
Skills: Insight, Religion, Perception, Arcana, Acrobatics, Stealth
Tools: poisoner's kit, playing cards
Languages: Common, Elven

Attacks:
Fire Bolt, 1d20+11 to hit, 3d10+4 fire damage (120’).
Ray of Frost, 1d20+11 to hit, 3d8+4 cold damage (60’, -10’ move).
Sacred Flame DC 16 DEX save or 3d8+4 radiant damage (60').
Short Sword, 1d20+6 to hit, 1d6+2 piercing damage

Background: (custom) Advance Scout
* skills: acrobatics, stealth
* tools: Use Rope (custom), playing cards
* feature: Military Rank (as soldier)

Race abilities:
* Darkvision 60’
* advantage of saving throws vs. charm; immune to magical sleep
* Trance 4 hrs/day instead of sleep
* Mask of the Wild: hide when lightly obscured by foliage, rain, mist, etc.

Cleric abilities:
* Spellcasting (DC 16, attack mod +8)
- Cantrips: Guidance [c], Thaumaturgy, Mending, Light, Sacred Flame, Fire Bolt, Ray of Frost
- Spell Slots: 4/3/3/3/2/1/0/0/0
- Spells Prepared: 16 (in italics; others are always prepared)
- Level 1: detect magic [r], magic missile;Bless, Healing Word
- Level 2: magic weapon, Nystul’s magic aura; Silence [r], Prayer of Healing, Hold Person
- Level 3: dispel magic, magic circle; Mass Healing Word, Bestow Curse, Revivify
- Level 4: arcane eye, Leomund’s secret chest; Death Ward, Stone Shape, Banishment
- Level 5: planar binding, teleportation circle; Mass Cure Wounds, Commune [r], Contagion
- Level 6: Heal, Harm
* Ritual Casting
* Channel Divinity (2/rest)
- Turn/Destroy Undead (undead w/in 30’ make WIS save or are turned for 1 min. or it takes damage; destroyed if <CR 2)
- Arcane Abjuration/Banishment (as above, with celestial, elemental, fey, fiend)
* Spell Breaker: when I restore hit points, can end a spell of a level equal or lower than the one cast.
* Potent Spellcasting (add WIS to any cleric cantrip damage)
* Divine Intervention: 1/long rest, use action for 12% chance for divine intervention (1/week if successful).

Feats
* War Caster
- advantage on concentration for spells
- somatic components okay with weapon/shield
- opp attacks can be spells
* Lucky
- 3 luck points/long rest
- roll second d20 for attacks, saves, checks, or attacks against.

Skills
+6 (dex) Acrobatics
+4 (wis) Animal Handling
+4 (int) Arcana
+0 (str) Athletics
+0 (cha) Deception
+0 (int) History
+8 (wis) Insight
+0 (cha) Intimidation
+0 (int) Investigation
+4 (wis) Medicine
+0 (int) Nature
+8 (wis) Perception
+0 (cha) Performance
+0 (cha) Persuasion
+4 (int) Religion
+2 (dex) Sleight of Hand
+6 (dex) Stealth
+4 (wis) Survival

Characteristics:
Personality: Lakeover is confident and aloof, and is used to working on his own at a distance. That's the Expeditioners' way!
Ideal: Lakeover believes successful adventures begin with personal safety.
Bond: Lakeover is devoted to the memory of a departed lover. He wears her ring, and carries her sword (though he does not use it), and he believes that she whispers to him even still, keeping him safe. Her family insist that they never actually went out, and that he is responsible for her death. They don't understand his love.
Flaw: Lakeover is blunt to a point of rudeness.

Equipment:
* Breastplate
* Cloak of Displacement (disadvantage on attacks vs. me, until hit, each turn), attuned
* +2 Shield (holy symbol painted on it: black field with a single star)
* Wand of the War Mage +3 (and ignore half cover) attuned
* Short Sword of warning – adv. on init; no surprise, attuned
* Kits
- 50' silk rope x 2
- playing cards (2 red decks, 2 blue decks)
* Holy symbol (amulet) - worn around neck
* singet ring
* Backpack, containing kits above, plus: )
- components pouch - backup in backpack
- hourglass
- signal whistle
- several pieces of chalk
- healer's kit (10 uses) x 2
- bedroll, mess kit, waterskin
- spare traveller's clothes
- several days' rations
- dagger
* replica of Leomund's secret chest (50gp value) [in pocket]
* Leomund's Secret Chest (5000gp value), floating somewhere on the Astral plane. Contents:
- a lock of hair, from Antiope.
- a painting of Lakeover and Antiope, drawn at a fun fair some years ago.
- military uniform, with insignia. Bloodstains still evident on the sleeves.
- holy symbol (another backup, amulet)

[/sblock]

Currently playing 2 games on ENworld.

[sblock=assumptions]Arcane domain allows the building of a "laser cleric", which is what this is. Holy symbol painted on a magic shield replaces unpriced M components. Wand of War Mage gives +3 to attacks with cantrips. It doesn't give me a free hand for Somatic components, though. As a result, he's taken the War Caster feat. It's crazy that the only way to avoid disadvantage when within 5' of your opponent with a cantrip attack is with the Crossbow Expert feat. I can't bring myself to do that: that's what sacred flame is for.
[sblock=magic choices]Tier One Magical Item Choice: Wand of the War Mage +3 (and ignore half cover) A

Tier Two Magical Item Choice: Cloak of Displacement A; Shield +2

Tier Three Magical Item Choice: Short Sword of warning – adv. on init; no surprise for all w/in 30' A
(or if someone else has one, Immovable rod and shield becomes arrow catcher)

Tier Four Magical Item Choice: none -- Leomund's secret chest

Tier Five Magical Item Choice: none -- Leomund's secret chest[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Matthan, when you sit down to look over my submission, please give priority to checking the arcane trickster. I'm positive there are math errors, hopefully not too many!

Remove ads