D&D 5E Is 5E Special

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Needed a bigger Dungeon.
At first I laughed, but its kinda true. I think at some point we reached this dungeon should not just be survivable, but completable. I sort of miss having a finite amount of resources and having to navigate a dungeon as best as possible. Achieve your goal and get out. If you played your cards right, you come away with some bonus swag. That might mean you also misjudged the place or a few encounters and have to leave some behind.

Of course, the rub to all that is challenging high level characters. Now you have dungeons so large and encounter filled that the module has little to no material on the social and exploration pillar. My take is to increase the amount of opportunities outside of combat but probably need to reign in the amount of resources as well. Typically, I have solved this problem by only playing level 10 or less. I can totally understand why that is not acceptable to other folks. Tough nut to crack.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
At first I laughed, but its kinda true. I think at some point we reached this dungeon should not just be survivable, but completable. I sort of miss having a finite amount of resources and having to navigate a dungeon as best as possible. Achieve your goal and get out. If you played your cards right, you come away with some bonus swag. That might mean you also misjudged the place or a few encounters and have to leave some behind.

Of course, the rub to all that is challenging high level characters. Now you have dungeons so large and encounter filled that the module has little to no material on the social and exploration pillar. My take is to increase the amount of opportunities outside of combat but probably need to reign in the amount of resources as well. Typically, I have solved this problem by only playing level 10 or less. I can totally understand why that is not acceptable to other folks. Tough nut to crack.
Now, to be fair, I don't think a Party needs to be pushed to the limit.to have fun. But the further from pausing that limit you go, then the more wonky balance will get. But fun is more important than balance at the table.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Some of that I can see not allowing, sure. There are spells that do the very magical thing the skill would be doing, after all.

But most of that is just DMs not understanding the skill system well enough, in a way that I haven’t seen even with new DMs.

Though the advice in the core books could use another few editing passes.
I hope 2024 brings some serious rewrites of the advice.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Now, to be fair, I don't think a Party needs to be pushed to the limit.to have fun. But the further from pausing that limit you go, then the more wonky balance will get. But fun is more important than balance at the table.
Sure, I'm a wiz at doing this levels 1-10. I don't like playing afterwards because it stops being fun, and balance has a lot to do with that.

Needed a bigger Dungeon.

I want to laugh becuse everyone says the 6-8 encounters should do it... but then when you say "What if your casters still have slots" the answer is more encounters... BUT for these encounter the casters still have slots.

lets say I have 4 7th level characters in my game and they are acleric a fighter a rogue a wizard not just standard but a bit cliche.

after 7 encounters in the dungeon the wizard has all his 2nd level slots, and 1 1st level slot left and his 3 arcane recoveries... the cleric is WAY better he has only used a few he still has 2 3rd 3 2nd and 3 1st level slots... obviously the rogue and fighter have not gotten time to shine yet because the casters never ran out of spells... how many more encounters do you throw?

Of course, the rub to all that is challenging high level characters. Now you have dungeons so large and encounter filled that the module has little to no material on the social and exploration pillar.
big pet peeve of mine when tehy forget that stuff but lately they have done better
My take is to increase the amount of opportunities outside of combat but probably need to reign in the amount of resources as well. Typically, I have solved this problem by only playing level 10 or less. I can totally understand why that is not acceptable to other folks. Tough nut to crack.
When we play we go all caster or no full caster giving us more even of a feel on who gets to shine...

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
And then they did a largely (maybe even entirely, I forget) unplayested last-minute massive change to it, going from 3-4 encounters/day as the norm to 6-8 -

A BOATLOAD of stuff was changed after the last public playtest end. And most of these changes are the source of 5e's flaws.

5e is less special.
Mercer is special.

5e got lucky that a whole generation of millennials and zoomers discouraged antinerd antitheatrekid humor to allow TY, Tok Tok, and Twitch to be popular and cultivate a whole alternative media form for D&D.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases