D&D 5E Is the Warlock the Best Class?

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
I don't know about best, he general feeling amongst those in my group who have played warlocks is they are the most boring class to play.

What is it that causes that I wonder? How are they being played at your table? Does your table focus more heavily on one pillar than another of the three?

Serious genuine curiosity here not sarcasm.

What is it that causes that I wonder? How are they being played at your table? Does your table focus more heavily on one pillar than another of the three?

Serious genuine curiosity here not sarcasm.
I don't know, I wasn't involved in the games referred to. "nothing but blasting" was said I think.

I can think of a couple of warlock characters who seem interesting to me, but I haven't had opportunity to play them yet.

S'mon

Legend
If you know what you're doing, they're a powerful class.
If there are fewer than 6-8 encounters per LR, assuming an SR per couple encounters, the LR casters will tend to outshine the Warlock IME. Warlock Cantrips are great but spells still tend to be better, especially for AoE damage and control.
At around 5-6 encounters per LR they are pretty balanced, and at 8+ the Warlock has a clear advantage.

Edit: I tend to agree with views above that Lore Bard is the best full caster class.

In most of the games I've played in, the Long Rest classes are disproportianely strong because combats rarely get beyond 2 or 3 in a day and GMs don't use the rest variants from the DMG to counter that.

Last edited:

Eric V

Hero
It's easily the best designed class. More player build choices than any other class, lots of customization, great thematic feel...yeah. I wish the design team had been this creative with some other classes.

Don Durito is right though, that if the days are shorter, they get out-classed by the long-rest casters, but that's a flaw built into the game. Not much to be done.

5ekyu

Hero
Honestly, on the same kind of criteria, I would go for cleric. Typically they gzve more flex-daily spells prep than the warlock knows, more armor and weapon options, and by choosing their domains they gain auto-spells and features too. Wisdom is as strong as cha for z primary stat.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Based upon the reactions warlocks get when they interact with people in town and they discover the warlocks are devil worshippers, have evil talking weapons or speak to great old ones in their head... not even close. ;)

In term of design it’s a hit.

This class allow so many roles and style, that it don’t need MC.

Its spell slot recharging on short rest, sake things up. Having out of phase recharge mechanic provoke more situation and event than the boring everybody is always on top shape.

Invocation is a really great mechanic. Adding a lot of customization in a simple way.

Patron and pact double up choice of customization. This is also a great idea.

Remove ads