Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [OOC]

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
OOC: There is a storm inside, Caerth isn't evil so shouldn't be too much of a problem. But why 'eat' two OA just to get in? I had such a lovely choke point set up.
Taking this to the OOC thread.

Well, Caerth isn't exactly a tactical fighter. Instead, he's guided mostly by instinct and his volatile nature. Sure, I get why the bottleneck is a good idea (well, now I do. I hadn't considered it before, to be honest :) ) but it also feels like we can end these cultists sooner.

Besides, who knows what horrors the praying cultists can unleash if we let him be...

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Taking this to the OOC thread.

Well, Caerth isn't exactly a tactical fighter. Instead, he's guided mostly by instinct and his volatile nature. Sure, I get why the bottleneck is a good idea (well, now I do. I hadn't considered it before, to be honest :) ) but it also feels like we can end these cultists sooner.

Besides, who knows what horrors the praying cultists can unleash if we let him be...
Whatever he summons will be evil (probably) and burn in the storm. Maur was made for this thing - he gets extra AC when not moving, can take damage and resists spells. But yes, the spell will take some time, I understand that. Don't take me wrong, I have nothing against you moving in, I simply wouldn't "waste" 3rd level spell if I knew.

I agree it is not a good idea to let the caster cast, everyone rolls 1 on the save eventually. And no plan survives the contact with the enemy.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Beginning of round three...
Corridor Fight_Round Three (Begins).png

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Round Three (Updated)
Caerth: 21 (overrun)
Summoned Boar: 21 (break attempt)
Quinn: 21 (moves and attacks [hit])
[Fleeing Cultist #1: 21 (disappeared)] (unknown)
Wieland: 17 (holds action)
Ghouls [x2]: 16 (new combatants) (move, one attacks dire boar)
Cultists [x2]: 15 (both attack and miss)
Prelate: 15 (casts dispel magic [success])
Brutus: 13 (moves and attacks [hit])
Aureus: 11 (moves and shoots [hit])
Timmins: 10 (moves and shoots [misses])
Meridith: 8 (moves and shoots [hits])
Phar: 5 (moves and shoots [hits])
Maur: 4
[Pritchard, Fleeing Cultist #3 : 3 (disappeared)] (actions not known)

So, Wieland is going to hold his action until space opens up.

Just after his action, two ghouls come around the corner from where Fleeing Cultist #1 disappeared to in the previous round. They move towards the dire boar and one comes close enough to attack the large animal.
Ghoul - Attack vs. Dire Boar: 1D20+2 = [18]+2 = 20 (hit);
Ghoul - Damage: 1D6+1 = [5]+1 = 6
Dire Boar - Fortitude save vs paralysis : 1D20+10 = [4]+10 = 14 (success)

@Neurotic, the prone cultist stands up, which gives Maur an AoO. (The cultist is -4 to his AC and he doesn't have cover against Maur until after stands up.) He then counterattacks against Maur, if he survives (Maur has cover). The other cultist tries to attack the dire boar, which has cover.
Prone cultist stands up and attacks Maur AND cultist attacks the dire boar: 1D20+4 = [8]+4 = 12
1D8+1 = [3]+1 = 4
1D20+4 = [9]+4 = 13
1D8+1 = [4]+1 = 5
(both attacks miss)

The prelate casts dispel magic (20-ft. radius burst) centered on the brazier after making a Constitution check against the ongoing damage (3 points). | Prelate - Concentration check (DC 14): 1D20+8 = [6]+8 = 14 (success)
Prelate - Caster Level Check (vs Holy Storm): 1D20+6 = [19]+6 = 25

I'm assuming that's high enough to dispel the Holy Storm. If I remember correctly, I have to roll separately for Caerth's summoned dire boar, as the spell's burst radius catches the animal. Here's the check vs. the summoned dire boar: Prelate - Caster Level Check: 1D20+6 = [17]+6 = 23

Do Caerth and Maur have any active spells on them? And the burst fills the available space, just like with fireball, I believe. Hmm, I need to double check. :unsure:

I'm thinking that those two checks beat the required DCs (11 + the spell’s caster level) for the ongoing spells.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
DCs vs. Prelate's Dispel Magic
Holy Storm: DC 18
Summon Nature's Ally: DC 18

I think those are right. Let me know if there are any other bonuses active besides the normal ones for each spell's caster level.

I'm going to assume both spells end, which changes what I was planning for the other NPCs.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Okay, so Brutus moves forward to take up a position right next to Maur to block the other half of the doorway. He attacks the cultist on the other side of the door.
Brutus - Greataxe: 1D20+11 = [20]+11 = 31
1D12+10 = [8]+10 = 18
(critical threat!)
Brutus - Confirm Critical: 1D20+11 = [4]+11 = 15
1D12+10 = [11]+10 = 21
(not a crit.)

The cultist is hurt badly but does not fall.

Aureus moves forward and fires her bow at one of the ghouls.
Aureus - Composite Longbow: 1D20+13 = [9]+13 = 22
1D8+3 = [4]+3 = 7
(hit)

Timmins takes a 5-ft. step and fires two arrows at the other ghoul.
Timmins - Shortbow: 1D20+7 = [4]+7 = 11
1D20+2 = [8]+2 = 10
1D8+2 = [4]+2 = 6
1D8+2 = [5]+2 = 7
(both shots miss)

Meridith shifts into the hallway and shoots at the same ghoul as Aureus.
Meridith - Shortbow: 1D20+6 = [8]+6 = 14
1D6+1 = [5]+1 = 6
(hit) | This shot destroys the ghoul.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases