Loki Season 2 Discussion - Spoilers

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That’s because he’s not the same Loki. He literally had it slapped out of him over and over again last season.

At least, if this season’s trailer is anything to go by, he’ll be using his magic more this season.
But he doesn’t even have any powers. Loki in the movies was a god. This guy is Shaun from Shaun of the Dead running round in an office building. Why isn’t he ruling that office building? He doesn’t even resemble Loki. I mean, he’s played by the same actor, but that’s as far as it goes.

pukunui

Legend
But he doesn’t even have any powers. Loki in the movies was a god. This guy is Shaun from Shaun of the Dead running round in an office building. Why isn’t he ruling that office building? He doesn’t even resemble Loki. I mean, he’s played by the same actor, but that’s as far as it goes.
They demonstrated that he couldn't use his powers in the TVA in the first episode. And before he could escape and re-establish himself as a god somewhere else, he was shown that his mischievous ways always lead to his death. He was also shown that his actions led to the death of his mother. Then he had he mischievousness repeatedly slapped out of him by an angry Sif till he saw the error of his ways. Then there was the distraction of hunting Sylvie.

If you recall, he did originally want to usurp the timekeepers and take over the TVA, but by the time He Who Remains all but dropped the rulership of the sacred timeline in his lap, he declined it because he's a different Loki. He's a Loki who's had some real, positive character growth. He's become a hero rather than an anti-hero / villain.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
They demonstrated that he couldn't use his powers in the TVA in the first episode. And before he could escape and re-establish himself as a god somewhere else, he was shown that his mischievous ways always lead to his death. He was also shown that his actions led to the death of his mother. Then he had he mischievousness repeatedly slapped out of him by an angry Sif till he saw the error of his ways. Then there was the distraction of hunting Sylvie.

If you recall, he did originally want to usurp the timekeepers and take over the TVA, but by the time He Who Remains all but dropped the rulership of the sacred timeline in his lap, he declined it because he's a different Loki. He's a Loki who's had some real, positive character growth. He's become a hero rather than an anti-hero / villain.
You keep saying ‘slapped out of him’. I guess that’s enough explanation for you, but it doesn’t work for me.

But even if you accept that explanation of why the character you tuned in to see isn’t in the show, that doesn’t change the fact that he’s not in the show.

I like the show. It’s a good sci fi premise. Just call it “Shaun of the TVA”, not “Loki”.

pukunui

Legend
You keep saying ‘slapped out of him’. I guess that’s enough explanation for you, but it doesn’t work for me.

But even if you accept that explanation of why the character you tuned in to see isn’t in the show, that doesn’t change the fact that he’s not in the show.

I like the show. It’s a good sci fi premise. Just call it “Shaun of the TVA”, not “Loki”.
I feel like maybe you’ve forgotten the events of season 1 … or else you watched a different variant of the show to the one I watched?

What I remember is the same old Loki at the start, but he quickly changed his tune, grew up in many ways, and is now a different person, yes, but it wasn’t just a random thing. His evolution as a character happened over the course of the whole first season.

And yes, he was put in a time loop prison thing where he had to relieve the moment Sif slapped him over and over until he took it seriously and actually learned something from the experience.

He is still a Loki. Just not the one you want.

And, as I said, if the trailer is anything to go by, he may yet veer back toward being more like his old self as the course of this season progresses.

🤷

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I feel like maybe you’ve forgotten the events of season 1 … or else you watched a different variant of the show to the one I watched?
Yes ok, I failed to understand it like you did. You’re very clever.

Or… maybe that just doesn’t work for me, narratively? And that’s… OK?

pukunui

Legend
I thought I was clear. I like the show. I just feel Loki’s characterisation is off. One can enjoy a show while having criticisms of one specific aspect of it.
OK. As I've been trying to explain, if his characterization feels off, its on purpose. The whole idea of the show is that he's changed. Would you rather he not have undergone any character growth and remained the same old narcissistic mischief maker and villainous anti-hero, etc etc?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
OK. As I've been trying to explain, if his characterization feels off, its on purpose. The whole idea of the show is that he's changed. Would you rather he not have undergone any character growth and remained the same old narcissistic mischief maker and villainous anti-hero, etc etc?
I don't think it's a binary choice. I would just have preferred the character be recognisable.

Remove ads