Planescape Manual of the Planes for 5e on DMSGuild

New on the DMSGuild is the Manual of the Planes for 5th edition. The cover is stunning. It's over 300 pages and the credits page includes folks from The Draconomicon, The Dragonlance Companion, Tasha's Crucible of Everything Else, Planescape: Metropolis, The Honkonomicon and Planewalker.com I love the special thanks. This project was made possible by Roll20. Thank you for unlocking new...

New on the DMSGuild is the Manual of the Planes for 5th edition. The cover is stunning.

Manual of the Planes. An invaluable, definitive work on the most fascinating aspect of the World's Greatest Roleplaying Game

It's over 300 pages and the credits page includes folks from The Draconomicon, The Dragonlance Companion, Tasha's Crucible of Everything Else, Planescape: Metropolis, The Honkonomicon and Planewalker.com

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 9.37.13 PM.png

I love the special thanks.

This project was made possible by Roll20. Thank you for unlocking new horizons for the latest generation of planewalkers, bashers, berks, and touts. We’d also like to thank the giants on whose shoulders we stand when writing this book: Justice Ramin Arman, Richard Baker, Wolfgang Baur, David “Zeb” Cook, Bruce R. Cordell, Jeff Grubb, David Noonan, F. Wesley Schneider, Rick Swan, and all others who helped create and cultivate Planescape and the planes.

I've just bought it and am reading it now.

Here is the table of contents.

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 10.18.51 PM.png

Hussar

Legend
The Isle of Dread has a lot of weirdness attached to it that I wasn't sure how to handle in this book, hence why I didn't do anything with it. I've been loving the Savage Tide adventure path from 3.5 and recognize the shape from there as well, although the connection to the Plane of Water seems entirely new to 5e.

I wonder if we'll ever go back there and if we'll ever see the Rakasta again.
At a guess, I'd say that this was likely a pitched idea in the early days of 5e that just never got off the ground. More's the pity really.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
The Isle of Dread has a lot of weirdness attached to it that I wasn't sure how to handle in this book, hence why I didn't do anything with it. I've been loving the Savage Tide adventure path from 3.5 and recognize the shape from there as well, although the connection to the Plane of Water seems entirely new to 5e.

I wonder if we'll ever go back there and if we'll ever see the Rakasta again.
I'm considering savage tide for my next campaign.... So much greatness

darjr

I crit!
Latest update on the product page.

Extremely likely. We've already started working on the finer details that PoD requires on the production end, and we're already around a third of the way to the required digital sales to qualify for PoD in only 2-3 weeks. So by the time the PoD version is ready for production in early 2024, we fully expect to have also met the sales requirements.

Hussar

Legend
Witchlight was apparently on the pitch board since 4E: just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't.
Considering how much mining they're doing for classic material, it's something I would definitely expect to see. Although, with Ghosts of Saltmarsh out, I imagine that took a lot of the wind out of the sails, so to speak. GoS with Isle of Dread would be far, far too close to treading on Savage Tides toes.

WhatLiesBeyond

Explorer
I'm considering savage tide for my next campaign.... So much greatness
Savage Tide is a campaign which hasn't always aged well, to say the least. While the Planescape aspects of the story are great and many of the encounters and exploration bits are very memorable, the overall colonial themes of the Adventure Path will likely demand some tweaks and will absolutely demand some close discussion with your players to make sure that they are comfortable and having fun.

For my game, I've tried to play up the fact that Sasserine, the Dawn Council, and the Vanderboren family are all imperial enterprises who don't have any benevolent intentions (especially for the peoples who live on the Isle of Dread). When you add in their ties to the Scarlet Brotherhood, they become something of an earthly evil force that acts as a thematic opposite to the planar evil of Demogorgon and the Crimson Fleet. The PCs are trying to help whoever they can but are having to come to terms with the malicious ambitions of even their apparent allies.

WhatLiesBeyond

Explorer
Considering how much mining they're doing for classic material, it's something I would definitely expect to see. Although, with Ghosts of Saltmarsh out, I imagine that took a lot of the wind out of the sails, so to speak. GoS with Isle of Dread would be far, far too close to treading on Savage Tides toes.
Funny enough, I included one of the Ghosts of Saltmarsh adventures as a side quest in Savage Tide. It fit oddly well as a reminder of the recent Greyhawk War and its ongoing impact on the region.

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
Fum fact: Savage Tides is nearly as old now as Isle of Dread was when Savage Todes.came out (almost: soon, though).

It's been nearly 5 years since Saltmarsh, which was the last classic module reprint product. Seems they have something in the cards for next year, but it is interesting, they have not done any Basic D&D stuff at all, only AD&D (aside from one small Basic adventure from the magazines in Saltmarsh). Seems to me that the B and X lines have all sorts of stuff to mine.

WhatLiesBeyond

Explorer
Something I'm curious to ask people, since I'm considering more 5e material down the line.

Would people want to see the return of Neraphs down the line? Wondering if they're already covered by Chaonds or they cover a distinct enough niche to be worth revisting.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads