Level Up (A5E) Mighty attack without weapons

TYP

Villager
Sorry if I missed this, but I didn't find a forum post or anything in the errata about it.

Does the orc heritage ability Mighty Attack (add another weapon die to damage when you crit with a "melee weapon attack" work with things that aren't weapons? Natural weapons, barehanded fighting, etc? It seems like it should but I wanted to check if others had resolved this before I said anything. Cheers.

TYP

Villager
Weapon Attacks are defined on page 309.
Maybe this makes me Cpt Thicko, but I'd read that section and it didn't seem clear to me whether "melee weapons," for the purposes of Mighty Attack, include attacks made with your bare hands. One part of me says no, because your hands aren't weapons, they're your hands. Unless they're registered as deadly weapons. Does anyone else know what the official intent is, or how they use this in their games?

Pedantic

Legend
Maybe this makes me Cpt Thicko, but I'd read that section and it didn't seem clear to me whether "melee weapons," for the purposes of Mighty Attack, include attacks made with your bare hands. One part of me says no, because your hands aren't weapons, they're your hands. Unless they're registered as deadly weapons. Does anyone else know what the official intent is, or how they use this in their games?

I think you're (understandably) looking at the "Melee Weapons" subheading and not the "Weapon Attacks" sidebar above it on that page.
It reads in part: "Attacks made with natural weapons and unarmed strikes are considered to be melee weapon attacks..."

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The sidebar on that page explicitly addresses that question.

TYP

Villager
I think you're (understandably) looking at the "Melee Weapons" subheading and not the "Weapon Attacks" sidebar above it on that page.
It reads in part: "Attacks made with natural weapons and unarmed strikes are considered to be melee weapon attacks..."
Oh my, Major Thicko reporting for duty. Thank you!

Remove ads