The class is currently more like a ranged half-caster battlemaster that only gets basic extra attack and a fighting style, combined with stances that change how you play, and subclasses that come with a free enhanced version of a general stance, and some minor buffs/ribbons to lock in flavor, at level 1, and a signature weapon feature that specializes you into a type of ranged weapon (bows, crossbows, thrown weapons and slings, trick arrows and grenades) and enhances the efficacy of that weapon.
Stances are things like
- the ability to dash or disengage as a bonus action and gain +10 speed when you dash, disengage, or dodge.
- The ability to make a single ranged attack at your weapon's short range as a bonus action when you crit or down an enemy.
- Move 10 ft when you succeed on a dex or str saving throw.
- speed is halved and you can crit on a 19-20 and can spend a bonus action to gain advantage against a single enemy until the start of your next turn
- As a reaction when a creature you can see makes an attack, you can make an attack against them. If you hit, the damage of the attack is reduced by the damage you deal with your attack. You can choose to spend a focus die, imposing a penalty to attack rolls for the target until the end of your next turn equal to the die's result.
obviously not balanced against eachother yet.
Techniques are things like
When you hit with a ranged weapon attack, add your focus die to the attack's damage, and the target must succeed on a strength saving throw or be knocked prone. If you use this technique on a critical hit, the target's speed is also halved for 1 minute if they fail the saving throw.
When you hit a creature or falling object with a ranged weapon attack, you can spend a focus die, adding the die to the attack's damage, to pin it in place reducing it's speed to 0. The target must make a strength save on it's turn to end the effect.
Put Some Spin On It
When you make a ranged weapon attack with a wepaon with the thrown property or a sling, you can curve the tragectory of the weapon or missile around obstacles. The attack ignores partial cover and concealment, and gains a bonus to the attack roll equal to the result of the focus die. If you miss the attack, the next ranged attack against the target before the end of your next turn has advantage.
When you miss with a range weapon attack, you can use this technique to correct your aim and gain advantage on your next attack. Add the result of your focus die to the damage if the second attack hits.
Archetypes include the Swift Rider (mounted, bonuses to mobility and defense from ranged attacks, share mobility bonuses with mount, and some simple mounted combat boosts ala cavalier), Deepwood Sniper (it's a sniper, with bushcraft), and Trickshot (a gunslinger, basically, but with any onehanded weapon that can make ranged weapon attacks).