• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NeMoren's Vault - D&D (Full)

KnowTheToe

First Post
Looking to start an open ended game using NeMoren’s Vault (NV) from Fiery Dragon Productions as a start. NV is a low level adventure with a great hook for getting characters together.

The game will take place in a Home Brew world, Thelenia, which is in its early stage of development. What does this mean to you, not much, but organizations may change or pop up out of nowhere, things like that. I will never use that against you, I just thought if I started running some adventures through the world it might help me flesh it out, or choose which of my many ideas to advance. Anyway, the country of origin for the adventure is Thelis.

Thelis is a large militaristic country ran by a political senate/council. They are in the throngs of expanding their empire against their northern neighbors, which Thelisians refer to as barbarians and they refer to as the Free Kingdoms. A somewhat small sea is Thelis’s southern border, in which is the island of 3 Rings, where magicians have recently built a large tower and school of magic. They have declared themselves free of ties to all nations. On the opposite side of the sea is the continent known as the Cradle. There at the mouth of a large river are three large elven cities. The elves are the protectors of the Cradle, which was the birthplace of all life on Thelenia.

Here are the criteria for character creation. You can use PHB and splat books for your characters, nothing else. I want to keep this simple. There will be no Item Creation feats except Brew Potion and Scribe Scroll. All classes have a minimum of 4 skill points per level. Everything else will be pretty much by the book. I usually like house rules, but I want to keep this simple. Point Buy System, see below.

20 point buy as the base.

+ 2 points for creating a good aligned characters

+ 2 points for including a silver key in your character history (examples, award for brave deed, family heirloom, won through gambling, stolen from someone, gift from old lover, found somewhere

+ 2 points if you have 3 or more NPCs with usable plot hooks in the story NPCs must be named, worked into story; and able to come into future events without unreasonable circumstances. An NPC can be an individual or an organization. NPCs cannot just be listed and named. Must have story involvement.

+ 1 point for including a picture of your PC or a detailed description of your character (you do not have to draw it yourself)

+ 1 more if the story is longer than 500 words. +2 if it is more than 750 words long.

+ 1 for a background story that works within the world's framework given above.

+2 if you play a human character

+1 for a list showing where all equipment is held or stored.

These bonuses are stackable for a total possible 32 points. You can only take each bonus once.
Feel free to make up names of towns, people and organizations as I can easily fit them in.

I am looking for 5-6 players and will start working with each character through email as they are accepted.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

Jarval

Explorer
Hmm, sounds interesting. Count me in :) I'm thinking human paladin for my character, and I'll be trying to shoot for the full 32 points :D It might take a few days for me to get a decent background together, if that's OK with you?

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
I would like to join as well. I'll build a Cleric. Race and deity undecided. Are gnome/dwarf/elf extended pantheons available?

Last edited:

KnowTheToe

First Post
Great,

I am looking forward to seeing both the characters. All of the gnome/dwarf/elf extended pantheons are available. Any changes I make to the worlds gods will not effect this game or the charaters.

Thordain

First Post
I'd like to play as well. Are we starting at level 1?

I was interested in Cleric, but if Cordo plays a cleric I could do fighter/barb.
How do skill points work if your int is less than 10?

Last edited:

KnowTheToe

First Post
Thordain said:
I'd like to play as well. Are we starting at level 1?

I was interested in Cleric, but if Cordo plays a cleric I could do fighter/barb.
How do skill points work if your int is less than 10?

I hate it when I overlook such simple details. Yes, the characters should be 1st level.

As for the second question, let me look at the books this evening. I am considering no neg. modifier for the first level of creation and then subtracting the neg. with all other lvl advancements. I want to try some things out.

As long as I am typing, I am hoping to post 4-7 times a week and will let the group determine pacing. I will roll all dice, or you can email me a list of rolls from an online die roller and I will use your rolls off the list (randomly). Let me know what other questions you have.

Thordain

First Post
KnowTheToe said:
from an online die roller and I will use your rolls off the list (randomly). Let me know what other questions you have.

Can I suggest the rule variant that if the roll is below 1/2 hp, that we round it up to 1/2? A roll of 1 on hp can really brand a character for life.

Also, I wanted to ask about intimidate using STR instead of CHA (for barbarians -- smash the table with your fist to scare someone).

KnowTheToe

First Post
Thordain said:

Can I suggest the rule variant that if the roll is below 1/2 hp, that we round it up to 1/2? A roll of 1 on hp can really brand a character for life.

Also, I wanted to ask about intimidate using STR instead of CHA (for barbarians -- smash the table with your fist to scare someone).

Yes, I never use less than half the max HD when leveling up. If you roll less than half of the max die value, use half of the die's max value (5 on a d10, 2 on a d4)

STR for intimidation checks is also fine.

Once I get characters, I will start creating a web site where we can keep the game data.

Badger

First Post
One more to the mix...

I've been warring with myself since I saw the ad last night for the game, and I'll be kicking myself if I don't throw my hat in the ring...:)

A quick question...

How do you handle monk cross classing? Can they do it freely, or lose the rights to go further as a monk?

Kicking around the idea for a monk who could possibly take a few levels of priest along the way, but that is up to your call on multi-classing.

Thanks...

Badger

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads