One Shots - Discussions

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Request: The first (or so) post of each adventure should contain a link to each player's RG post so that it is easy to find the characters. Not everyone who posts in a game is good at saying "Hey, I'm a half-elf." and it can be annoying not knowing what kind of person is talking.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've added this to the first IC post in my game, under Ministats.

EarlyBird

Explorer
Hey everyone I have something to discuss.... Character Deaths.

Why would I have such a morbid topic to bring up, well looks like my character is about to die. And as I was looking up the way Adventure League handles it, I liked the rules they have there and wanted to ask any opinions from those of you out there that are playing too.

Death
A character who dies during the course of the adventure has a few options at the end of the session (or whenever arriving back in civilization) if no one in the adventuring party has immediate access to a raise dead or revivify spell, or similar magic. A character subject to a raise dead spell is affected negatively until all long rests have been completed during an adventure. Alternatively, each downtime day spent after raise dead reduces the penalty to attack rolls, saving throws, and ability checks by 1, in addition to any other benefits the downtime activity might provide.

Create a New 1st-Level Character. If the dead character is unwilling or unable to exercise any of the other options, the player creates a new character. The new character does not have any items or rewards possessed by the dead character.

Dead Character Pays for Raise Dead. If the character’s body is recoverable (it’s not missing any vital organs and is mostly whole) and the player would like the character to be returned to life, the party can take the body back to civilization and use the dead character’s funds to pay for a raise dead spell. A raise dead spell cast in this manner costs the character 1,250gp.

Character’s Party Pays for Raise Dead. As above, except that some or all of the 1,250 gp for the raise dead spell is paid for by the party at the end of the session. Other characters are under no obligation to spend their funds to bring back a dead party member.

Faction Charity. If the character is of level 1 to 4 and a member of a faction, the dead character’s body can be returned to civilization and a patron from the faction ensures that he or she receives a raise dead spell. However, any character invoking this charity forfeits all XP and rewards from that session (even those earned prior to death during that session), and cannot replay that episode or adventure with that character again. Once a character reaches 5th level, this option is no longer available.

Let me know what you all think of using these rules and I'll add what we come up with in the RG for easier finding.

tglassy

Adventurer
Sounds good to me. I’d add a few special options:

Revenant: when you die, you become a Revenant as per https://dnd.wizards.com/sites/default/files/media/upload/articles/UA Gothic Characters.pdf

This is an awesome option for someone who lacks the means but wants to keep their character. Perhaps offered only on certain circumstances, such as being killed by the Big Bad or by betrayal, or perhaps as a curse.

And this option, which I love and have never seen used: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2WznPESBmQQQ0hZWU1BWTN2Qm8/view

A good surprise option, perhaps again given under certain circumstances or whatnot. Allows for some great roll play.

JustinCase

Hi! I'm the DM for the game where your character is on death's door. *waves*

You raise a good point (pun intended). I'm open to any solution, even going for individual stories that may naturally evolve. Such as your character Thadius, who comes from a wealth family (and is allied and friends with the baron who's assignment you're on), so I don't see why his family can't pay for bringing him back. Could even have some fun concept that whatever wealth you'll find on your next adventures will mostly go to pay off that debts. And I doubt they'll pay for another accidental death...

EarlyBird

Explorer
Yep anything that advances the story of the character is great RP in my book.

To KahlessNestor, Nope we don;t have factions and don't have to take them unless you wish to drive your characters story. I was thinking for my character that the Lord's Alliance was trying to get his family to join up, and bring back there only boy may do the trick. SO no need to think of a Faction until they dip into your story.

JustinCase

Just a quick notice. My wife is about to give birth, which means I could be away from the forum for a time. (Or not, I'm not sure how it will go.) So if I'm away, that will probably be the reason, and I will return.

My One Shot game is about to end and I expect to finish it just right, but you never know.

mips42

Adventurer
Earlybird asked if I could run a one-shot. I got one I can run. 4-6 level one to level 2 characters. Ill post in the character thread as well. I'll work on a opening post, rogue gallery and OOC later. Tentative title: Frolic and Fire.

Remove ads