D&D 5E (OOC) Rise of the Dracolich (Full)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Ah. Here's where my mistake was, I expect. I said:

"From both sides of the ice-pillar other forms moved. From the troll's perspective, they saw a troll coming through the fog on either side. "

I meant they saw one troll-shape on each side of the pillar (so two troll-shapes).

But because I phrased it, "they saw A troll coming..."

That's where the confusion came in, I bet.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
@Ancalagon Interesting insight. I'll try to repeat important information more often, in case people miss it the first time.

I've mentioned the elevation - Each shade of ice is a level with about an 8-foot drop between each level. The fog gets thicker as you go down, with visibility reducing. Everything is difficult terrain if you're not wearing crampons, or have claws, because it's slippery to say the least.

I'm not sure how to give you a map, AND show you your lack of visibility. I mean, it's all dark as well as foggy, and between darkvision and other abilities, everyone has varying abilities to mitigate it. Besides, RAW, if the Skragg isn't spending his actions to Hide, you know where he is even if you can't see him. (In other words, you can target his space, but you have to roll with disadvantage). If I didn't put him on the map, you wouldn't really be able to do that. Not to mention I need to know where he is myself.

The yellow stuff is treasure, frozen into the ice-shelf. I mentioned it a few times, I think. Maybe I didn't draw enough attention to it.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
If people want to sweat the specifics, it takes 15' worth of movement to safely drop from one level to the next without a skill check) - to reiterate, that's between the shades of colour. Kalorn and Alhana (Lorenn is floating above on his board) are in a bit of a hole (see how it's shaded darker) that ends in the ice-spikes, but it's got a gradual exit, so they don't have to climb to get to the mid-level (where the treasure is). The Skragg is at the lowest level. Oggsbruff is standing over a crack in the shelf that drops down. There's a pillar that the treasure is frozen around (there's more treasure frozen in the pillar). Make sense?

Sometimes I'm not sure if more information makes things clearer or if it just makes for more chances I'll be misunderstood. I hope no-one is getting frustrated by this discussion. Internet communication can be hard. It's easy to attribute grouchiness where there is none. Rest assured, I am absolutely happy to answer questions when you have them!

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I hope there was no groutchyness in my tone either - it's hard to remember those details sometimes. Lately I've been finding myself with less time to post, with work being busier and having to run my own game (ie less time to re read and make sure I understood most details - it's not rare that I simply missed something vs you not having said it), and that's my fault. I have no idea how you manage to run 3! (and mine is a simpler system to boot).

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Thanks guys. I'm always happy to find ways to improve things. In fact, I think I have an idea on a new format for my "Damage Taken" GM blurb that might help both you and me when it comes to keeping track of where people are, and conditions, without it being a lot of more work. I'll try it and see what you think. Also, I'm gonna add Light & Terrain notes to the Maps under locations, as a constant reminder for us all.

Remove ads