D&D 5E (OOC) Rise of the Dracolich (Full)

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
Thanks guys. I'm always happy to find ways to improve things. In fact, I think I have an idea on a new format for my "Damage Taken" GM blurb that might help both you and me when it comes to keeping track of where people are, and conditions, without it being a lot of more work. I'll try it and see what you think. Also, I'm gonna add Light & Terrain notes to the Maps under locations, as a constant reminder for us all.
Regarding this... You list the spell slots used/left a little unclear (to me at least):
> Sesto AC18* HP 53/59 HD 8/8 PP15 SS 4/4 3/3 3/3 2/2 CD 2/2 <<

I read it as 4 level 4 slots, 3 level 3 slots and then 3 level 3 slots... ? again... ?
But maybe it should be read as 4 out of 4 (level 1 slots?), 3 out of 3 (level 2 slots?), etc

Ok... I think I have answered my own question... the latter way is to read it, right?
In that case, Sesto should have Sesto "SS 4/4 2/3 3/3 2/2 CD 2/2"

FitzTheRuke

Legend
In that case, Sesto should have Sesto "SS 4/4 2/3 3/3 2/2 CD 2/2"

Yes, level 1 is first. Some people don't have anything more than level 1 slots. Sesto used a level two slot? Oh, my mistake. What did he cast again?

My info tracking line has the problem of trying to balance having everything that's good to know vs having too much information. It's tricky!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm going to start posting location features in the OOC and a point-form version in my round-roller under a spoiler tag. Like this:

Area General Features
Visibility

It's both Dark and Foggy in the Lair. The fog reduces visibility by about 30%.
60-foot Darkvision can see 40 feet (8 grid-marks) (so 120-foot sees 80 feet, or 16 grids (about 5 large squares), Sesto's Light and Loklafd's torch shed bright light for 15 feet and dim for 15 feet (so those without darkvision can see about 30 feet (six grids or two large squares).
Terrain
It's slick and frozen ice everywhere, so without crampons or claws, it's difficult terrain.
A venturesome character can try to move normally by sliding up to their speed with a dc11 acrobatics check.
(Failure will knock you prone at the end of your movement).
Elevation
The lair is formed of ice-shelves that drop from white-coloured spaces through three other darker shades.
Each shelf drops eight feet. It takes 15 feet of movement to drop a level (no check) but it takes 15 feet of movement and a dc15 athletics check to climb up. (Failure drops you back to the lower level.)

And this in my round roller:

Visibility (Dark & Foggy) Darkvision 60'=40' (120'=80'), Light (Sesto & Loklafd) 30'ra (15/15).
Terrain Difficult (Everywhere) (Crampons/Claws ignore) (Slide w/ dc11 Acrobatics).
Elevation 8' per colour (darker at bottom) (Down = 15' move; Up = 15' w/ dc15 Athletics)
(See OOC post#1034 for details)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
You'll note that I simplified the Fog. I did some reading on Fog, both in the adventure, and in 5e Basic Rules. The adventure has the fog getting thicker as you go down, but the basic rules only has two rules for fog: Light Obscurement (disadvantage on perception checks) or Heavy Obscurement (You're Blind).

Those are the same, rules-wise, as Dim Light and Darkness, respectively, and they don't stack with either (a bit like how advantage and disadvantage work).

Now, I don't want the fog to do NOTHING, but I also don't want you all to be blind, either. So I decided on a simple vision range-reduction. Spelled out up there, along with some reminders on how vision works anyway.

I've got "who has darkvision" in my notes, but not your ranges (though I'm aware that Mord has 120'). I have NO IDEA who can do what to mitigate difficult terrain, so if you can ignore DT, you'll have to remind me about it. (Sesto has crampons, and the trolls have claws. THAT I know.)

I hope this'll help. I'll keep it up in the future, too.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
No ability to mitgate Difficult terrain on Mord's part. Though ha does have a sling, never used, and the ability to cast light though. Could he use this as a way of scouting about by chance?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
No ability to mitgate Difficult terrain on Mord's part. Though ha does have a sling, never used, and the ability to cast light though. Could he use this as a way of scouting about by chance?

You mean buy winging stones at the walls to see where they are? Your darkvision goes further than your light spell, so I wouldn't bother with that. There's a Cultist to talk to, though, if you want to try that.

Remove ads