• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OOC) Scourge of Daggerford (Full)

Only Escella is on the stairs and everyone else had moved into the room to engage the gnolls. @Kobold Stew as far as I can tell, Tommi could move 30 25 feet as far as CA36 CB36* without needing to pass through anyone's square, if he wanted to.

*edit: halfling movement

FitzTheRuke

Legend
@Kobold Stew - I have to admit that I agree with everyone (though Tommi's not a halfling!). This is what you did last round: "On the ground floor, Tommi sees the fight on the staircase, but is unable to target the flind-like beast at the top of the stairs."

And now this round: "Tommi looks at the crowd on the stairs, and does not see a way through without pushing past his colleagues. He hears the noise, and smells the burn gnoll flesh, but has no clear attack."

Tommi's the most mobile member of the party (if you don't count Oh-six). I don't know if you're imagining things to have not moved on in the last two rounds, or if you're just busy, but I think they could use Tommi's help here.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Ha ha -- no apologies needed, Taran.

And I know Tommi has been particularly unhelpful this combat. Partly, it's because I think we are not working well as a group, recognizing each others' strengths.

Outside, there were no visible enemies from where Tommi was standing for all four rounds, and engaging with the ones that were there would have meant Tommi running ahead.

Inside, he had enemies for rounds 1-3 and participated fully, but not since then, and there was a bottleneck on the stairs. Though he could do so, he was not going to run past Escella.

One part of my brain is concerned about maintaining the escape route, and wondering if red wizards escape out of windows or through floors (for which Tommi is ready), but also (and this is probably primary) Tommi running into fights has not been well received.

He's got his stones ready, and will attack anyone he sees, or if he is called to help.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
There's no better time to start working like a group than now (whenever now is). It's hard to do when no one indicates their intentions. Tommi could call out, "I'm gonna keep an eye on our escape route - in case we need it!" (Or whatever to that effect) And you'd probably not have anyone giving you a hard time.

Similarly, when you scout ahead, it would probably be good to mention how easy it is for you to get away and return to the group. Not everyone is going to notice that it's YOUR SCHTICK to scout ahead, and barring someone throwing a net over him or maybe Hold Person, Tommi won't get caught up in a fight on his own. (Which I think was the concern earlier when they gave you crap for running off ahead).

Communication is key, and while it might require a few more taps on the keyboard (I know, it's a lot of work) it's probably worth doing to avoid conflict.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
@Kobold Stew
I can give you my 2c on running ahead (but as always, your char, you do you, just don't complain if some less confident or more tactical players nag at Tommi - NOTE that this is not the same as complaining on the way you play your character)

1) Lunn cannot catch you if you move away and start a fight and that's HIS schtick, protecting people, rushing into a fight once he's raging (not otherwise)
2) The group doesn't move as fast and if you DO start a fight, we are at a disadvantage because the enemies can range-attack and/or take cover and/or cast spells while we move closer regardless of how easy it is for Tommi to retreat (and that wasn't really easy while I was orc-DM with that one archer targeting you and melee brute running after you)

Right now, it's close combat, there is no problem with rushing away and you could be up there and using ranged attacks OR melee
Staying down there is fine if you're covering our backs ( I mean, if that is his reason ), just OOC, no one will complain if you get up into the fight

I find that our barbarian and the dwarf tend to strategize out loud and communicate their intentions...I can't really contribute well to the combat for the time being as all I have is cantrips. I did run ahead because I thought it would be better to see the wizard if I was talking to him but that was purely for fluff - I'm glad the fighters interposed themselves between Dr. Morgan and the gnolls. In any case, I'm trying to communicate knowledge IC when I can also. Morgan will probably retreat back a bit now that the wizard is out of the fight so if we do get attacked from behind, he will be able to defend.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
These are the kinds of things that are difficult in PBP. In a F2F game you'd have all hashed this out in 10 minutes and we'd be off. Of course, in PBP, even if we had hashed it out, that may have been months ago, and there's no reason for everyone to even remember what we came up with. Everyone just remember to play nice with others and don't assume that you have a clue about what someone else is thinking (or that they have a clue what you're thinking). Those are good guidelines to live by.

Similarly, when you scout ahead, it would probably be good to mention how easy it is for you to get away and return to the group. Not everyone is going to notice that it's YOUR SCHTICK to scout ahead, and barring someone throwing a net over him or maybe Hold Person, Tommi won't get caught up in a fight on his own. (Which I think was the concern earlier when they gave you crap for running off ahead).
Of course, this is also Escella's schtick. Scouting and running away quickly (via expeditious retreat).

And Escella is running up the stairs next round. She didn't do it this round because that would have been running in blind. No one upstairs is telling us downstairs what's going on up there.

Remove ads