• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OOC) Scourge of Daggerford (Full)

Dr. Wells was sent to investigate the rumours of Thayan Wizards acting around daggerford(or whatever this region is called), which is why I'm not going murder-hobo on the wizard. That said, despite having 'good bedside manner' (persuasion +4), he isn't really a diplomate. So maybe it's a bit meta-gamey but I was hoping someone else could take the lead in the negotiations.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Dr. Wells was sent to investigate the rumours of Thayan Wizards acting around daggerford(or whatever this region is called), which is why I'm not going murder-hobo on the wizard. That said, despite having 'good bedside manner' (persuasion +4), he isn't really a diplomate. So maybe it's a bit meta-gamey but I was hoping someone else could take the lead in the negotiations.

WIth +4, I suspect that only Tommi is better than you at negotiations. Escella can lie more effectively and can certainly help. Everyone else is terrible at it - Lunn is too brusque; Helgrim is too ornery; Lionel is too mousey; and Vairar is too broken. (And Grottur, were we to add NPCs, is too angry.)

Howabout it, @Kobold Stew, does Tommi feel up to the task of trying to pry information out of a Red Wizard? @jmucchiello does Escella want to get involved? If so, give me a post regarding your basic approach and some of the questions that you want answered, and give me your best CHA-based check. (This goes for anyone who wants to get involved). Intimidation is nearly pointless, though. He's too smart to not understand how much trouble he is in.

I doubt Escella wants to negotiate for the Thayan to walk. It probably isn't in the interest of the folks in Daggerford for the Thayan to wander about freely in the area. And for she knows, Wells is working with the Thayan.

I'll post something assuming others are also entering the room with her.

EDIT: I forget the key players. Darfin is the local lord. Who are all our patrons?

I doubt Escella wants to negotiate for the Thayan to walk. It probably isn't in the interest of the folks in Daggerford for the Thayan to wander about freely in the area. And for she knows, Wells is working with the Thayan.

I'll post something assuming others are also entering the room with her.

EDIT: I forget the key players. Darfin is the local lord. Who are all our patrons?
I’m not suggesting he go Scott free. Morgan doesn’t want him getting up to trouble either. Short term I could see her being suspicious of Morgan but two characters can vouch for him so hopefully it’s not an issue long term

Edit: Delphin (spelling?) Darfin Delphen is Morgan’s contact

edit 2: Morgan is offering the Red wizard to 'leave here alive'. He said nothing about leaving 'free' or 'with your spell books' etc... This is exactly what we'll be negotiating.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Maldwyn is Duke of Daggerford, and his sister Morwen is Knight-Marshal. Darfin is the local Elf Lord (he lives in Daggerford most of the year, but his family's estate is between here and there), he has been a regular advisor to Dukes of Daggerford for generations, as his father was before him. Darfin's half-elven nephew, Kelson Darktreader, is Daggerford's Scoutmaster, and Escella's boss. Delphen, whose name might have sometimes been confused with Darfin's, is the local Wizard (he has a tower in Daggerford). Darfin is on the outs with the Duke, but is friends with a retired adventuring Knight named Sir Isteval, who has supported the party with advice (and IIRC, money) to investigate. Of course, the only two from that party who currently remain are Tommi and Lionel.

The party almost caught up with Thegger Grynn once before, in Julkoun, while liberating it from a horde of hobgoblins. He escaped from them by riverboat, and left a trap for Enseth (a former PC Warforged) that nearly "reprogrammed" him into a double-agent, but when the player left us, I had Enseth defeat the reprogramming by shutting himself down and putting his core essence into his familiar, the orb now know as Oh-Six (formerly Orb1-5). None of this has been revealed before, but I figured I'd mention it OOC because I've been sitting on it for YEARS and I don't know if it will ever come up.

It's not the only turning good guys into bad guys that has nearly happened, of course. Escella broke free in the basement of the Floshin Estate, but Titus (@tglassy's old character) very nearly turned to the "dark side" - but was rescued by his old friends Tommi and Lionel. It's still a mystery WHY and WHO did it, but in both cases it seems to have some sort of connection to a Titan known as Sing-Axe (or mysterious figure behind that possible ruse). Titus was left to recover from his ordeal at the Floshin estate, along with their other friend Dandin, a halfling merchant/bard, who stayed (because the player left) to train his new pet bear, Ol' Sooty.

But what is obvious to Tommi (at least) and to the rest, assuming they have spoken about it (and I think they have), a Red Wizard (presumably Thegger here) has been riling up the "usual threats" - Goblins, Orcs, and now Gnolls, to keep the players (both PCs and NPCs) occupied while he does... something unclear.

Any questions?

Maldwyn is Duke of Daggerford, and his sister Morwen is Knight-Marshal. Darfin is the local Elf Lord (he lives in Daggerford most of the year, but his family's estate is between here and there), he has been a regular advisor to Dukes of Daggerford for generations, as his father was before him. Darfin's half-elven nephew, Kelson Darktreader, is Daggerford's Scoutmaster, and Escella's boss. Delphen, whose name might have sometimes been confused with Darfin's, is the local Wizard (he has a tower in Daggerford). Darfin is on the outs with the Duke, but is friends with a retired adventuring Knight named Sir Isteval, who has supported the party with advice (and IIRC, money) to investigate. Of course, the only two from that party who currently remain are Tommi and Lionel.

The party almost caught up with Thegger Grynn once before, in Julkoun, while liberating it from a horde of hobgoblins. He escaped from them by riverboat, and left a trap for Enseth (a former PC Warforged) that nearly "reprogrammed" him into a double-agent, but when the player left us, I had Enseth defeat the reprogramming by shutting himself down and putting his core essence into his familiar, the orb now know as Oh-Six (formerly Orb1-5). None of this has been revealed before, but I figured I'd mention it OOC because I've been sitting on it for YEARS and I don't know if it will ever come up.

It's not the only turning good guys into bad guys that has nearly happened, of course. Escella broke free in the basement of the Floshin Estate, but Titus (@tglassy's old character) very nearly turned to the "dark side" - but was rescued by his old friends Tommi and Lionel. It's still a mystery WHY and WHO did it, but in both cases it seems to have some sort of connection to a Titan known as Sing-Axe (or mysterious figure behind that possible ruse). Titus was left to recover from his ordeal at the Floshin estate, along with their other friend Dandin, a halfling merchant/bard, who stayed (because the player left) to train his new pet bear, Ol' Sooty.

But what is obvious to Tommi (at least) and to the rest, assuming they have spoken about it (and I think they have), a Red Wizard (presumably Thegger here) has been riling up the "usual threats" - Goblins, Orcs, and now Gnolls, to keep the players (both PCs and NPCs) occupied while he does... something unclear.

Any questions?
Ok, to be clear: Delphen is the Wizard who my character was apprenticed to?

Also, my character knows none of the history of this particular Red Wizard because...you know, he just got here. I'm sure the party will enlighten him. Does the party KNOW that this is the same wizard they've run into from before? Do they know he reprogrammed the Warforged?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Okay, first, thanks for the info on Enseth. It's a great explanation for what happoened to 0h-Six, and I knew something had derailed when Enseth left, and we dutifully continued to carry (and still do?) his "corpse" around with us. But that's pretty great.

As for Tommi (since we're in a sharing mood) --
1. I don't want to play in an antisocial way;
2. I am confident Tommi has never encountered anything like a Thayan Wizard before, and that he would be guided by instinct more than decisions.
3. Tommi knows enough not to get between a wizard an dhis spellbook. And Morgan is established as coming from Daggerford, etc., so he'll respect that.
4. His instinct, though, is to punch the Red Wizard. Like, that would be the right thing to do. Punch him, like you'd punch a Nazi, without thinking about it. Just to be a good person.

And, once the IC text had the spellbook handed over, that is what Tommi was going to do.

So I am not sure Tommi is the best negotiator, unless someone convinces him he should try. :D

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Ok, to be clear: Delphen is the Wizard who my character was apprenticed to?
Briefly before moving on to Waterdeep, yes. Early training. Good guy. Somewhat mysterious and clearly is more talented than he lets on.

Also, my character knows none of the history of this particular Red Wizard because...you know, he just got here.
Yes, but you know him better than anyone else does. While he's been basically friendly, he's clearly up to something. You get the impression that he'd say and do anything to progress his agenda.

I'm sure the party will enlighten him. Does the party KNOW that this is the same wizard they've run into from before? Do they know he reprogrammed the Warforged?
Probably not, though it would be a frightening though to think there's many of them.
Okay, first, thanks for the info on Enseth. It's a great explanation for what happoened to 0h-Six, and I knew something had derailed when Enseth left, and we dutifully continued to carry (and still do?) his "corpse" around with us. But that's pretty great.
Thanks. I always thought that you'd like it. I always liked the idea that Enseth was built to combat the Thayan threat, but there was a bit there where Enseth's player seemed to imply that it was all a ruse and that the Warforged was designed to serve them. I decided that it was a trap (you'll find, if you look back, that Enseth did some digging in the Wizard's room in the inn in Julkoun that was left unresolved. There was plenty of time for the wizard to have noticed that Enseth was "on the case" and to potentially design something to thwart him.

At any rate, Enseth's "body" was left behind at the Floshin Estate, along with Lionel's mule, Titus, Dandin, and the War Wagon.

As for Tommi (since we're in a sharing mood) --
1. I don't want to play in an antisocial way;
Tommi has always struck me as a very amiable chap who's quieter around those he sees as "authority", whereas he'd be the life of the party if he were around people he sees as his peers. The other PCs have established themselves more as Authority than Peer. (Other than Lionel).

2. I am confident Tommi has never encountered anything like a Thayan Wizard before, and that he would be guided by instinct more than decisions.
Seems legit.

3. Tommi knows enough not to get between a wizard and his spellbook. And Morgan is established as coming from Daggerford, etc., so he'll respect that.
Sure.
4. His instinct, though, is to punch the Red Wizard. Like, that would be the right thing to do. Punch him, like you'd punch a Nazi, without thinking about it. Just to be a good person.
I'm okay with punching Nazis. Thayans are no better. (Well, obviously SOME of them probably are, just like a lot of WW2-era Germans were, but not many.)

And, once the IC text had the spellbook handed over, that is what Tommi was going to do.
So I am not sure Tommi is the best negotiator, unless someone convinces him he should try. :D
Well. I guess we'll see.

Yes, but you know him better than anyone else does. While he's been basically friendly, he's clearly up to something. You get the impression that he'd say and do anything to progress his agenda.
I think my character understands that - especially since Theggar was 'picking his brain' about Necromancy rituals etc.. My thinking is just that, killing the Wizard gets them nothing (although, I guess his notes are all here) but giving him an opportunity for a major setback in exchange for his life will net us the information we want. But I guess it depends whether he feels the information is worth more than his life...Morgan isn't going to let him leave with his notes or his spellbook, if he can help it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads