• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OOC) Scourge of Daggerford (Full)

Well, I mean, you don't really DO anything to get them, do you? (The collective 'you', not you per se). In this case you set off all the alarms going in, and then you stayed there.
Don't start that. Remember, I'm the one who didn't want to just rush into the building. But, Escella had no choice about being cautious here.
Are you sure it was Theggar she targeted? There’s two wizards in the room ;)
Don't tempt her. :)

Ooh,

Arcane Ward:
When you cast an abjuration spell of 1st level or higher, you can simultaneously use a strand of the spell's magic to create a magical ward on yourself that lasts until you finish a long rest.

Using a scroll
If the spell is on your class's spell list, you can use an action to read the scroll and cast its spell without having to provide any of the spell's components.

I think this means I could activate my Arcane Ward with a scroll - assuming it's abjuration spell

FitzTheRuke

Legend
(I'm making this up to get you some spellcasting):

There is a practice that most Wizards find horrible to contemplate that is called Cannibalising A Spellbook. You can cast a spell directly from your spellbook without taking the time to prepare them, but it causes the pages to react like a scroll - it burns the words off of the page. You KNOW that given the circumstances, Delfen would help you to rebuild the book from his library, as soon as you get back to Daggerford. Still, it's a terrible shame. You would need to make a dc10+Spell Level INT (arcana) check each time you do it, or you'd lose the spell (destroying it and failing to cast). But in a pinch...

OR you could, you know, cannibalize other wizards spellbook :D
I think the issue there is every Wizard’s spellbook is different and you need time to decipher it. (At least by the spell scribing rules), so I probably can’t even read Theggar’s book without needing time to study it. OTOH, looks like there’s a back up book there as long as I don’t mind filling my spellbook up with necromancy spells!

Last edited:

(I'm making this up to get you some spellcasting):

There is a practice that most Wizards find horrible to contemplate that is called Cannibalising A Spellbook. You can cast a spell directly from your spellbook without taking the time to prepare them, but it causes the pages to react like a scroll - it burns the words off of the page. You KNOW that given the circumstances, Delfen would help you to rebuild the book from his library, as soon as you get back to Daggerford. Still, it's a terrible shame. You would need to make a dc10+Spell Level INT (arcana) check each time you do it, or you'd lose the spell (destroying it and failing to cast). But in a pinch...
I don’t want to shoot myself in the foot but, with my expertise in arcana, Morgan can automatically succeed a first level spell. Not that I’d abuse it but it does set a precedent. I feel the difficulty should be higher Maybe:

-(dc 15+spell level) - which puts wizards with expertise at an advantage or;

-it should be a caster level check (straight dc 10+spell level INT roll - like dispel magic). All wizards, at every level, on roughly same playing field.

That creates a high chance of failure of losing the spell so a wizard would rarely do it and you won’t have high level wizards spamming infinite spells out of their books

Failure = wasted action
Failure by 5 or more = destroyed spell

Edit: Or I can spam cantrips and aid other people or start ransacking Theggar’s room. There’s still options!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I don’t want to shoot myself in the foot but, with my expertise in arcana, Morgan can automatically succeed a first level spell. Not that I’d abuse it but it does set a precedent. I feel the difficulty should be higher Maybe:

-(dc 15+spell level) - which puts wizards with expertise at an advantage or;

-it should be a caster level check (straight dc 10+spell level INT roll - like dispel magic). All wizards, at every level, on roughly same playing field.

That creates a high chance of failure of losing the spell so a wizard would rarely do it and you won’t have high level wizards spamming infinite spells out of their books

Failure = wasted action
Failure by 5 or more = destroyed spell

Edit: Or I can spam cantrips and aid other people or start ransacking Theggar’s room. There’s still options!
The caster-level check was what I was thinking of, not Arcana as I wrote. Even attempting it destroys the page, though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads