D&D (2024) Out with the old, in with the new?

How much older 5e material will you keep in your game?

• Hard reset. Once I get the new books, all that’s gone before is gone.

Votes: 13 9.6%
  • Soft reset. I’ll keep a few things, at least until new books offer replacements.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Pick and choose. Much will be carried forward, but some might be excluded.

Votes: 50 37.0%
  • Everything is in. Let a thousand flowers bloom.

Votes: 20 14.8%
  • No 2024 for me. I’m sticking with the books I have.

Votes: 26 19.3%

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
This is the part that worries me. Do I need to worry about monkeying around with monsters to take into account the new power creep for PCs. I can do it and do modify the monsters and NPC all the time, but do I get into the habit of doing it before the new rules come out? I kind of want to see the rules and then play with the 'standard' rules before I say they suck and change them.
Do you modify monsters know based on the power difference between existing PC options? I can't see the power delta between old and new class options to be greater than the difference between, say, a twilight cleric and a trickery cleric, or a hexblade/paladin versus a hunter ranger.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Interesting to note that in this thread only 18.9% (as of this post) don't plan to switch to the revised books at all. Shows how pointless it is to draw many conclusions when the other thread puts it at 44.3%. Although, once again, there should probably be a "I'm not playing 5E now so I don't plan on buying new books anyway" option which would probably drop that number even lower.
Yea, but the questions aren't exactly the same. I don't plan on getting the books, but I don't care if someone else uses them in my game, hence why I voted for the "flowers" option.

I think there's probably a decent contingent of us who aren't against the changes, we just don't think the new book adds a lot of value.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Existing books don't just "disappear" off of shelves when a newer version releases.
As we get closer to launch, the sales of the existing edition drop way off. That, in my opinion, is why new editions talk about backwards compatibility. To keep people still buying the existing edition. Once the new books hit, you won't hear too much about that anymore because they will want to move the new product.

Clint_L

Hero
Actually not the complete opposite of that- they said that this is the final state of D&D, that they're happy with the 5th edition ruleset. That the game would continue to evolve on this final state- although I don't call entirely new sets of core rulebooks "gradual" change.
No, they emphatically did not call this "the final state of D&D" or anything like that. Rewatch the video. They said they are keeping 5e as the basic rules set but the game would continue to incrementally evolve, not through drastic edition rule changes but through occasional updates building onto the 5e rules set so that the game keeps moving forward and evolving with the times. The exact opposite of a "final state."

Which is exactly what 2024 is. I've been using it. It's fully backwards compatible. The games run the same. You can pick up a 2014 adventure and use it straight off the shelf. You can run a party that is mixed between characters using 2014 and 2024 rules. I've done it. I'm doing it in my current home game.

Li Shenron

Legend
How do you think the new books will change your game?

They won't change our games because we'll keep playing 2014 5e edition, but they will have an effect in the sense of making mainstream gamers completely uninterested in joining our games, which is itself a benefit. Not as huge as when 3.0 was revised to 3.5 though...

Clint_L

Hero
Yea, but the questions aren't exactly the same. I don't plan on getting the books, but I don't care if someone else uses them in my game, hence why I voted for the "flowers" option.

I think there's probably a decent contingent of us who aren't against the changes, we just don't think the new book adds a lot of value.
You're obviously not currently playing a monk!

They won't change our games because we'll keep playing 2014 5e edition, but they will have an effect in the sense of making mainstream gamers completely uninterested in joining our games, which is itself a benefit. Not as huge as when 3.0 was revised to 3.5 though...

Why would they be uninterested? You'll be playing the same game as them. Joining your game game would be this challenging: "we're using 2014 versions of the character classes. Cool?" In my current campaign, players are using both. It's zero problem. Zero.

This is the part that worries me. Do I need to worry about monkeying around with monsters to take into account the new power creep for PCs.
Math did not fit very well before, so probably no?
Part of that is that the powercreep is minimal if you look at the most powerful 2014 builds.
I can do it and do modify the monsters and NPC all the time, but do I get into the habit of doing it before the new rules come out?
I would not worry that much.
I kind of want to see the rules and then play with the 'standard' rules before I say they suck and change them.
Good idea. I think you can easily use mordenkainens monsters of the multiverse in the meantime. Or fiddle with them. They seem a lot more up to date than 2014 MM monsters which were not that great in 2014 anyway.
Even monsters from volo's guide to monsters were a lot better than MM monsters.

Remove ads