• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pre-WotC editions inquiry

Remathilis

Legend
[MENTION=40328]Animal[/MENTION]

Since nobody gave you the pro-cons, I'll give you the rundown.

OD&D (1974): The original. Fun, but since the rules are piecemeal, very hard to start with. I'd say skip it.

Basic: Basic D&D comes in two major formats: B/X (Basic Expert, early 80's) and BECMI (Basic Expert Champion Master Immortal, late 80s). The two expert sets (blue boxes) are different as the scale of the game changed, but they're generally compatible. The latter BECMI D&D was compiled into the Rules Cyclopedia in the 90's.

Basic has 7 classes (fighter, magic user, cleric, thief, elf, dwarf, halfling) in the core. Demihuman's are classes and only have one option (dwarf and halflings are roughly fighters, elves are fighter/mages). Ability scoes are similar to 3e. Class features and spells are simpler, but the game scales much higher (36th level for humans). Basic tends to be more high-fantasy and the classes are a bit weaker.

AD&D 1e: Basic with a lot more complex options. Ability scores changed (need higher #s to get a bonus, and each score had multiple bonuses). Race and class separate. More classes (paladin, ranger, druid, illusionist, assassin, monk) and races (gnome, half-elf, half-orc). High Hit Dice equals more hp on average. Classes have more abilities. Combat adds more factors and options. Initiative is a mess. More monsters (demons, devils, etc) and spells. More pulpy-sword and sorcery feel to the text.

AD&D 2e: Revision to 1e. Some things are streamlined. Wizards can specialize in schools of magic. Clerics can be customized to deity (though no rules for this was really given). Assassins, half-orcs and monks gone in core, bards made core. Revised initiative and surprise. Demons and Devils renamed, dragons and giants buffed. More high-fantasy and myth in the text. Overall, tries to clairify and correct 1e while being mostly compatible.

I prefer 2e and BECMI versions (the latter in the RC). You have to be careful with all of them though, they have lots of weak spots and odd rules, and things don't balance out like they should. That said, they are A LOT of fun.

Mythmere1

First Post
[MENTION=40328]Animal[/MENTION]

Since nobody gave you the pro-cons, I'll give you the rundown.
[Excellent summary of earlier editions]
Awesome post, Remathilis.

To the OP: I'm the original author of OSRIC, and the author of Swords & Wizardry. I also wrote a little booklet called the Quick Primer for Old School Gaming, which might be interesting for you since you're going to try out some of the older rules. My suggestion for getting into pre-3e D&D is to start as simple as possible, because the goal is to learn how to play without using a rule for everything, and this is very hard to do when you already know a rule for everything (from the ones you used in 3e). It is very difficult to forget everything and start improvising. Simple means:
a) OD&D is simple to play, but hard to learn. The Swords & Wizardry retroclone is the better option for learning it, then move on either to Swords & Wizardry Complete (from Frog God Games) or to the actual original books. They will be sold through WotC very soon -- used copies will probably be very expensive in Ukraine.
b) Basic D&D is also easy to learn. You can get the original pdf from WotC for $5, or you can get the clone, Labyrinth Lord. From there, if you want to advance, you can move on to Advanced D&D or its clone, OSRIC.

Those are the two pathways I would suggest. Since Swords & Wizardry has an ascending AC option, that will create less of a bump while learning how to play. Starting with one of the simple rules to "get the hang of it," then on to something more advanced.

I recommend you start with Moldvay Basic, usually cheap on Ebay:
View attachment 55878

And a search for "Basic D&D" on ebay.com turns up surprising results! :devil:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=Basic+DD&rt=nc

This x10000000. or via DTRPG.

Yeah, the clones are nicely laid out. Some have improved on the original rules.

But you're missing out on so much of the original flavor and tenor of why some of us old timers love early D&D without picking up the original material. B/X (or BECMI) are a great way to get that early feel because they are simple, self-contained, yet fully complete, and have all the retro artwork and memes that still underly D&D 30+ years later. I love 1E (and 3E, and like 4E), but I have to admit for an easy to learn and classic old-school feel, a romp through the Caves of Chaos, the Lost City, Castle Amber or the Isle of Dread with the old rules is hard to beat.

Once you've done a little B/X or BECMI it's an easy segway to 1/2E or your favorite retroclone, and you'll appreciate the others more after starting with the originals.

Last edited:

DnD_Dad

First Post
D&D B/X(here's some stuff we made from playing too much chain mail and we want our characters to have stories) play if you want to see where it all came from, but if you don't remember it coming out and playing way back when it might seem antiquated compared to newer systems.

AD&D 1st(gritty unorganized books,) good for oh crap I'm scared to fight this rat feeling, but endless role playing opportunities as there aren't too many rules to get in the way.

AD&D 2nd(my love)it's a lot of fun, more balanced than 1st overall, but adds lots of tweaking and opportunities for min/maxing. It like 1st with superheroes.

Skills and powers... Um you don't want to know what I thing about S/P. Go back now!

Remove ads