D&D (2024) Ranger 2024 is a bigger joke than Ranger 2014:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Nudges.

And that's the problem. They never state how loud verbal components are, and when directly asked, have always evaded the question and left it up to DMs. So we're in this bizarre state where verbal components might be something you can whisper, or might be something you have to yell at the top of your voice, depending entirely on your DM and how they are feeling today.

I agree broadly that there is some suggestion that verbal components are non-silent but that's as far as it goes. And a lot of the suggestion is merely implied by the existence of Silence and Sorcerer metamagic.
And really the whole issue is casting while stealthy.

It's clear that you make a sound when casting spells with verbal components.

What happens when you do and the limit to lowest volume allowed up to the DM. But sould is always made unless you have a specific feature that makes verbal component silent or removes them.

But 90% of this current conversation is people being upset that you can cast spells right next to foes while being stealthily.

I'd argue that in D&D, tradition dictates that rangers buffed up WELL before engaging. Especially with the long durations of 1e-3e spells.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
3. Spellcasting from 1st level, but no cantrips at 1st level or none at all unless you spend extra class features for them?
How can 1/3rd casters(EK&AT) manage to learn few cantrips when they get spells, but half-casters(that should in theory be better at it than 1/3rd casters) are somehow too dumb to learn few tricks with spells from the start?
How can Warlocks get all their spell slots back every short rest, but Wizards(that should in theory be better at casting than warlocks) are somehow too dump to learn to get them back that fast?

As you can see, you're making assumptions that this is one linear thing that has a set progression when it's not. Perhaps because half casters are partial casters, while the 1/3 casters are filling old multiclassing roles. Or that 1/3 was so slow that it was given a ribbon of cantrips (against non-prime ability scores) that 1/2 wasn't needed. Or it's by the role of magic for that class, and completely independent of 1/2 or 1/3 (or 1) and just comes out that way.

Hussar

Legend
It mattered more in 2e when spells had to be declared at the beginning of a round, the caster could be interrupted, and the spells had casting times. For 5e? I don’t see it mattering nearly as much now.
I suppose. Thing is though, most casting times were so much faster than most weapon attacks that the wizard was going to go first in the round most of the time anyway. Large creatures were +6 to init and most spells, and certainly most combat spells, had a casting time of 1xspell level. Give the wizard a reasonable Dex, and it was very likely the wizard was going to win init.

Remove ads