D&D (2024) Ranger playtest discussion

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I think you are forgetting the utility powers...
Nope.

Only 2 of the 4e PHB1 Ranger's 16 Utility powers strickly helps you in wilderness exploration: Careful Advise and Skilled Companion. Both compete with combat utilities as well.

2 more kinda sorta do via ignoring terrain and boosting speed for 1 turn.

Haplo781

Legend
If one actually wants wilderness stuff, it's not a competition.

Rangers didn't need additional combat enhancements, anyway.
The problem is that, in D&D, combat takes up about 90% of the rules and is basically guaranteed to happen once a session or so.

Wilderness exploration may or may not ever come up and if it does you can handle it with some skill checks.

So why blow a utility slot (of which you get 7 over 30 levels) on a power that you might not use in a typical session, when you can pick one that you know will come up every time you play?

Remathilis

Legend
Nope.

Only 2 of the 4e PHB1 Ranger's 16 Utility powers strickly helps you in wilderness exploration: Careful Advise and Skilled Companion. Both compete with combat utilities as well.

2 more kinda sorta do via ignoring terrain and boosting speed for 1 turn.
I think there are a lot of people forgetting what the classes looked like in 2008 vs what they looked like after 3 years of expansion, including monthly Dragon options.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
If one actually wants wilderness stuff, it's not a competition.

Rangers didn't need additional combat enhancements, anyway.
It wasn't really. The combat utilities at those levels weren't that good.

The point was it was "Shift Wis Mod squares" OR "give an ally Wis Mod bonus to a skill check."

The exploration bits were skill challenges and Rituals. Rangers didn't get rituals and the fighter would blow the skill challenge with their low Stealth/Perception/Survival/Dungeoneering.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
4e Rangers did have a few magical powers though, since they had a slice of the Primal power source- I remember a teleport that gave me +5 to all defenses for a turn, another teleport that linked two squares on the battlefield so you could blink from one to another, and a power that let you reshape the terrain.

As for Rangers and magic, well, other than 4e and some variant options to remove spells in 3e (which were strictly worse than having access to magic in the first place), Rangers have had magic as long as I've been playing the game. So I'm not sure why anyone would want to make them less magical just because.

Now wanting actual class features instead of spells? That would be nice, but it's obviously not WotC's bag- even in 3e, you needed specialty spells to make Rangers really good (outside of the Sword of the Arcane Order). In fact, there was a spell that let you shoot a volley of arrows, as I recall.

WotC is obviously more comfortable cranking out a bunch of new spells than they are with making class and subclass abilities, so I'm terrified of what a spell-less Ranger would look like, if they made one.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
4e Rangers did have a few magical powers though, since they had a slice of the Primal power source- I remember a teleport that gave me +5 to all defenses for a turn, another teleport that linked two squares on the battlefield so you could blink from one to another, and a power that let you reshape the terrain.
The 4e ranger didn'tget these powers in the PHB.
The 4e PHB Ranger was just HIGH DAMAGE and "Shift X squares so the monster couldn't hit you".

Most came in later books or in Essentials when the edition was being redone.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast

As for Rangers and magic, well, other than 4e and some variant options to remove spells in 3e (which were strictly worse than having access to magic in the first place), Rangers have had magic as long as I've been playing the game. So I'm not sure why anyone would want to make them less magical just because.

Now wanting actual class features instead of spells? That would be nice, but it's obviously not WotC's bag- even in 3e, you needed specialty spells to make Rangers really good (outside of the Sword of the Arcane Order). In fact, there was a spell that let you shoot a volley of arrows, as I recall.

WotC is obviously more comfortable cranking out a bunch of new spells than they are with making class and subclass abilities, so I'm terrified of what a spell-less Ranger would look like, if they made one.
This is why you need to think outside the Wizard of the Coast.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
The 4e ranger didn'tget these powers in the PHB.
The 4e PHB Ranger was just HIGH DAMAGE and "Shift X squares so the monster couldn't hit you".

Most came in later books or in Essentials when the edition was being redone.
Oh is that important? I mean, they didn't have specialty spells or variant options (like being spell less) in the 3e PHB either. I was just looking at the class overall.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases