D&D 5E Ranking 1st level spells

Dausuul

Legend
Sleep is D tier?

Wut?
I think this list should really be split out into two lists: Caster level 1-4, and caster level 5+. The list of spells you want in the 1-4 range, and the list of spells you want at the 5+ range, have very little overlap. (Shield, for example, is an amazing spell at higher levels, but how often do you want it when it costs 1/3 of your daily spell slots?)

But if they must be merged into a single list... yeah, I agree, "Wut?" is an appropriate response. Sleep is a niche spell but absolutely dominates that niche. There is no way it deserves to sit in the same tier as witch bolt.

Seems like you just getting lucky with the -1d4 making a difference.

We know Saving Throws are ‘swingy’, anything that can swing luck your way, is strong.

Bane has contributed to saving the party’s bacon, twice per my records, and contributed to an expenditure of Legendary Resistance. Is it lucky that the Bane spell was enough to tip the scales...sure...but better lucky than good.

S level is must have spells to me. A Wizard must have Alarm and Comp Languages, a Sorcerer not so much.

I have quite a few specialized tools at home, that does not mean those tools are less valuable than a hammer.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
While they are italicized, I think you might have edited out the part about rituals. The only possible thing I could think of is where you mention in D tier not having spend much on them. If that's what you meant, it's a little vague, because non-wizards have to have them prepared or have a similar feature to the wizard's spellbook, which is a cost.

Yes, which is why they are D Tier.

If you are a Wizard and in your game it is easy to do spell research, then sure, have at it.

If there is a cost associated with getting them though then even though they are rituals they are still D Tier as they are unlikely to be useful in a standard game.

99% of spells could be good in a specific game. It's impossible to create a general recommendation list factoring in all the special types of campaigns and houserules out there.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
We know Saving Throws are ‘swingy’, anything that can swing luck your way, is strong.

Bane has contributed to saving the party’s bacon, twice per my records, and contributed to an expenditure of Legendary Resistance. Is it lucky that the Bane spell was enough to tip the scales...sure...but better lucky than good.

S level is must have spells to me. A Wizard must have Alarm and Comp Languages, a Sorcerer not so much.

I have quite a few specialized tools at home, that does not mean those tools are less valuable than a hammer.

but how many times has it been used in the campaign? 3 accounts if you use it eve try other fight... that’s not impressive

It has not been used every fight. Sometimes like a Bless spell, it is over kill....the creature would have missed on an attack or failed the Saving Throw anyway.

That said, 3 confirmed cases where it made the difference between life or death, is a big deal, to me at least.

An airbag in a car is only going to save your life once.

A 1st level spell, that can help an enemy fail Saves, at any tier, strikes me as a useful spell. Better than a 'D' grade spell.

That is my game, your mileage may vary.

Shiroiken

Legend
Yes, which is why they are D Tier.

If you are a Wizard and in your game it is easy to do spell research, then sure, have at it.

If there is a cost associated with getting them though then even though they are rituals they are still D Tier as they are unlikely to be useful in a standard game.

99% of spells could be good in a specific game. It's impossible to create a general recommendation list factoring in all the special types of campaigns and houserules out there.
For non-wizards there's the cost of preparation, but that's no different than Featherfall, which you rated top tier. If you need it it's great, but otherwise it's a wasted prepared spell. They're all situational, but you seem to have deliberately dropped most of the rituals into the toilet.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
I have to say I am a Bane fan as well. I know Bless is obviously stronger as it always lands but Bane is one of my faves and I would actually cast it over Bless but that is because I prefer that playstyle. It is essential for the debuff Bard with cutting words and maybe VM and it also has a good chance of landing as well. I'm not convinced it lies in the low tier.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
For non-wizards there's the cost of preparation, but that's no different than Featherfall, which you rated top tier. If you need it it's great, but otherwise it's a wasted prepared spell. They're all situational, but you seem to have deliberately dropped most of the rituals into the toilet.

Yeah, that's where I think most of them belong.

Maybe I should have been more clear about the purpose of the ranking. Other than give me something to do while quarantined I wanted to come up with a list of spells that when a player asks me 'what is a good spell to take' I can just show them a list of what they are likely to have as safe bets and what they might be disappointed by.

I have to say I am a Bane fan as well. I know Bless is obviously stronger as it always lands but Bane is one of my faves and I would actually cast it over Bless but that is because I prefer that playstyle. It is essential for the debuff Bard with cutting words and maybe VM and it also has a good chance of landing as well. I'm not convinced it lies in the low tier.

Definitely not playing the game wrong by taking a C Tier spell.

If that is your preferred playstyle then that is great. It's just an indication that it might not be as good as it first appears to be.

Like with Cure Wounds. A player might not realize that between Hit Dice and Healing Potions that small amount of healing for a spell slot might not be satisfactory.

I personally like Armor of Agathys, Arms of Hadar, and Comprehend Languages but I put them in C Tier because I recognize that they might not be satisfactory choices.

so true, they are worse than all "control" or "buff" spells that you can have.

While I don't disagree with you, I'm trying to look at it from what is 'average'. It's a tough definition to make. If direct damage spells is the thing you want to do, what is an average pick and what is a superior one? Is it a complete mistake to make a character like that? I think the answer is no. I do appreciate the argument that a character based around direct damage like that probably won't be as effective as a character who isn't. But then that's why they're in B Tier and not S or A.

so true, they are worse than all "control" or "buff" spells that you can have.
I play an evoker wizard more than one year, and I was using damage spell not so often.
of course once in a while there were perfect setup for an area spell, but often control, buff and debuff was a better option.

Remove ads