D&D 4E Reply if you love 4e

mneme

Explorer
Me. 3e was fun and crunchy, for when I wanted a fun and crunchy time.

The current version, though, gives even more fun crunch and sword swinging adventure, except that more of the crunch matters, and there's less boring planning and sitting in a corner for a while. Just all swashbuckling adventure, all the time. Definitely not what I want to do all the time, but a very fun story centered gamist experience.

TheFindus

First Post
I really love 4E. My players love it, my wife and kids love it, it just is a great experience. I am having a blast.

It is extremely easy to prepare for a game session. As a GM, I can really concentrate on the story and do not have to worry much about stats anymore.
I love the digital tools, I want them to never ever go away.
I love how combat in 4E can be a story in it's own right, because everybody tells the story of how the powers work in the fiction. I also like the fact that the Paladin is a completely different defender from the Battlemind and how the Monk is a completely different striker from the Ranger. And at last everybody contributes to the game on a mechanical level.

I have played many editions of DnD. This really is the best edition so far. By far.

And I think this message is not nearly spread around enough. Instead, I see people that do not seem to like or play 4E start polls about 5e, in this way marketing for the demise of this beautiful and awesome edition. And that is a shame.

Balesir

Adventurer
4E has me more invested and more excited about D&D than I have been since sometime around 1980. It finally gives us a D&D game that does what it does really well, and doesn't even try to do what it does poorly; since I have a myriad of other systems that do these things, that's no real loss at all.

We have a TV advertisement (for a car) here that goes "Don't you love it when things just... work?"

4E does just that.

was

Adventurer
There are things I love about 4E. There are things I hate about 4E as well. Its been that way with me for every edition, so I can't really call any of them bad.

Rhenny

Adventurer
I love 4e because it revived me and my gaming group. I ran an online 2 1/2 year 3.5 campaign and got burnt out. I gave the DMing duties to one of my players, and after 6 more months the game fell apart.

As casual (1 or 2 games per month) players (even though we were all played D&D for over 30 years), 3.5 was too complicated. We kept forgetting what our PCs could do month to month, and we didn't have time to study the rules/books. I took a break from D&D for a year or so, and then when 4e came along, it charged me up.

I love DMing 4e and was able to bring my group back together to play almost weekly for the past 3 months.

In our 4e sessions, we do a ton of roleplaying and combats are exciting. Although the rules are combat centered, I can use the rules to drive the story and the campaign. I love using skill challenges and combats in combination, and my players love killing minions wholesale on occasion.

I just recently subscribed to DDI and have moved my campaign over to VTT. We haven't resumed the games yet, but I love the VTT integration with the monster database and character builder. I'm sure we'll have a blast with it.

OpsKT

Explorer
While I don't love 4e, it is my favorite of the currently supported forms of D&D, with Castles & Crusades a close second and Pathfinder a distant third.

My favorite games right now are Savage Worlds (Necessary Evil, Slipstream, and Deadlands) and Mage: the Awakening.

Truename

First Post
I love the monster variety and encounter balance. I love being able to make my own unique monsters easily and with confidence. I love being able to choose an XP budget for an encounter and know exactly how hard the fight's going to push the players.

This weekend, I'm running a huge paragon tier battle (WotBS spoilers) with 40 critters on the table (mostly custom-designed swarms representing dozens of combatants each). I love knowing that the combat will be fast-paced, interesting, and that it will work!

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
I'm not very tactically gifted. In fact, I hate tactical games. I hate chess. I hate Risk. I hate Red Alert. Can't stand those kind of games--they bore me to death.

Some of my players through the years have been brilliant tacticians, though. This has sometimes been a problem when they plow through my great dramatic encounters with such speed and ease that I don't get to showcase all the little cinematic clever bits that I had prepared--I need the time to mindfrack them, goddamnit!

4e does not magically make me a great tactician. But it gives me the tools that I need to give them a challenge, without having to be one. It lets me, with minimum of fuss, halt them long enough to be able to infuse things with cool; to confuse them and play with their expectations. 4e helps me impress my players with my cleverness. Which is important to me.

There's a lot of things I like about 4e, but that's why I love 4e.

Remove ads