D&D 4E Reply if you love 4e

Dausuul

Legend
I love several aspects of 4E. It was the first edition to achieve really solid class balance; it has the best monster creation guidelines of any edition to date; and no edition, including the Next playtest, is nearly as good at handling the Big Fight Scene. When you want a great big climactic showdown with suspenseful pacing, tense action, and lots of tactical goodness, 4E delivers like nothing else.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
4e is kind of amazing in how it locked down The Maths to such a precise degree that, once you get the basic elements of it, it can be probably the most flexible edition of D&D ever in terms of customizing the basic gameplay.

4e is vital in how it challenged the status-quo, too. Its controversy helps even its opponents better describe what they want out of a game. Those who hate it can't ignore it, and it's sometimes necessary to push the line if for no other reason than to remember why the line might be useful sometimes. :)

4e's a solid game, with a safe place in my D&D roster.

Storminator

First Post
4e is kind of amazing in how it locked down The Maths to such a precise degree that, once you get the basic elements of it, it can be probably the most flexible edition of D&D ever in terms of customizing the basic gameplay.

4e is vital in how it challenged the status-quo, too. Its controversy helps even its opponents better describe what they want out of a game. Those who hate it can't ignore it, and it's sometimes necessary to push the line if for no other reason than to remember why the line might be useful sometimes. :)

I was impressed with how many things I didn't like about my previous gaming that didn't bother me until 4e showed me a different way of playing.

PS

Larrin

Entropic Good
I echo how easy it is to DM in 4e, I have a note book with a 'mosters stat per level' card in the cover and before the session I just jot down defenses, to hit, HP and a few other things appropriate to the level (skill DCs) and That is all I need for prep work on the numbers side, I can just focus on the story. I ran a campaign with 90% of the monsters using this technique, and Players couldn't tell and when I told them had no problem with it. I'm sure I could learn to do the same in 3.5 or 5e, but with 4e it was the natural evolution of my style of DMing.

I love playing it as a character, as a way of teaching new players, and playing around with it in my mind.

4e is my edition of D&D, for sure. I have disappointments and criticisms, but nothing I can't fix at my table, usually.

fjw70

Adventurer

Good point. 4e can be really flexible. Even more so than WotC realizes.

Another good point. Mixed in the edition warring has been some good discussions on what people like and don't like about RPGs.

Me too. Every now and then I think I get tired of 4e and start looking around at other system. It doesn't take too long to realize that even though other games have interesting things none of them are as well put together as 4e.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
It's nice to see this thread get necro'd; a refreshing breath of fresh air amid the anti-4e hate.

I'm still happily running games with it (albeit houseruled extensively), and Next just doesn't give me what I want as of the last playtest packet, so until I see otherwise, I'll continue running 4e.

Someone asked me to join a game recently and is still undecided on the system. In thinking up a character, it made me realize that even from a PC perspective how much I'd prefer 4e to PF/3.5 or Next.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Me too. Every now and then I think I get tired of 4e and start looking around at other system. It doesn't take too long to realize that even though other games have interesting things none of them are as well put together as 4e.

Bears repeating! While I admire other games (and other e's) for a lot of things, things they may do better than 4e out-of-the-box, I'd almost always rather steal ideas from them and add them onto my 4e chassis than the other way around.

fjw70

Adventurer
Bears repeating! While I admire other games (and other e's) for a lot of things, things they may do better than 4e out-of-the-box, I'd almost always rather steal ideas from them and add them onto my 4e chassis than the other way around.

Yes the 4e chassis is really the defining element of 4e for me, and my favorite part of 4e.

The Human Target

Adventurer
It really is great.

I'm working on learning the Edge of the Empire system now, and it has a lot of good stuff going for it.

But 4e really spoiled me with its balance and clarity.

Its a game that really feels like a lot of smart people sat around and really thought about every component.

And the beauty of the monster design...

sabrinathecat

Explorer
4E was brilliant. And then they added Essentials and nearly destroyed the entire rule system. Other areas which should have been covered were utterly neglected. Topics were stated, then abandoned without explanation or thought.
4E got shafted. A pity. It and we deserved better.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases