• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Rogue's Been in an Awkward Place, And This Survey Might Be Our Last Chance to Let WotC Know.

ECMO3

Hero
If your opponent is big enough, you can move through its square for free as well. My PCs have used it occasionally though.

Not really for free, it is difficult terrain, which makes it "difficult" to move through effectively without dashing

Because it is difficult terrain, it takes 25 foot of movement to move through a large opponent to a square on the opposite side of that opponent and 35 foot of movement to move through a huge opponent to the square on the opposite side. So unless you use dash this is rarely an option at all for medium PCs and only an option for small PCs if they start within 10 feet of a large enemy and have a 30 foot move.

Last edited:

Pauln6

Hero
Not really for free, it is difficult terrain, which makes it "difficult" to move through effectively without dashing

Because it is difficult terrain, it takes 25 foot of movement to move through a large opponent to a square on the opposite side of that opponent and 35 foot of movement to move through a huge opponent to the square on the opposite side. So unless you use dash this is rarely an option at all for medium PCs and only an option for small PCs if they start within 10 feet of the enemy and have a 30 foot move.
I think it's interesting that a lot of the mechanics subtly mimic certain tropes without being overt. The thief-acrobat trope is subtly better than non rogue acrobats because they are so much more mobile. That said, if you wanted to build Diana from the cartoon, she would need to be Rogue 2, Fighter 4, with the athlete and mobile feats because neither staves nor unarmed attacks benefit from sneak attack or dexterity.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I think it's interesting that a lot of the mechanics subtly mimic certain tropes without being overt. The thief-acrobat trope is subtly better than non rogue acrobats because they are so much more mobile. That said, if you wanted to build Diana from the cartoon, she would need to be Rogue 2, Fighter 4, with the athlete and mobile feats because neither staves nor unarmed attacks benefit from sneak attack or dexterity.

I think she'd work better in what has been proposed for the 2024 rules, which I seem to recall do address both the staves and unarmed attacks issue for sneak attack?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Monk would help here.

Pauln6

Hero
Monk would help here.
I suppose you could hand wave away qi points as the grim determination of a high school gymnastics team. Dungeomaster called her an acrobat, not monk but then let's be honest, neither the thief, cavalier, or magician actually exhibited any of their respective classes' official class features...

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I suppose you could hand wave away qi points as the grim determination of a high school gymnastics team. Dungeomaster called her an acrobat, not monk but then let's be honest, neither the thief, cavalier, or magician actually exhibited any of their respective classes' official class features...
I mean, not only that, the actual D&D class was Thief-Acrobat, which required you to be a 5th level, and it's not like she ever used her 5th level thieving abilities.

I only brought up the Monk as it is, in fact, a way to use Dexterity for using a Staff (and the extra mobility certainly helps). To truly capture a Thief-Acrobat in 5e, I'd also probably want the Rogue's Thief subclass to get Second Story Work.

Vikingkingq

Adventurer
Read the post I quoted when I explained it. That post was specifically talking about using the 5e tumble to avoid an opportunity attack. Such a thing onlyhappens in an extremely narrow situation as described because of how hard it is to provoke one in the distance a tumble through moves the tumbler
Ok, but my point is that the same situation also applied in 3.X!
That's my point! I literally said that! The strength athletics check built into the 5e jump RAW is such an an extreme edge case that there is no reason for any class to use dex acrobatics for it
I do not understand what you're getting at here.
"When you land in difficult terrain, you must succeed on a DC 10 Dexterity (Acrobatics) check to land on your
feet. Otherwise, you land prone.". Nor does doing the jump involve any other check because. " When you make a long jump, you cover a number of feet up to your Strength score if you move at least least 10 feet on foot immediately before the jump."
Perhaps you meant to quote someone else with this post arguing that my points are correct
I am making a distinction between Dex (Acrobatics) being used to jump versus being used to keep your balance on rough terrain after you jump.

Remove ads