D&D 5E Sage Advice is back!

My experience is really the biggest issues a lot of GMs have is just being very bad at communicating what they actually want. This is, in many ways understandable, because people have very different frames of reference.

One GM may advertise a game "No Tieflings and Dragonborn". He may be thinking "this communicates my intention to run an old school game using traditional AD&D races only" but of course it doesn't. The potential player sees this message and draws upon their experience; in all previous games they've played in all races have been pretty much allowed open slather so they see the message and think "That's weird, why just those specific races - perhaps there's some kind of in game story reason" and they make a Tabaxi.

The GM goes on to the internet to complain about the players these days who want to impose Tabaxis on their games.

My experience is really the biggest issues a lot of GMs have is just being very bad at communicating what they actually want. This is, in many ways understandable, because people have very different frames of reference.

One GM may advertise a game "No Tieflings and Dragonborn". He may be thinking "this communicates my intention to run an old school game using traditional AD&D races only" but of course it doesn't. The potential player sees this message and draws upon their experience; in all previous games they've played in all races have been pretty much allowed open slather so they see the message and think "That's weird, why just those specific races - perhaps there's some kind of in game story reason" and they make a Tabaxi.

The GM goes on to the internet to complain about the players these days who want to impose Tabaxis on their games.
While this probably happens, I just don't think that's really a core issue.

Remove ads