D&D 5E Should 5e have more classes (Poll and Discussion)?

Should D&D 5e have more classes?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
That' one way to do it - but reskinning stuff like "aura of protection" to a wizard-appropriate ability is a big stretch
Well, I wouldn't make it a close duplicate to a reskinned Paladin, but just use that as a base.

I don't have any hope of an official version for 5e, because they refuse to correct mistakes by changing existing stuff, but hopefully they'll take this into account for the next edition whenever that happens.
Very true. I hope we'll see some changes when 6E comes out based on the input from forums such as these. I doubt we will, but you never know.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I remember skimming over that. IIRC on a hit, if the spell normally allows a save, the target fails it automatically? If so, that is way too OP for me, anyway, and at best maybe impose disadvantage on the saving?
It's powerful, and needs work, but isn't OP to switch a saving throw to an attack roll. A d20 roll is a d20 roll. It does continue after you miss, but I'm going to change that up so it's less OP sometime soon.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
It's powerful, and needs work, but isn't OP to switch a saving throw to an attack roll. A d20 roll is a d20 roll. It does continue after you miss, but I'm going to change that up so it's less OP sometime soon.
It's also balanced by the fact that the class has very few spells that are actually strong save only spells.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
It's also balanced by the fact that the class has very few spells that are actually strong save only spells.
Yes, and this is partially due to them being a half-caster. They have some good save spells (most of them damage dealing), but they are mostly balanced around having a fairly limited spell list.

I guess 6th Ed will not arrive until 2030. Today Hasbro is too busy and worried about to promote the brand as multimedia franchise.

After the psionic powers the next step may the the martial maneuvers or some equivalent. Then the duskblade would be more like the warlock, with lower number of spells but recovered with a short rest (1 hour), or spending spell slots to add some metamagic effect (for example energy substitution) to some martial maneuver. Then if the game designers are too busy with a rehash of the swordsage class then the duskblade may be delayed.

Maybe the first step of the 5th ed class will be demi-official, something like the blood hunter, for a long time, waiting the feedback until the ultimate publishing in the books. For example the warlord.

We have to remember several videogames are being developed, not only Baldur's Gate and the other two (one of them d20 but sci-fi not linked to D&D). If it's no medieval fantasy this will mean totally new classes. If one of these videogames is about strategy or a war gang, then the warlord class will have to appear yes or yes. And maybe it works in the videogame but in the tabletop could be too complicated and slow to play.

* Lots of (beat'em) videogames have got fighters with some magic tricks, but these rarely are vancian system, but more at-will or easy and fast to be reloaded.

* I guess WotC will take note about what sourcebooks with new classes are the best sold in DM Guild.

* WotC is who has to say about we have got enough crunch or more sourcebooks can be published, and now most of the 5th Ed titles by WotC are modules.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
BUT they are also taking weapon damage from the attack. You are allowing 1 roll to work as 2. That is why it would seem OP to me. I would certainly keep it in mind when play testing. Is the spell expended even if the attack misses?

LOL, I should just go review the feature... ;)

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
BUT they are also taking weapon damage from the attack. You are allowing 1 roll to work as 2. That is why it would seem OP to me. I would certainly keep it in mind when play testing. Is the spell expended even if the attack misses?

True, but you do have to cast the spell first, and it requires an action to do so. So in terms of action economy, you haven’t gained anything.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
True, but you do have to cast the spell first, and it requires an action to do so. So in terms of action economy, you haven’t gained anything.
I know that. But you are denying the target a saving throw and IIRC you have 10 rounds to deliver the spell. A monster with a low AC but decent saves would more likely be affected by your spells. Also, depending on the spell, if it is superior in damage to your attack, the action economy isn't really a sacrifice IMO.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
They are taking the weapon damage as well, but up until level 11 they have to use their action to gain that benefit. They're adding the attack to the other one, but initially have to give up basically 2 turns to do that.
Or the whole class, if you have the time. I'm currently working on revising a lot of it.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Or the whole class, if you have the time. I'm currently working on revising a lot of it.
I probably will Sunday during the football games. :)

Off-hand, just looking back through the spells quickly, something like Hold Person is a good example.

You cast Hold Person just before ambushing your enemies or busting down the door to a BBEG.
You hit. BAM! Auto-failed Hold Person and the target is helpless until the end of its next turn when (maybe) it will be free.
If you have any remaining attacks (which you would if you can cast Hold Person), they are now auto-crits. Any of your allies melee attacks are auto-crits.

Combine this with smites or sneak attack damage and oh boy!

That is why I think it is too strong as is. Just imposing disadvantage on the attack is powerful enough IMO. So, I hope you will definitely think it over more.

Remove ads