• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Smudges - All Core books

Boregar

First Post
Yup, this happened to me too.

But it was particularly warm here yesterday when I was first reading them, so maybe my fingers were just sweating a bit more than normal.

Lord Xtheth

First Post
I noticed this with KoTS, and thought nothing of it.

However if I do see it happening when my 4E books show up I'll be quite upset.

My problem was pretty annoying. Approximately 4 pages where not cut, so that (around the Adventuring chapter), I couldn't open the page there. I had to cut off the edges manually. I have yet to contact my retailer or WotC to ask if I can get a replacement or refund or something. (I don't want to give my book away without knowing when I can get it back!)

thc1967

Explorer
Xfer83 said:
I was using my thumb as a bookmark while watching TV for about 15-20 mins and I managed to smudge up a line or three of text.

If you pour water on it, it will probably smear and smudge too. Human skin secretes enough oils in 15-20 minutes to smudge the best printed products.

I haven't experienced this problem, but I don't typically keep my fingers on pages while I have the books open. None of my books has any defects at all. I'm very happy with the quality.

Beastman

First Post
Same here: text smudges (but not the graphics as of yet)

In addition the pages are wavy (resulting in the PHB not closing anymore when lying on the ground - have to pack other books on it and hopefully this will be resolved tomorrow).

I'm disappointed with the quality (and never had problems with my 3.5 books, despite WotC saying 4th and 3.5 books are the same qialiuy/material and also denying that there are problems with the books - just read their forum entries...)

hamishspence

Adventurer
Smudging

Not yet, i have been careful not to touch the text. Pages are a little wavy (slip case partially rectifies this by keeping the books compressed) and some pages have tiny creases in corners (were there when page first opened.)

My KOTS has fingerprints on outside, but thankfully I noticed in time and the text has not got any problems.

helium3

First Post
thc1967 said:
If you pour water on it, it will probably smear and smudge too. Human skin secretes enough oils in 15-20 minutes to smudge the best printed products.

I've noticed it in all three books. Noticed it with the DMG first. It's not as much of a problem if you've just washed your hands, so I suspect it's the oils in the skin that are the culprit.

Also, I've had my copies of the 3.5 core books for a couple of years now, and while I'm sure it's possible to smudge the text I have never noticed it to the degree with which I IMMEDIATELY noticed it with the 4E books.

What I'm curious about is if this is a problem with the inks chosen or the production process.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads