D&D 5E Sniper Rogue?

Panfilo

Existential Risk
Any version of full ranged reaction attacks would have to reckon with the Sneak Attack ruling. Since SA is once per anyone’s turn, you’d either have to overrule it or majorly restrict the new feature itself.

15% crit chance goes to 30%.

He does miss occasionally not often eg 3 3's on the dice. Or he has to move using bonus action due to lack of range of the hand crossbow.
Why would he use a hand crossbow?

For Elven accuracy, sharpshooter and crossbow master he would need to be an Elf, and at least 10th level (Rogue 4/ Fighter 6).

Plus he's using his bonus action most rounds to Aim (or Hide) so the Bonus action extra attack likely never comes in that handy.

As an Elf (and a Fighter) he's proficient in the Longbow.

Probably less damage overall but more fun with extra crits. Plus action surge.

At level 5 extra attack which offsets most if the lost 3d6 sneak attack.
By that stage you're looking at Reliable talent as a Rogue, which is amazing.
Builds not that impressive because if the two clerics doing cleric things.

Shouldnt matter if you're enforcing standard adventuring days on them.

From memory, you dont though.

Zardnaar

Legend
Why would he use a hand crossbow?

For Elven accuracy, sharpshooter and crossbow master he would need to be an Elf, and at least 10th level (Rogue 4/ Fighter 6).

Plus he's using his bonus action most rounds to Aim (or Hide) so the Bonus action extra attack likely never comes in that handy.

As an Elf (and a Fighter) he's proficient in the Longbow.

By that stage you're looking at Reliable talent as a Rogue, which is amazing.

Shouldnt matter if you're enforcing standard adventuring days on them.

From memory, you dont though.

Drow elf that's why hand crossbow in the under dark.

Doesn't have sharpshooter.

Encounters vary from 1-6. Even if I enforced it the clerics have enough resources to carry through anyway and I design tougher encounters.

Drow elf that's why hand crossbow in the under dark.

Doesn't have sharpshooter.
He took crossbow expert? He's using his bonus action for Aim.

That sounds... like a poor choice. He's proficient in longbows due to being a Fighter. Better range, so no disadvantage for a longer distance.
Encounters vary from 1-6. Even if I enforced it the clerics have enough resources to carry through anyway and I design tougher encounters.

I doubt that.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
With Tasha's all rogue are snipers. No need to make a subclass what the base class already covers.

Zardnaar

Legend
He took crossbow expert? He's using his bonus action for Aim.

That sounds... like a poor choice. He's proficient in longbows due to being a Fighter. Better range, so no disadvantage for a longer distance.

I doubt that.

Can't get the ammo for the longbow. He hasn't visited a market for months. They're essentially camping in caves.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I love the idea of a gunner rogue. The deepwood idea I don’t think it’s conceptually different enough from the scout for my taste. What about if the Gunner got a choice of fighting styles at 3rd level though? Sniper to ignore long range penalty with muskets (or two-handed firearms if you want to make it compatible with modern and scifi firearms and/or homebrew firearms) and dragoon to ignore melee range penalty and loading property with pistols (or one-handed firearms)?
I like those!
Any version of full ranged reaction attacks would have to reckon with the Sneak Attack ruling. Since SA is once per anyone’s turn, you’d either have to overrule it or majorly restrict the new feature itself.
The Sneak Attack rule, yeah. That’s the point. Just like if the Swashbuckler was really supposed to be a duelist it would have a parry-riposte ability for reaction.
With Tasha's all rogue are snipers. No need to make a subclass what the base class already covers.
Hard disagree. All rogues are accurate. That doesn’t make them a sniper.

Zardnaar

Legend
I like those!

The Sneak Attack rule, yeah. That’s the point. Just like if the Swashbuckler was really supposed to be a duelist it would have a parry-riposte ability for reaction.

Hard disagree. All rogues are accurate. That doesn’t make them a sniper.

It supports the sniper playstyle more. Melee has to move around more negating the Tasha ability.

A non Drow elf packing a longbow with elven accuracy great sniper with Tasha's.

Non elf use a shortbow.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It supports the sniper playstyle more. Melee has to move around more negating the Tasha ability.

A non Drow elf packing a longbow with elven accuracy great sniper with Tasha's.

Non elf use a shortbow.
Sure, it’s more of a boon to ranged rogues, but it’s really more of a fix for those times where there is no terrain to hide in or your DM is being recalcitrant about giving advantage with trickery and tactics (skill checks).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases