Spelljammin' (5e PBP OOC) (Full)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I think I have updated Charlie to the new Warlock. Let's see how he works now. Not being able to cast 3rd level spells is going to hurt.
NINE cantrips. o_O And yeah, I think the biggest hurt in converting a Warlock is the loss of higher level slots. With all the RAGE, we can't expect this one to score very high. I'm fascinated to see what happens in the end, though!

NINE cantrips. o_O And yeah, I think the biggest hurt in converting a Warlock is the loss of higher level slots. With all the RAGE, we can't expect this one to score very high. I'm fascinated to see what happens in the end, though!

Yeah, I get 3 from warlock plus Eldritch Blast and Book of Shadows. I get 2 from the Book of Shadows and I took Magic Initiate which gives me 2 more.

I need to re-read book of shadows but I believe that any ritual in the book gets added as a prepared spell to your list which is a boost from the old one. The old one only allowed you to cast them as rituals the new one does not seem to have that restriction.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Overall I do like where they are going. I just think the Spellcasting doesn't hit the mark.
Yeah, I think they did some good work on the Pacts & Invocations, but the half-caster chassis isn't a good fit, and is too different for those that like the Warlock. I'm not sure what they can do to fix the over-reliance on a short rest without upending the applecart, though.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Yeah, I think they did some good work on the Pacts & Invocations, but the half-caster chassis isn't a good fit, and is too different for those that like the Warlock. I'm not sure what they can do to fix the over-reliance on a short rest without upending the applecart, though.
I really like that you can now take a few levels as a Tome lock and still be an effective wizard. Heck, you can have 2 familiars through the spell and cantrip, and only be down 1 spell level if you take 3 tomelock levels. Also, the nerf to the higher spell slots isn't as bad if you go all in on Mystic Arcana as a single class warlock. It really gives the class a huge amount of flexibility. Sure the short rest nerf hurts, but it removes the tension of always pushing the party to short rest. I personally really like it. It still makes the warlock a terrific dip, but I don't think people will want to only take 1 level.
Cheers,

SG

I really like that you can now take a few levels as a Tome lock and still be an effective wizard. Heck, you can have 2 familiars through the spell and cantrip, and only be down 1 spell level if you take 3 tomelock levels. Also, the nerf to the higher spell slots isn't as bad if you go all in on Mystic Arcana as a single class warlock. It really gives the class a huge amount of flexibility. Sure the short rest nerf hurts, but it removes the tension of always pushing the party to short rest. I personally really like it. It still makes the warlock a terrific dip, but I don't think people will want to only take 1 level.
Cheers,

SG

I keep seeing people say you can get the other Boon cantrips as a Tomelock but I don't think that is possible. Per the Tome cantrip you can only add cantrips from the Arcane, Divine, and Primal spell lists. The Boon cantrips are not on any of those lists.

I really want to play test this build. My gut says that the 1/2 caster change might be to much of a nerf but it could be fine with the mystic arcanum and other changes.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
I keep seeing people say you can get the other Boon cantrips as a Tomelock but I don't think that is possible. Per the Tome cantrip you can only add cantrips from the Arcane, Divine, and Primal spell lists. The Boon cantrips are not on any of those lists.

I really want to play test this build. My gut says that the 1/2 caster change might be to much of a nerf but it could be fine with the mystic arcanum and other changes.
Yeah, I agree that the way it is written, you can only get one boon cantrip, which is fine because they are quite strong and it's obvious that they are a defining class characteristic. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see in the future a new invocation at a higher level that allows you to pick an extra boon (say at level 7 or 9).

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm never able to tell if I like or dislike game mechanics (barring really obviously terrible ones, like the part about Druids not being able to be Tiny until level 11 and having WIS for their STR score WHILE Tiny - THAT stuff stood out as stupid, the rest of the new Wildshape, for example, was less clear without playtesting). The Warlock? I have no idea yet, other than that I tend to assume that if enough Warlock players are complaining (as they are, and as the Druid players did) than it probably doesn't matter what I think. It's going to need fixing.

While I don't think that the game should be designed by committee, I DO think that it needs to please a safe majority of fans. They will have to go back to the drawing board on the Warlock, regardless of what we think after trying it.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I think I'm going to rebuild Glau as a playtest berserker, to give it a fair shake (though as a small barbarian, I would still need to go the two-weapon fighting route)

The improvised weapon barbarian was cool, while it lasted.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I think I'm going to rebuild Glau as a playtest berserker, to give it a fair shake (though as a small barbarian, I would still need to go the two-weapon fighting route)

The improvised weapon barbarian was cool, while it lasted.
I guess he could wield two cutlasses (with the stats of scimitars using STR) and still be on-brand.

Remove ads