Spelljammin' (5e PBP OOC) (Full)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Hey @FitzTheRuke,

Since we're likely getting ready for a fight, I was reviewing my character sheet and noticed that I'm missing a cantrip and a first level choice for feytouched. I've put silvery barbs and thornwhip as the choices. Also, in reviewing the cantrips, I've swapped firebolt for message. Since the character hasn't used those, I figured it would be fine.
Cheers,

SG

@FitzTheRuke So the new playtest packet just dropped and some of the changes to the warlock are interesting. I like some of it but others really mess up my concept and build. Specifically the Book of Shadows not allowing for Charisma as the spellcasting stat. I'm going to rebuild Charlie using the playtest and see what it looks like.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
@FitzTheRuke So the new playtest packet just dropped and some of the changes to the warlock are interesting. I like some of it but others really mess up my concept and build. Specifically the Book of Shadows not allowing for Charisma as the spellcasting stat. I'm going to rebuild Charlie using the playtest and see what it looks like.
Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see.

EVERYONE: If you WANT to rebuild your character for this game with playtest material, feel free to do so. If you'd rather just keep it as it is, that's fine too. We're playtesting on a voluntary basis, so don't worry about it if you don't have time (or desire) to mess with things. If you DO want to, then I encourage it, as I'd like to see as much playtest stuff as possible in play, but there's no pressure.

I also notice that Book of Shadows is pretty pointless now. From my reading it only gives you two cantrips and two 1st level rituals. It doesn't say anything about being able to add more rituals to the book. That is a pretty big change.

@FitzTheRuke I am going over the playtest worlock and trying to convert my PC. A couple questions. If I take Pact of the Tome can I still use Charisma as my casting ability. Can I add more rituals to my Book of Shadows or is it only the 2 noted in the packet?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
@FitzTheRuke I am going over the playtest worlock and trying to convert my PC. A couple questions. If I take Pact of the Tome can I still use Charisma as my casting ability. Can I add more rituals to my Book of Shadows or is it only the 2 noted in the packet?

Uh. Yes to the former, and a tentative yes on the second. I'll have a closer look and see if I want to renege on any of that. You should be good, though! At least you're willing to give it a shot!

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Haha! They nerfed Glau. :ROFLMAO:

The Nick property ate the Light Weapon property, and clubs can't be used for free off-hand attacks anymore.
And as a bit of an indirect nerf, none of Glau's natural weapons or Unarmed strikes have any weapon properties associated with them.

The dream of the unarmed barroom brawler barbarian has been signifcantly curbed.

Though I did notice a more potent problem with the playtest barbarian, that's going into a thread of it's own.

I think I have updated Charlie to the new Warlock. Let's see how he works now. Not being able to cast 3rd level spells is going to hurt.

Name: Charlie Cook
Race: Male Human
Background: Sailor
Class: Fathomless Warlock 5
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Proficiency Bonus: +3
Inspiration: No
Spent HD: none

Passive Perception: 9
Initiative: +2
AC: 15

Strength:10 (+0)
Athlethics: +0​

Dexterity:15 (+2)
+Acrobatics: +5
Sleight of Hand: +2
+Stealth: +5​

Constitution: 14 (+2)

Charisma:18 (+4)
+Deception: +7
Intimidation: +4
Performance: +4
+Persuasion: +7​
Speed: 30 ft, 40 ft Swim
Hit Dice: 5 d8+2
HP: 36/36

Intelligence:12 (+1)
+Arcana: +4
History: +1
Nature: +1
Investigation: +1
Religion: +1​

Wisdom:8 (-1)
Animal Handling: -1
Insight: -1
Medicine: -1
Perception: -1
Survival: -1​

+Proficient
*Expertise

OFFENSE
Initiative: +2

Weapon
Dagger
Eldritch Blast
Range
Melee
120 ft
To Hit
+5
+7
Damage
1d4+2 (p)
2x1d10+4
Notes
Finesse, Light, Thrown (20/60)
Ranged spell attack
DEFENSE AC: 15
Strength: +0
Intelligence: +1
Dexterity: +2
+Wisdom: +2
Constitution: +2
+Charisma: +6

Proficiencies and Languages
Languages: Common, Primodial​
Weapons: Simple​
Armor: Light, Medium​
Tools: Navigator’s Tools​
Race:Human​
Size: Medium;​
Resourceful: You gain Inspiration whenever you finish a Long Rest.​
Skillful: You gain Proficiency in one Skill of your choice.​
Versatile: You gain the Skilled Feat or another 1st-level Feat of your choice.​

Background: Ship Quartermaster​
Skills: Acrobatics, Persuasion​
Background Feat: Tavern Brawler​
Class: Warlock (The Fathomless)​
Spellcasting
Delving into eldritch secrets, you have learned how to cast spells. See the Player’s Handbook for the rules on spellcasting. The information below details how you use those rules as a Warlock.​
Cantrips:
You know two cantrips of your choice from the Arcane spell list. Rather than choosing, you may start with Chill Touch and Prestidigitation. Whenever you gain a Warlock level, you can replace one of your cantrips with another Arcane cantrip of your choice. When you reach 4th and 10th level in this class, you learn another Arcane cantrip of your choice, as shown in the Cantrips column of the Warlock table.​
Spell Slots:
The Warlock table shows how many Spell Slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells, you must expend a slot of the spell’s level or higher. You regain all expended Spell Slots when you finish a Long Rest.​
Prepared Spells:
You prepare the list of spells of 1st level and higher that are available for you to cast with this feature. To start, choose two 1st-level spells from the Arcane spell list. Rather than choosing, you may start with Charm Person and Witch Bolt. The number of spells on your list increases as you gain Warlock levels, as shown in the Prepared Spells column of the Warlock table. Whenever that number increases, choose additional spells from the Arcane spell list until the number of spells on your list matches the number on the table. The chosen spells must be of a level for which you have Spell Slots. For example, if you’re a 5th-level Warlock, your list of prepared spells can include six Arcane spells of 1st or 2nd level, in any combination. If another Warlock feature gives spells that you always have prepared, those spells don’t count against the number of spells on the list you prepare with this Spellcasting feature, but those spells otherwise follow the rules in this feature.​
Changing Your Prepared Spells:
Whenever you gain a Warlock level, you can replace one spell on your list with another Arcane spell for which you have Spell Slots.​
Spellcasting Ability:
Your Pact Boon feature determines the spellcasting ability for the spells you cast with your Warlock features.​
Spellcasting Focus:
You can use an Arcane Focus as a Spellcasting Focus for the spells you cast with your Warlock features.​
Patron Spells:
Prepared Spells:
You always have certain spells ready; when you reach a Warlock level specified in the Fiend Spells table, you thereafter always have the listed spells prepared.​
Free Casting:
You can cast one of your prepared spells from this feature without expending a Spell Slot, and you must finish a Long Rest before you use this benefit again.​
Fathonless Spells:
Warlock Level Spells​
3rd Create or Destroy Water, Thunderwave​
5th Gust of Wind, Silence​
9th Lightning Bolt, Sleet Storm​
13th Control Water, Summon Elemental​
17th Bigby's Hand (appears as a tentacle), Cone of Cold​
Gift of the Sea:
I have a swimming speed of 40 ft and I can breathe underwater​
Tentacle of the Deeps: [1d8, Proficiency Bonus per long rest]​
As a bonus action, I can summon or move a spectral tentacle and make an attack with it​
I can summon it to a space within 60 ft that I can see or move an existing one 30 ft​
I make melee spell attacks with 10 ft reach with it that deal cold or lightning damage​
Creatures hit by the tentacle suffer 10 ft speed reduction until the start of my next turn​
The 10-ft long tentacle lasts for 1 minute or until I summon another​
Eldritch Invocations:[3 invocations known]​
Repelling Blast:
Whenever you hit a creature that is Large or smaller with Eldritch Blast, you can push that creature horizontally up to 10 feet straight away from you.​
Mystic Arcanum:
Your explorations of the arcane have unlocked magic within you. Choose one spell from the Arcane spell list that has a level for which you qualify, as shown on the Mystic Arcanum table. Look for your Warlock level on the table to see the maximum level that the spell can have. You can cast the chosen spell once without expending a Spell Slot, and you must finish a Long Rest before you can do so again.​
Eldritch Sight:
I can cast Detect Magic at will, without using a spell slot​
Eldritch Versatility:
Whenever I gain an ASI from the warlock class, I can change one of the following things:​
• I can replace one warlock cantrip with another cantrip from the warlock spell list​
• I can replace my pact boon for another​
• If I have Mystic Arcanum, I can replace one spell from it with another of the same level​
Pact of the Tome:
I have a Book of Shadows with any two cantrips of my choosing​
I can cast these cantrips as long as I have the book on my person​
Regardless of the lists they come from, these count as warlock cantrips to me​
I can get a replacement book with a 1-hour ceremony during a short or long rest​
Feats:
Tavern Brawler:
Accustomed to brawling, you gain the following​
benefits:​
Enhanced Unarmed Strike: When you hit with your Unarmed Strike* and deal damage, you can deal Bludgeoning Damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier, instead of the normal damage of an Unarmed Strike.​
Damage Rerolls: Whenever you roll a damage die for your Unarmed Strike, you can reroll the die if it rolls a 1, and you must use the new roll.​
Shove: When you hit a creature with an Unarmed Strike as part of the Attack Action on your turn, you can deal damage to the target and also push it 5 feet away. You can use this benefit only once per turn.​
Furniture as Weapons: You can wield furniture as a Weapon, using the rules of the Greatclub for Small or Medium furniture and the rules of the Club for Tiny furniture.​
Magic Initiate (Arcane):
You have learned the basics of a particular magical tradition. Choose one Spell list: Arcane,* Divine,* or Primal.* You gain the following​
benefits related to that choice:​
Two Cantrips: You learn two cantrips of your choice from the Spell list.​
1st-Level Spell Choose one 1st-level Spell from the Spell list. You always have that Spell prepared. You can cast it once without a Spell Slot, and you regain the ability to cast it in that way when you finish a Long Rest.* You can also cast the Spell using any Spell Slots you have.​
Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these Spells (choose when you select this Feat). Consult the Player’s Handbook for the rules on spellcasting.​
Whenever you gain a new level, you can replace one of the Spells you chose for this Feat with a different Spell of the same level from the chosen Spell list.​
Warlock Spells: 4/2/-​
Save DC: 15​
Spell Attack: +7​
Cantrips: Eldritch Blast, Message, Mind Sliver, Shape Water, Prestidigitation, Shocking Grasp, Dancing Lights, Mage Hand, Book of Shadows​
Prepared:
1st: Mage Armor, Hex, Create or Destroy Water, Thunderwave, Shield, Charm Person, Comprehend Languages (R Only), Find Familiar (R Only), Purify Food and Drink (R Only), Identify (R Only), Alarm (R Only)​
2nd: Gust of Wind, Silence, Invisibility, Misty Step, Suggestion, Shatter​
3rd: Lightning Bolt​
Flying Monkey​
Small beast, unaligned​
Armor Class 12​
Hit Points 3 (1d6)​
Speed 20 ft., climb 20 ft., fly 30 ft.​
STR 8 (−1) DEX 14 (+2) CON 11 (+0)​
INT 5 (−3) WIS 12 (+1) CHA 6 (-2)​
Senses passive Perception 11​
Languages —​
Challenge 0 (10 XP)​
Pack Tactics. The flying monkey has advantage on an attack roll against a creature if at least one of the monkey's allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.​
Actions​
Bite. Melee weapon attack: +1 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 (1d4 − 1) piercing damage.​
Equipment Weight:​
Dagger x 4​
Fishing Tackle​
Navigator’s Tools​
Traveler’s Clothes​
Backpack, with:​
  • Crowbar
  • Hammer
  • Pitons
  • Tinderbox
  • Torches x 10
  • Rations 10 Days