• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Trek: Enterprise -[Spoiler Talk]- Stardate:509240

Longshadow

First Post
I liked the historical tidbits a lot. I also liked the stuff the writer (Sussman) said in an interview about what was on the entry on the computer's screen but that didn't make it in the script for an actor to read -- Archer dies at home, peacefully and of old age, the day after attending the first launch of the NCC-1701; Hoshi and her husband were eventually settlers on Tarsus IV, and were among the 1/2 the population that Kodos had killed to keep the other half (including a very young Jim Kirk) alive. I loved the history links game. That's why I think season four has been SO much better than 1-3, that Manny Coto went back and starting mining those links for all they were worth (Eugenics leftovers, Soong, Vulcan reawakening to Surak, Klingon morphological differences, etc). B&B's aversion to using the history in an HISTORICAL series always baffled me.

Longshadow said:
That's why I think season four has been SO much better than 1-3, that Manny Coto went back and starting mining those links for all they were worth (Eugenics leftovers, Soong, Vulcan reawakening to Surak, Klingon morphological differences, etc). B&B's aversion to using the history in an HISTORICAL series always baffled me.
Season 4 was by far the best season, because it remembered it was the past of Star Trek, not just another sci-fi show that shared the name and common elements of Star Trek, but with slightly lower technology (when it's convenient to do so). To be honest, it's the only season I intend to buy on DVD when it comes out, because it's the only one that realky feels like Old Star Trek instead of New Star Trek in retro clothing: Tellarites, Babel, Tholians, enigmatic Romulans and Gorn instead of what we had in prior seasons: Borg, Nausicaans, Big-Ridged Klingons and Ferengi.

Given the canonical (or at least semi-canonical) nature of the computer displays in Star Trek, I guess we now have the fates of some of the Enterprise crew, and the Tarsus IV bit was a nice touch to old continuity.

Orius

Legend
Torm said:
Yep, except I see that last one more like this:

- Mirror O'Brien & co. join the group that had been the rebellion against the Empire, now refocused to rebel against the Cardassians, builds copy of DS9 Defiant, in part because its a small tough ship, but also because the schematics T'Pol sent the rebellion for the old Defiant played a pivotal role and have made the name "Defiant" take on special significance to the rebels. ;)

I do find it interesting that the mirror univirse has now benefitted from two normal universe Defiants. And remember, it's not just the Cardassians, but the Klingons as well. In fact, I think the Klingons are probably more importants that the Cardassians in that alliance. And Worf as the evil regent of the Cardassian/Klingon alliance was as fun as the coldly evil mirror Spock.

Orius

Legend
myrdden said:
It was a good enough episode. Typical Trek though - good first part, followed by weaker second part.

I'm not sure if I like the Defiant staying in the mirror-verse however. Seems too far of a stretch that the TOS crew would encounter an Empire that was at an equivalent level of tech - even though they have had access to the more advanced tech for about a centuary.

No biggie though - it was at least fun to watch. Especially the old-constitution class. That was cool...

The mirror universe doesn't really make much sense when examined close up anyway. I mean what's the chance that both the USS Enterprise and ISS Enterprise would both be trying to get dilithium from the Halkons at exactly the same time for a convienient transporter accident to occur and allow a universe switch? Or that almost all the main DS9 chracters (except Jake) would exist in the mirror universe given that the two univierses would almost certainly diverge in the century separating the two episodes? The mirror episodes have always been a sort of fun diversion from normal episodes, and I think the same thing is true here.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Orius said:
The mirror universe doesn't really make much sense when examined close up anyway. I mean what's the chance that both the USS Enterprise and ISS Enterprise would both be trying to get dilithium from the Halkons at exactly the same time for a convienient transporter accident to occur and allow a universe switch? Or that almost all the main DS9 chracters (except Jake) would exist in the mirror universe given that the two univierses would almost certainly diverge in the century separating the two episodes? The mirror episodes have always been a sort of fun diversion from normal episodes, and I think the same thing is true here.

And the fact, with the assassination rate in the mirror universe, that the whole group of characters would even be intact... is amazing.

John Crichton

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
If I'm not mistaken, they're talking about the basis for the Universal Translator, the device that makes every other Star Trek series possible. :)

I'd say that, alone, makes her an integral part of Federation history.
Dude. She didn't invent it, she WAS the first Universal Translator. ;)

Oh wait...

Particle_Man

Explorer
That's how I think of it. If there are infinite universes, there will be two that resemble each other in a "mirror" kinda way for a while. And given ST weirdness, maybe the "walls" between two "close in a mirror kinda way" universes occasionally get eroded, in a parody of superstring theory. :)

Remove ads