Star Trek: Enterprise -[Spoiler Talk]- Stardate:501540

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
mojo1701 said:
Just caught the rerun. Then braved 30 min of a Simpsons episode just so I didn't have to leave my couch before Season Finale of Arrested Development. THAT was pure comedic genious.

It was a fun episode, although I thought that the women WERE the slaves. I mean, in the Cage, during the Orion Dancer fantasy, and in ENT episode "Borderland," it was the women who were being sold.

LOL...now we know why, that the Orion Syndicate never, ever, settled with an agreement with the Federation, not even in the current time line. Those women are the TRUE pirates of space.:)

Tom Cashel

First Post
Hated this episode, and I've been a pretty strong proponent of the series all along.

Leave it to Enterprise to return from hiatus with an episode that makes you glad they cancelled it...sheesh.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Tom Cashel said:
Hated this episode, and I've been a pretty strong proponent of the series all along.

Leave it to Enterprise to return from hiatus with an episode that makes you glad they cancelled it...sheesh.

Hey, it was made *the esp* before the announcement...yes:( , it is a bitter pill to watch. But after that, all things Paramount, NBC, and that other company, will be on my blacklist. After this run is finished.

mojo1701

First Post
myrdden said:
Whoops...didn't know there was a new episode this week.

Why is Trip still on board?

[sblock]He put in a transfer back to Enterprise, and resolved his... relationship with T'Pol.[/sblock]

James Heard said:
It only reinforces my view that Enterprise should have dealt with Orions-Klingons-Vulcans-Andorians rather than temporal cold sores and genocidal whatevers the whole time. Oh yes, and Manny Coto should have been in charge the whole time too.
I'll agree with that. Trek had a big implied backstory of a handful of races that should have been around in the "Enterprise" era. Vulcans, Andorians, Tellarites, Orions, Klingons, Romulans (but treated carefully). They've touched on all of them, and the Vulcan/Andorian recurring plot has been a nice touch, but if they'd ditched the TCW and the whole Xindi nonsense and done more with the Vulcan Renaissance, the Vulcan/Andorian/Tellarite relations, subtle tensions and manipulations between the Vulcans and Romulans, the brewing cold war with the Klingons, and do more with the slow Earth freighters and the space pirates attacking them (using Nausicaans though was a nice continuity touch, instead of inventing new pirates).

It was off to a bad sign when one of the only two aliens on board NX-01 was a member of a never-before-seen race, so in 24 seasons of series that take place later and 10 movies we never see a Denobulan, but apparently they are very old allies of Earth who were one of the first races they dealt with.

Manny Coto did good work for Enterprise, and I think he may well have salvaged it in many fans eyes, if not in the ratings. However, remember that the Original Trek was cancelled after a few seasons, and became big in syndication. If Enterprise is allowed to be syndicated (instead of having all the replay rights being sold off to Spike TV or something) so it'll appear all over the dial it may get something of a revival. It's happened before :)

Eternalknight

First Post
Tom Cashel said:

Reasons?

Red Spire Press

First Post
I managed to watch about 20 minutes before the cheese overflow washed me out of the room. I'd rate this episode as Unbearably Bad. Looking forward to the mirror episodes though!

Greylock

First Post
Tom Cashel said:

C'mon....it wasn't that bad. I liked part, disliked part. The show was fairly predictable. I for one was waiting for the crew to come to their senses for most of the episode. Frustrating that, when you see through a plot and have to wait for the show to catch up. Made me get up several times as I found it annoying to watch.

But...the last bit of the show went very well. It picked up the pace and got fairly exciting. And although I wasn't at the least interested in the "alluring" nature of the Orian women, the last bit with T'pau and Trip was nice. You see it coming, but you've seen it coming for so long that it was a relief and pleasure to see it happen.

James Heard

Explorer
wingsandsword said:
I'll agree with that. Trek had a big implied backstory of a handful of races that should have been around in the "Enterprise" era. Vulcans, Andorians, Tellarites, Orions, Klingons, Romulans (but treated carefully). They've touched on all of them, and the Vulcan/Andorian recurring plot has been a nice touch, but if they'd ditched the TCW and the whole Xindi nonsense and done more with the Vulcan Renaissance, the Vulcan/Andorian/Tellarite relations, subtle tensions and manipulations between the Vulcans and Romulans, the brewing cold war with the Klingons, and do more with the slow Earth freighters and the space pirates attacking them (using Nausicaans though was a nice continuity touch, instead of inventing new pirates).

It's like they just went, "Oh no, we've told that story before!" and then went along to blithely pretend that TOS never occurred in the first place more often than not. I mean, I'm pretty tired of Klingons actually but they'd have had made a lot of sense to have played an ever more pronounced role in Enterprise. Kirk HATED them, after all - wouldn't have they been a better plot entry than the Xindi for killing a bunch of humans?

wingsandsword said:
It was off to a bad sign when one of the only two aliens on board NX-01 was a member of a never-before-seen race, so in 24 seasons of series that take place later and 10 movies we never see a Denobulan, but apparently they are very old allies of Earth who were one of the first races they dealt with.

It would have made a lot more sense if they'd introduced the race, then WHAM! genocidal plot device. Not only would the Doctor become more interesting, if they'd made it a disaster resultant from a lack of diplomacy they'd have had more of an internal logic going on.

wingsandsword said:
Manny Coto did good work for Enterprise, and I think he may well have salvaged it in many fans eyes, if not in the ratings. However, remember that the Original Trek was cancelled after a few seasons, and became big in syndication. If Enterprise is allowed to be syndicated (instead of having all the replay rights being sold off to Spike TV or something) so it'll appear all over the dial it may get something of a revival. It's happened before :)

I don't think it's got the legs under it honestly. I've enjoyed watching some of the Enterprise episodes, but for reruns I'd almost rather watch Highlander: The Series or something now. Speaking of which, I'm still thinking that perhaps the best option for future Star Trek properties would be to do a comic book style restart, build the Bible from the ground up using the best and most logical and interesting bits of all the series, then cross your fingers and pray to the Vulcan mind-meld that you could recast Kirk without sucking.

Heh. Maybe the next movie needs Peter Jackson in the director's chair with a totally free hand, a blank check, and Manny Coto writing/consulting.

Last edited:

Remove ads