Star Trek: Enterprise -[Spoiler Talk]- Stardate:501540

John Crichton

First Post
This ep had "nudge nudge, wink wink" all over it. It actually felt like a bit of a throwback. A little titillation, throw in some danger and a twist and you have a classic TOS ep that is forgotten very quickly after watching it. But ya know what? It was fun! :)

It wasn't trying to be anything more than that: fun. For that, I am impressed and was entertained. Not all sci-fi has to be high drama or advance some kind of plot. There are popcorn movies, well this was popcorn TV.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
John Crichton said:
This ep had "nudge nudge, wink wink" all over it. It actually felt like a bit of a throwback. A little titillation, throw in some danger and a twist and you have a classic TOS ep that is forgotten very quickly after watching it. But ya know what? It was fun! :)

It wasn't trying to be anything more than that: fun. For that, I am impressed and was entertained. Not all sci-fi has to be high drama or advance some kind of plot. There are popcorn movies, well this was popcorn TV.

YO!! Where have you been??

speaking of Klingons, didn't Picard, in one episode from TNG, say that a disastrous first contact with the Klingons lead to war? Sure didn't happen in Ent....

TV Guide for this week has an article on ENT, and makes a brief note about the next planned ST movie, saying that it will deal with something 'big' between the time of Ent and TOS... what's the story on that?

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
David Howery said:
speaking of Klingons, didn't Picard, in one episode from TNG, say that a disastrous first contact with the Klingons lead to war? Sure didn't happen in Ent....

TV Guide for this week has an article on ENT, and makes a brief note about the next planned ST movie, saying that it will deal with something 'big' between the time of Ent and TOS... what's the story on that?
Read the Sci fi News section...that idea is kaput:(

Orius

Legend
Truth Seeker said:
Did anyone catch the 'dragon-type' reference of flying winged reptiles of ya...100 to 300 meters in length, and breathes...FIRE!!!:D

Damn, I forgot about that. I think T'Pol was pulling their legs on that one.

Looking past all that...believe it or not...my television watchers....but as a friend said last night, watching it by phone conversation. We witness the original Drow setting.

"We are both slaves...to the situation":lol: And he was right...thanks Rodenberry!!!

The only problem with that is that using Orions as inspiration would likely only increase the concept of female drow as hotties. Not really an angle I like, but some people like it.

David Howery said:
Think back to the first episode. In Broken Bow, Oklahoma, where a Klingon courier had crashed on Earth and was fleeing Suliban pursuit through the farm. When the Klingon encounters a human for the first time, there was a language barrier, and the rural farmer responded by shooting the Klingon.

The first documented Human/Klingon first contact began with a Human shooting a Klingon.
When the courier was returned to the High Council at the end, it wasn't subtitled but apparently some very bad things were said to Archer et al by the Klingons there.

First contact didn't lead directly to war, but it certainly didn't start off on a good footing and it just went downhill from there.

mojo1701

First Post
wingsandsword said:
Think back to the first episode. In Broken Bow, Oklahoma, where a Klingon courier had crashed on Earth and was fleeing Suliban pursuit through the farm. When the Klingon encounters a human for the first time, there was a language barrier, and the rural farmer responded by shooting the Klingon.

Ahh, redneck Farmer Moore...

Orius

Legend
wingsandsword said:

Can't really blame te farmer though — this Klingon was armed, looked dangerous, and had just blown up the guy's methane silo. And while the Klingon does try to talk the farmer out of shooting him first, Klingons tend to speak rather aggresively, and the farmer probably thought he was being threatened (of course, this was a Klingon so maybe he was being threatened; it wasn't subtitled IIRC). It's not realy surprising the farmer decided to shoot first and ask questions later.

The first documented Human/Klingon first contact began with a Human shooting a Klingon. When the courier was returned to the High Council at the end, it wasn't subtitled but apparently some very bad things were said to Archer et al by the Klingons there.

Yes, Archer turns to Hoshi, asks her what the said and she tells him, "You don't want to know."

Wolf72

Explorer
doh! ... spring break started for us the end of last week and I missed this episode ... need to call mom and see if she taped it.

Remove ads