Star Trek Picard SPOILERS thread

Hussar

Legend
Typical "don't know who you can trust" scenario.

Well, here is my prediction. The good doctor is actually dead. In her place, the Romulan agent (whose name I forget) has now inserted herself into the group. My reasoning is this:

1. Where did the doctor come from so conveniently? And how did she shoot from outside with a Romulan disruptor?
2. Why were the Romulan assassins so bad at their job?
3. We already know that Romulans can be altered pretty quickly.

So, sometime later in the season, it will be gasp revealed that she is a Romulan spy! Of course, Picard will already have figured this all out and will have some cunning plan in place to catch her in the reveal.

MarkB

Legend
One rather glaring plot hole though in Ep 3. There's half a dozen very dead Romulan assassins in Picard's living room. Wouldn't the smart thing be to call some attention to the fact that there are half a dozen dead Romulan assassins in his front room and a living witness to the "Vulcan" security officer questioning that doctor with the assassins showing up shortly after?

And, frankly, what's going to happen to Picard's Romulan housekeepers when it is discovered that there are half a dozen dead Romulan assassins (I just like typing that) in the front room?

If nothing else, it's going to shine a great, big, huge, spotlight on the whole situation. It is doubtful that an investigation wouldn't turn up the fact that our "Vulcan" security officer is, in fact, Romulan.
We know that the Romulan strike team forensically sterilised the sites of their last two operations, even after losing multiple team members, so the assumption would have to be that they intend to do likewise here. Raffi already advised that they had more trouble incoming imminently, presumably the cleaners.

I'm surprised that Laris and Zhaban didn't come aboard with Picard, but I'd guess they have their own plans. Perhaps if they summon enough local law enforcement soon enough, the covert ops types will back off, especially knowing that their primary targets are gone.

Well, here is my prediction. The good doctor is actually dead. In her place, the Romulan agent (whose name I forget) has now inserted herself into the group. My reasoning is this:

1. Where did the doctor come from so conveniently? And how did she shoot from outside with a Romulan disruptor?
2. Why were the Romulan assassins so bad at their job?
3. We already know that Romulans can be altered pretty quickly.

So, sometime later in the season, it will be gasp revealed that she is a Romulan spy! Of course, Picard will already have figured this all out and will have some cunning plan in place to catch her in the reveal.
Maybe they went to the Storm Trooper Sharpshooting academy?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
One rather glaring plot hole though in Ep 3. There's half a dozen very dead Romulan assassins in Picard's living room. Wouldn't the smart thing be to call some attention to the fact that there are half a dozen dead Romulan assassins in his front room and a living witness to the "Vulcan" security officer questioning that doctor with the assassins showing up shortly after?

And, frankly, what's going to happen to Picard's Romulan housekeepers when it is discovered that there are half a dozen dead Romulan assassins (I just like typing that) in the front room?

If nothing else, it's going to shine a great, big, huge, spotlight on the whole situation. It is doubtful that an investigation wouldn't turn up the fact that our "Vulcan" security officer is, in fact, Romulan.

This one got to me a bit.

Sending a Romulan hit squad against a nobody - not a huge issue - though think about how surveillance is in our day having them go in and out unnoticed is a bit much (one of the assaults was in broad daylight) - but ok (they were being assisted by Starfleet intelligence).

But sending a Romulan hit squad after Picard at his home? On the outs with starfleet or not, Picard is a prominent, popular retired Starfleet Admiral. This is a big deal. Add in dead bodies and a likely recording of one of the Romulans give an explanation of what just happened (short and evasive but still) before offing himself - and you have a major, major incident. I suspect it will just completely glossed over in favor of the space mission - but it really shouldn't.

This one got to me a bit.

Sending a Romulan hit squad against a nobody - not a huge issue - though think about how surveillance is in our day having them go in and out unnoticed is a bit much (one of the assaults was in broad daylight) - but ok (they were being assisted by Starfleet intelligence).

But sending a Romulan hit squad after Picard at his home? On the outs with starfleet or not, Picard is a prominent, popular retired Starfleet Admiral. This is a big deal. Add in dead bodies and a likely recording of one of the Romulans give an explanation of what just happened (short and evasive but still) before offing himself - and you have a major, major incident. I suspect it will just completely glossed over in favor of the space mission - but it really shouldn't.

Maybe the point is that it was so blatant. It is already established that the Romulans were not accepted by the Federation. What if the assassination of a prominent and famous retired admiral is deliberate? It is plausible (think of Star Trek VI)

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Maybe the point is that it was so blatant. It is already established that the Romulans were not accepted by the Federation. What if the assassination of a prominent and famous retired admiral is deliberate? It is plausible (think of Star Trek VI)

If that's the direction the show is going - that would certainly be interesting!

Mallus

Legend
Yeah... beat over the head is really not a thing Star Trek could dare to do...
The funny thing about Picard so far is it's actually kinda... subtle. For Star Trek, at least. The admiral who dressed down Picard when he asked for a ship (using a beautiful swear, a perfect swear) was given a much stronger argument than is usually accorded to someone opposing one of the protagonists (esp. Jean-Luc).

The Federation did try to provide aid to the Romulans. A lot of it. Until it all went up in smoke (and debris) and they decided they wouldn't do more. And the reluctance to do more is contextualized by all the other responsibilities the Federation has to its members, which is part of the unusually reasonable argument the admiral lays into Jean-Luc with.

There's more nuance to the set-up so far than I was expecting, as someone who grew up on reruns of "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield".

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It been slowly suggested now, that the reason Romulans asked for help, the evacuation was more than one planet, it looks to be they had more habit planets in their solar system.

They specifically state that there are several habitable (and inhabited) worlds in the radius that would be impacted by the supernova. That does not quite exactly mean they must be in the same solar system.

That said, in the movies they establish that there's Romulus... and Remus.

And, even if they only had one planet - moving billions of people takes a whole lot of ships. It isn't like entire civilizations are portable.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
They specifically state that there are several habitable (and inhabited) worlds in the radius that would be impacted by the supernova. That does not quite exactly mean they must be in the same solar system.

That said, in the movies they establish that there's Romulus... and Remus.

And, even if they only had one planet - moving billions of people takes a whole lot of ships. It isn't like entire civilizations are portable.
But wouldn’t the effects of a supernova would take years or decades to reach other systems? And they have warp drives. It seems like moving would be possible.

Remove ads