• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: Ch. II [OOC]

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
So, the questions now for James are:
- Are you still with us?
- And, if so, will Janis allow Tessa to try to break the lycan curse once more?

stonegod

James Heard said:
Honestly? I had sort of planned on taking the weekend to think about it. If that's taking too long then I guess I'm out.
Just need to know you're thinking about it (weekends are slow here anyway and I'll be working). It'll be unlikely I'll update the thread until Tues anyway. I would, however, appreciate a response before then.

s@squ@tch

First Post
Would it be considered metagaming if we suggested that Tessa put on the Mantle of Second Chances if/when she tries the next Remove Curse?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
s@squ@tch said:
Would it be considered metagaming if we suggested that Tessa put on the Mantle of Second Chances if/when she tries the next Remove Curse?
I wouldn't say so for the same reason why it wouldn't be if Jarrith or someone cast Guidance on Janis before she made the saving throw. Although these spells and effects exist purely for a numerical effect, in-game it's all about just "putting the stars in alignment" for whatever someone might try to do. And to help someone break a curse, any of this kind of stuff is valid tactics and not metagaming at all.

But that's neither here nor there because the issue isn't so much the saving throw itself, but rather whether James wants to keep playing the game. And for that, we'll have to wait to see what the man himself finally decides. I for one hope he decides to stay because I think Janis is an important part of the adventure and the group.

James Heard

Explorer
Hi guys,

I've decided to call it quits, probably from PbP gaming at ENWorld entirely. If I continued to run Janis I'm afraid I'd fall into the trap of making her less interesting and believable to please others in the interest of expedience. While I understand people's objections to and proponents of this though, I've come to the conclusion that while "gaming to game" is a good enough goal in itself, it's not exactly why I've decided to participate myself.

I suppose it's always been my intention in the back of my mind to create dramatic and interesting characters that would work in or out of the framework of a game. What value I'm getting out of PbP gaming isn't from having an outlet for gaming, it's from the writing itself. Obviously it's not exactly meeting the social needs of the group dynamics here at ENWorld though, something I'm much less interested in. Frankly speaking, if I were looking for more of the social aspect of gaming I'd arrange for more face to face sessions here in Florida, and I somehow lost sight of the fact that not everyone has the option and is looking for a more personal experience in their game. I miscalculated the group expectations here at ENWorld based upon my own, and for that I apologize.

I've had a lot of fun with the game for a long time, but in the end I suppose I'm really here to entertain others along with myself and if what I'm doing is less entertaining than annoying then I'd rather bow to the group consensus here at ENWorld than continually defend against it. Anyways, thanks to everyone who's made this game a great experience over the while and I hope everyone continues to have fun with it for a long time afterwards. :D

Last edited:

stonegod

Sorry to hear that, but I understand and appreciate your forthrightness. Better to let us know than fade away without a word. I have enjoyed your contributions and hope you find a outlet for your writing in the future. I might suggest perhaps doing something like a Story Hour here; there is quite a community for them. Not all are game journals, though most have a gaming spin.

I've got the big mondo paper deadline today, so nothing more from me until tomorrow.

Stormwind

First Post
I'll also be sorry to see you go James as I've enjoyed the challenge Janis has presented and the writing that has described her viewpoint on proceedings.

Good luck, and best wishes for your writing in the future :D

s@squ@tch

First Post
Sorry to see you go James -- Janis was a good foil for the more outwardly do-gooders in the party.

I'd second stonegod's suggestion about the storyhours.

Remove ads