• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Straczynski on Trek

Chun-tzu

First Post
JM Straczynski has made it known that he's very interested in doing Trek right (my words). In case you missed the link on the news page, here it is again:
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?category=0&id=30385

I'm 100% with JMS on his statement that Trek lately has been too cautious with its stories, and I like what he says in the article. JMS' work on the Spider-Man and Supreme Power comics proves to me that he knows how to add to an existing mythology, making sense of parts that don't, and changing the character in ways that make sense for the character. Also of great importance, he talks about drawing upon some of the best and brightest sci-fi writers, whereas the previous administration kept things in-house, to the detriment of the series.

I think a reboot for Trek is definitely the way to go. I'd like to see technology in Star Trek dealt with in one of two ways: either make it more realistic (i.e., true science fiction), or completely forget the explanations and downplay the techno-talk (i.e., make it more like fantasy). Frankly, Star Trek's tech and scientific explanations are typically about as realistic as Spider-Man getting powers from a radioactive arachnid. Either update the tech for modern times, or throw the tech talk out the window and just go with it.

Besides the whole tech side of things, there are aspects of Starfleet culture that just really don't work for me. A culture without any form of currency is just bizarre. I can completely understand a de-emphasis on materialism, but there still has to be currency of SOME form, especially if other cultures (like the Ferengi) use them. And in early TNG, they said headaches were practically nonexistent. Again, this is just bizarrely unrealistic. They don't have any stress in the future? They face invasions, they have family squabbles, they compete for important positions... there is just no way in the world they've "cured" headaches. I get that Roddenberry had created a certain vision of the future, but I bring it back to the super-hero analogy: today's audience is more sophisticated than the 60's TV audience, and things that seemed perfectly plausible then are not so plausible now. That doesn't mean Roddenberry's vision has to be thrown out here, just that it would be done better if painted in a more realistic light.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
He'd probably do it a load of good. Look what his show did to DS9's storytelling. They went from individual stories to story-arcs to try to compete with B5. I'd like to see his take on Classic-Era Trek.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Chun-tzu said:
JM Straczynski has made it known that he's very interested in doing Trek right (my words). .... That doesn't mean Roddenberry's vision has to be thrown out here, just that it would be done better if painted in a more realistic light.

I think JMS would do Trek a world of good. I don't trust Paramount to give him the freedom of control that he would need, though I'm not certain if they are still micromanaging idiots or not.

I think that Roddenberry's vision would need to be retained, though, to really have that Trek feel. His vision, like a lot of classicist SF, was one where we'd grown up and out of the silly petty ideas and squabbles of the 20th century. I;d like to see that vision stick around and influence another generation of fans.

Wombat

First Post
Hmmm, intriguing thoughts at least.

While I would welcome him to give a stab at this, especially given how much I disliked Trek post-DS-9, I still think the franchise needs a little "downtime", to recover if nothing else. Give it a year or two off, then if he wishes to give it a try, go for the gold!

Oh, and yes, I think the technobabble should be kept to a minimum. I felt that was one of the curses of TNG -- too much trying to explain with unobtanium and verrukten rays... ;)

LightPhoenix

First Post
While I'm sure JMS would do a good job at it, I'd rather see him persue something else. Jeremiah was great until he left. Crusade showed a lot of promise. All his comics have been well written, even if I don't particularly like them all.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Wayne Ligon sums it up. How long have they stuck with Berman now? No matter how badly he screwed up the show.

The Auld Grump, it might be time to shake the Trek Etch-a-Sketch.

Aulayan

First Post
It's over. Paramount has said they're taking a couple years off of Trek TV. And JMS Just got a new TV show offer, and since no trek thing can happen in at least a couple of years, he said yes.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
The idea of a reboot does not fascinate me. Too soon for reboot. You wait decades
for a reboot, not a couple of years. I'd like to see what JMS would do with the Trek
Universe as is.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads