• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Straczynski on Trek

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Originally Posted by Chun-tzu
A culture without any form of currency is just bizarre. I can completely understand a de-emphasis on materialism, but there still has to be currency of SOME form, especially if other cultures (like the Ferengi) use them. And in early TNG, they said headaches were practically nonexistent. Again, this is just bizarrely unrealistic. They don't have any stress in the future? They face invasions, they have family squabbles, they compete for important positions... there is just no way in the world they've "cured" headaches.

Funny. They can cure headaches but not pattern baldness? I'd say that'd be a bigger issue, for men anyway, than "mere" headaches that a simple drug can take care of..... the money bit is a bit farfetched. Especially when the later mention "credits" and "bars of latinum".

Chun-tzu

First Post
Who says they didn't cure pattern baldness? Picard shaves his head for the ladies. He was romantically linked to Beverly Crusher, Vash, Neela Darren... he did WAY better than Riker. Only Wesley (!!) trumped him, with Ashley Judd.

John Crichton

First Post
It doesn't matter now, but I don't care who they get to do a Trek series next.

As long as they can make it still feel like Trek while showing me a good time. This season of Enterprise has been the best one yet for many reasons that we are all aware of by now. This is what it should have been from the start: Us seeing the true start of the Federation. I like time-travel stuff but this one should have been a no-brainer. Give us the classic races and go nuts with it. The 3-ep arcs are fantastic. Arc-type writing is my favorite kind on TV. TOS was never like that but then again it was never my favorite of the series (even though it was actually the best).

I've read a bunch of JMS comic book material and it was pretty good. Didn't blow me out of the water but it was quality stuff. One of these days I'll get around to watching that S1 B5 DVD set sitting on my shelf...

There is so much talent out there right now in television. So many good writers who consistantly knock stories out of the park but are currently not getting much work. There is no reason why Paramount couldn't go back to the days of accepting scripts from people not currently employed by the studio.

At this point, with Enterprise dead I want Trek to take a break for a few years. Let the fans build up a strong desire for more. Sell the show to a real network or just put it back on weekends like it was with TNG & DS9. Hell, give it to *gasp* *wheeze* SFC. I never thought I'd say that. It's time to stop typing....

Jhamin

First Post
John Crichton said:
I've read a bunch of JMS comic book material and it was pretty good. Didn't blow me out of the water but it was quality stuff. One of these days I'll get around to watching that S1 B5 DVD set sitting on my shelf...

And if you want to watch that S1 B5 DVD, you have to commit to watching *all* of it. If you base your judgement off of the first 5 eps you will wonder what all the B5 fans have been smoking.
Heck, the series only gets really good in season 2. But you have to watch season one for it to make sense.

The biggest problem JMS has is how long it takes for so much of his stuff to get started. It's $%*#$ amazing once it gets going, but is often dull or painful until then.
That will kill him if ever gets a crack at Trek.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Flexor the Mighty! said:
Before I started reading JMS's Amazing Spider-Man I thought he could do no wrong. Now I know better. How could the guy who created my favorite Sci-Fi show do such a horrid job on Spider-Man?
How much did you read?

His Spider-Man work is the same as his B5 work in the regard he takes his time getting
anywhere. He just finished his first long running story 'season', which was great and has
started another, which hasn't been good so far, but I hope it'll pick up.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Re: baldness

I think I remember hearing something along the lines of "people in this advanced civilization would be above caring about something so trivial"

Eh.

And I agree with everyone above who said stuff along the lines of "JMS needs a dialogue editor"

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Meh.

After DS9 rolled around, I just story-edited in my head that while us Earthlings
were beyond such trivials as a society, didn't mean we were completely as
individuals.

Works much better.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Viking Bastard said:
How much did you read?

His Spider-Man work is the same as his B5 work in the regard he takes his time getting
anywhere. He just finished his first long running story 'season', which was great and has
started another, which hasn't been good so far, but I hope it'll pick up.

I read about fifteen issues. Very drawn out and very boring. The spider-totem/spider-god crap was horrid. Then after I thought it had bottomed out we get Sins Past. Six issues of fluff that should have been done in two. Then he does his reton which doesn't fit into what was detailed back then, among other faults. He's not alone though, nobody is doing a good Spider-man. You have MJ finding Peter making out with Gwens 8-10 year old daughter in Spectacular, and whatever Millar is doing in Marvel Knights. I read two issues of MK and dropped it, I don't like Millar very much. Back to JMS, he is doing ok on Supreme Power, except its mindnumbing slowness and some iffy issues, like the latest one. Overall its a solid comic though, and I despise decompression for the most part.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
BiggusGeekus said:
Re: baldness

I think I remember hearing something along the lines of "people in this advanced civilization would be above caring about something so trivial"

Whether or not the advanced civilization is above caring, perhaps Picard is above caring. Perhaps a "cure" exists, but picard didn't take it because he personally doesn't feel it is a malady.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads