D&D Movie/TV The D&D Movie Has Begun Filming!

Director Jonathan Goldstein tweeted "The campaign begins" with the following image!

Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley will be directing the film which features "an ensemble cast and take a subversive approach to the game."

The film stars Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith, Hugh Grant, and Rege-Jean Page.

While it would be nifty for this to be good, chances are it will be comparable to the last movie at worst or MYTHICA: A QUEST FOR HEROES at best
Doubt this will launch a franchise any more than Universal's Dark Universe managed to do so

We could get lucky. And this might be at least as fun as the Monsterverse

While it would be nifty for this to be good, chances are it will be comparable to the last movie at worst or MYTHICA: A QUEST FOR HEROES at best
Doubt this will launch a franchise any more than Universal's Dark Universe managed to do so

We could get lucky. And this might be at least as fun as the Monsterverse

I tried watching the first Mythica movie and I thought it was horrible.

Aaron L

Hero
If it's a "subversive approach to the game," maybe they'll all be defending a dungeon against hordes of adventurers.
I am seriously hoping that "subversive approach to the game" does not mean "D&D players from Earth being hurled into a D&D world!" (which would almost certainly mean the Forgotten Realms.) That kind of cheap garbage plot would be awful.

It was passable for a Saturday morning cartoon in the early '80s, but for an actual live-action Dungeons & Dragons movie it would be unbelievably tacky Isekai trash.

(I cannot stand Isekai, which is a manga/anime genre in which otaku/hikikomori from Earth/Japan are suddenly magically transported into generic Japanese videogame-style Fantasy worlds, or in the cheesiest versions they are instead merely somehow "stuck" inside an actual VR videogame that they cannot leave for some convoluted reason and they can somehow be killed for real in the game. Their knowledge of how Fantasy manga and Japanese-style Fantasy videogames work somehow acts as a sort of cheat code that allows them to effortlessly and undeservedly become total masters of magic, combat, and attracting hordes of anime babes to form harems around them and fight over them, therefore the obsession that made them outcasts on Earth instead becomes a skill that makes them the absolute masters of their new world. They are the worst kind of cheesy formulaic power-fantasy wish fulfillment trash, but unfortunately the genre has become incredibly popular in shonen manga and anime in Japan over the past several years, to the utter detriment of the industry.)

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases