D&D Movie/TV The D&D Movie Has Begun Filming!

Director Jonathan Goldstein tweeted "The campaign begins" with the following image!

Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley will be directing the film which features "an ensemble cast and take a subversive approach to the game."

The film stars Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith, Hugh Grant, and Rege-Jean Page.

Stormonu

Legend
I am amazed at the number of people dismissing or talking down this movie before even a teaser trailer is released. I mean I have no particular expectations at this point in time there is really nothing to base it on.
Ok the previous attempts were bad but also pretty low budget and fantasy is difficult to do on a low budget. I personally feel that movie will be good if there is no conflict at producer/director level and the director is into the project and is a good writer or hires a good writer.
While the past is not necessarily an indicator of future performance, Hollywood has a habit of botching things far more than they get it right. And right now, both the past D&D movies and the past work of those on these films is all we have to go on until they do put out a trailer - and trailers aren't exactly good indicators of the movie's true quality anyway, as they're nothing but positive spin (and unfortunately, massive spoilers these days).

hopeless

Adventurer
Given recent events there is good reason to be cynical about this.
But it could be much worse after all who would expect Warner Bros would announce the new Superman would be a black Kal-El on Henry Cavill's birthday?
So look on the bright side, this can't be as bad as that now can it?

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
It might be worth looking at the parties responsible when using the previous films as any indication of the potential quality of the new film.
Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 1.55.20 PM.png

So, on the new D&D movie:

Daley and Goldstein were the writers on Horrible Bosses, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2, Horrible Bosses 2, Vacation, Spider-Man: Homecoming, and Game Night

Daley and Goldstein were co-directors on Vacation and Game Night.

Goldner and Davis produced and/or executive produced the Transformers and G.I.Joe movies, as well as Jem and the Holograms and the My Little Pony movie.

Latcham produced Iron Man and Iron Man II, Avengers, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Guardians of the Galaxy, Spider-man: Homecoming, and Bad Times at the El Royale.

In contrast, the writers, directors, and producers of the three previous D&D movies also worked on...almost entirely a bunch of obscure, minor league stuff. I'm sure some of it was good.

I think what this all suggests is that the new D&D movie will be a major, studio tentpole, PG-13 action-comedy, and that it will probably be pretty darn entertaining - YMMV.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Given recent events there is good reason to be cynical about this.
But it could be much worse after all who would expect Warner Bros would announce the new Superman would be a black Kal-El on Henry Cavill's birthday?
wait what?

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Reporting on this is inconsistent, as far as I can tell. One source says it's a reboot, another says it's not part of the DC movie universe. It could be in addition to whatever role Cavill may continue to have as Superman in the DC movie universe. There's just not enough info yet.

Also: why would that be a bad thing?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
While the past is not necessarily an indicator of future performance, Hollywood has a habit of botching things far more than they get it right. And right now, both the past D&D movies and the past work of those on these films is all we have to go on until they do put out a trailer - and trailers aren't exactly good indicators of the movie's true quality anyway, as they're nothing but positive spin (and unfortunately, massive spoilers these days).
While all of this is true, I still think that it does not justify the level of negativity on display here.
The thing about the big blockbuster is that they are often entertaining even if forgettable or otherwise bad.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases