• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Evil Eye - IC

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Jiles looks stupefied for a moment.

What is he going on about? Is he drunk? Jiles thinks to himself. To the captain he tries to look like he isn't in shock and asks...

"Port-a-Lucine? Leudendorf? Captain I have never heard of these places before. Where in the Realms am I?" he asks seriousness edging into his voice.

kinem

Adventurer
"We're in Invidia, of course" Timothy replies. "Oh, I get it. You're an outlander, aren't you?

I've heard tales of people who suddenly appear, with memories of other places, other worlds. Some say they are false memories, of places that never were, created along with the new people.

Others think that the Powers bring folks in from other places. I don't know which it is, and it don't matter to me.

So you're new, and that's why you didn't know about the Vistani. Well, now you do. They're bad news, and best avoided.

So tell me, are you a priest or an adventurer of some kind?"

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"I'm... I'm in another world?" Jiles just stammers out in small shock. Putting together everything that has happened to him since meeting Raul, it all seems to make sense. The only question running through Jiles's head though is...

"Can I get home?"

He shakes it off knowing full well that here and now he could be killed and that it would make little difference. Needing to focus on something else for a minute he looks over to answer the captain's question.

Putting on his best grin he says, "Well you know I never thought myself much as a religious man, I dabble in healing and only pray to Oghma when my bacon is in the fire." He shakes with a little laughter. "I am a traveling scholar, poet, and member of The Harpers, though you probably don't know who they are, do you?"

kinem

Adventurer
"You got the idea. Well, we'd better go back before that gypsy makes off with my boat, heh." He heads back to the campsite.

Once dinner has been cleaned up, Timothy gathers his bedroll. "Often I snore something terrible. I won't subject the three o' you to that, so I'm going to go off a ways."

He leaves. Soon you hear the captain's distant snorts and snores. Raul shakes his head derisively.

The majestic beauty of the chromatic forest has a more sinister atmosphere once darkness falls. In the night, you can hear the rustle of branches overhead, punctuated by the screeches of night owls and other nocturnal predators. The forest is redolent with the pungent aroma of fallen leaves and rotting vegetation. The waxing moon rises in the east, casting a pale ghostly light through the canopy of leaves overhead.

ooc: What watches will you set, and is Jiles still wearing his heavier armor? Will he attempt to sleep in it?

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
As Jiles sets to changing his armor he quietly speaks to Raul. "This world," he shudders a little. "This world we are in now. Is there anything especially different about it? I mean it feels... dangerous, but the captain sails alone and seems to think he can sleep the night away. And snoring like that!" he adds incredulously.

Jiles puts the chain shirt away and dons his leathers. "Better for hiding at night anyway," he says mostly to himself. "I think we should set a watch but I don't believe the captain has interest in taking part. What do you think we should do about that?"

kinem

Adventurer
Raul is a bit drunk, but he sets Nikko to rest and attempts to answer your question.

"Different? Probably. Man, I didn't spend that long in your world. Dangerous? Sure, it can be. Like I said, there's mostly men like us, but there are monsters and you never know when or where they'll be. The mists are more active here, for sure, transporting people like they did with us.

I got the impression that in your world, there's lots of different monsters, but they're not all bad news. Some are good. You don't hear much of that in these lands.

The captain said it was safe here. But earlier he mentioned river trolls at night. If you don't mind, would you take the first watch? I haven't had much chance to sleep the past few nights."

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Jiles looks dubiously at the water. And wonders of the river trolls are just waiting for dark or for everyone to be half asleep.

"Sure I can take first watch," Jiles says not wanting to show the man his trepidation. "You get some sleep and maybe tomorrow we can find an inn and sleep a whole day way." he says with a warm smile.

After Raul turns in Jiles checks on the baby and then finds a spot he can watch the river and the woods from and hide in as well.

He stays as alert for monsters as he does for more of the strange mist that brought him to this strange land.

kinem

Adventurer
The night out here is lonely. For a long while, Jiles simply waits and watches. Occasionaly there is the screech of a distant owl. The captain's distant snoring can still be heard. After a while Jiles realizes that even the snoring has faded away.

In the dead of night, a chorus of wolf howls shatters the silence. They sound like they are some distance away, but it's hard to tell exactly how far.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Jiles ever so often will go stoke the small fire. When he hears the snoring has silenced he will go to check on the captain.

kinem

Adventurer
The Captain didn't tell you exactly where he would camp, and without the sound to guide you in the dimly lit forest, you are unable to find him.

The howl of wolves grows closer - it sounds like they are approaching the river near where the boat is.

Remove ads