The Problem Of Disney Star Wars

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Kylo and Rey as lovers ...

Ew.

Kylo Ren in an immature, entitled, self-absorbed anger-puppy. When he gets angry, he throws literal tantrums, lashing out with deadly violence.

He is not a mentally or emotionally stable adult, not capable of romantic love in the standard sense.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Ew.

Kylo Ren in an immature, entitled, self-absorbed anger-puppy. When he gets angry, he throws literal tantrums, lashing out with deadly violence.

He is not a mentally or emotionally stable adult, not capable of romantic love in the standard sense.

See, it works, you are already adding verve to the idea. To paraphrase Tolstoy's “All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.” It's the fact that it would probably play out like an unhappy romance is key, tragedy is more gripping story-wise.

Rey as the Red Queen? Pregnant mother fleeing to the wilderness to protect her unborn child? There are a huge amounts of tangents that could play off the romance angle.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Ew.

Exactly this.

Also, I don’t understand how people expected or wanted random heel turns?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Rey as the Red Queen? Pregnant mother fleeing to the wilderness to protect her unborn child? There are a huge amounts of tangents that could play off the romance angle.

Note that you are thus defining Rey's role in the story in terms of her romantic relationship to the man. Which is already the dominant mode of fiction, to date. Not so much "verve" as "cliche".

Thanks, I find it more interesting for her to be out on her own, not needing the man to define who or what she is to the story.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I find it more interesting for her to be out on her own, not needing the man to define who or what she is to the story.

So you liked the slaughter of the room full of people together angle? People are always defined by their interactions with each other. I suppose if you believe in some sort of libertarian ubermensch, she would make sense to you? It's foreign to me.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Ew.

Also, I don’t understand how people expected or wanted random heel turns?
Because REDEMPTION ARC!! Woo!! (You have to throw your hands straight up in the air while you shout it for it to have maximum impact.)

No, but seriously, because Darth Vader was apparently redeemed in his story (does Vader-ghost really signify that? I'm not entirely sure) a not insignificant portion of viewers also thought, and wanted, for Kylo to follow down that same path somehow. Or something like that. Love conquers all? Personally I'd prefer Kylo to lose all self-control and just go straight nuthouse cuckoo in the last film. That would be new. I don't think we've had truly crazy villains in Star Wars.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Kylo's arc eclipses Rey's, huh. I find it interesting that people think she should stay a virginal murder-machine, that is better, more pure? Also, does a woman lose her agency in a romantic relationship? Very strange. I think some of it is immaturity, which Star Wars has plenty of; even though Rogue One, shows there is a market for a more mature audience.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
So you liked the slaughter of the room full of people together angle? People are always defined by their interactions with each other. I suppose if you believe in some sort of libertarian ubermensch, she would make sense to you? It's foreign to me.

What, on earth, are you taking about? Libertarian ubermensch? Because Rey shouldn't be thought of as a male character's girlfriend? What has that go to do with a libertarian übermensch?

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
What, on earth, are you taking about? Libertarian ubermensch? Because Rey shouldn't be thought of as a male character's girlfriend? What has that go to do with a libertarian übermensch?

Do you believe that a woman, as a sexual creature, it demeans them? That is what I mean, it is immaturity, mommy issues. I figure the whole pure violence maiden, like Brunhilda - that's the libertarian ubermensch; it doesn't mean much to me as I'm more eastern, not german.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
I'd like to rant a little about this whole business of things having meanings. I think I've said this here before years ago, but you know what ruined a large part of my love for Star Wars? The EU. Yes, you read that right. In my opinion the Expanded Universe was the worst thing that ever happened to Star Wars. Not because it's somehow bad to have more stories in the universe you like. No, that was a good thing. The ruining, the bad, it was the quantifying, the over-explaining, the information overload. It was having to have every single thing in the Star Wars universe somehow have a significant meaning that had to connect to every other meaning there ever was. It was people creating this dictionary like super defined mass of dry data that sucked all life out of the whole damn lot of it. You don't have to have a meaning for every single thing. The same thing goes for Midichlorians. There was no need for those. It's perfectly fine for a thing to exist in a story and not have it be explained to the finest detail. And yes, while I do like Solo, having the dice explained was stupid. Do you remember Ratts Tyerell? Do you know what his goal for the Boonta was? Did you know he had just become a dad when he died in Phantom Menace? Do we know what material the grains of sand that his pod flew through were made of? I don't know that last one, but I'm guessing the chances of there being an actual answer are higher than zero.

Remove ads