Unearthed Arcana The Unearthed Arcana Is Back With Cleric's Unity Domain!

This week's Unearthed Arcana has reappeared, with a renamed cleric domain and a replaced cleric ability! "Unearthed Arcana presents three new subclasses for you to playtest: the College of Creation for the bard, the Unity Domain for the cleric, and the Clockwork Soul for the sorcerer."...

This week's Unearthed Arcana has reappeared, with a renamed cleric domain and a replaced cleric ability! "Unearthed Arcana presents three new subclasses for you to playtest: the College of Creation for the bard, the Unity Domain for the cleric, and the Clockwork Soul for the sorcerer."

Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 8.04.39 PM.png

The Love Domain is now the Unity Domain:

"A sense of oneness shines at the heart of healthy communities, whether bound together by friendship, blood, faith, or some other uniting force. The gods of unity deepen such bonds and delight in their strength.

Clerics of these gods preside over marriages and other familial bonding customs, but they also nurture the emotional bonds of friendship and camaraderie. Their divine blessings bolster and protect allies in battle through these deep bonds and turn aside malign influences."

The Impulsive Infatuation power has been replaced with Shared Burden which allows you to distribute an ally's damage taken amongst other willing creatures.

NotAYakk

Legend
LOVE the improved Clockwork Soul! Would be the first Sorcerer I play.
Hurry up. Tick tock.
Still no Ceremony in the Cleric's spell list. I don't think it would be OP to just add a third Level 1 spell.
Yes.
The Bard's pet could use some options to add variety, but as it is, it's at least functional and a neat concept. Especially the way you get to give it command while granting Bardic Inspiration to an ally.
Basically it is on-par with extra attack. You get a remote-control 1d10+cha attack, at the cost of either your bonus action (unless you used bardic inspiration). Less able to be optimized, better baseline.

The fact that "make a temporary non-magical item" is now a level 14 ability is sad. It should be buffed as a level 14 ability.
They don't like to reference non-PHB material in these UAs, but I could see them reprinting Ceremony in whatever book this ends up in.
Ah, good point.

Undrave

Legend
Basically it is on-par with extra attack. You get a remote-control 1d10+cha attack, at the cost of either your bonus action (unless you used bardic inspiration). Less able to be optimized, better baseline.

The fact that "make a temporary non-magical item" is now a level 14 ability is sad. It should be buffed as a level 14 ability.

Yeah the item works, it's just vanilla damage so that's a bit 'boring'.

And did they improve the GP value of the temporary item? Feels like they did but I don't recall.

It does feel a tad underwhelming as a lv 14 subclass ability but I'll need to consult my books to be sure.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
DIsney dancing furniture domain!!! - be our guest!

Family that fights together slays together domain (Dom Toretto would love this)

and dude with freaky clock eyes domain - I do love that the area of effect is a 30-ft Cube ...

Last edited:

Weiley31

Legend
If you were one of the lucky few who managed to download it originally, I still say that if you use it, just make sure you have it as "Obsession-Love Domain on your character sheet if your Cleric is evil.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Ravnica is a poor substitute for Sigil, but that's about as close as you're likely to get to a 5E Planescape.
I think they're almost certain to release a planar book in the next few years and it seems unlikely they won't draw from both Planescape and the World Axis (the Feywild and Shadowfell are now core, for instance). Heck, if I were in charge, I would toss in Spelljammer as well.

I don't think we're going to see 5E Planescape per se, but Sigil will be back and prominent. It's just too good for an IP not to use.

Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
This is a novel experience, I did manage to see the other document from earlier this week. And now we also get to see the “cleanup” process.

College of Creation
The second verse is different from the first.

Note of Potential
Now with cleaned up duration that lasts until the die is lost

Note of Destruction, Note of Protection, Note of Inspiration
All of these are the same.

Animating Performance
Essentially swapping with the ability to make random things, the pet got overhauled into the ability to just animate an existing object for an hour, once per day, rechargeable with a level 3 spell slot. It's a good ability a level 6, with uses that go beyond the obvious “It's just a souped up Spiritual Weapon,” such as mounted combat, or moving heavy stuff.

Performance of Creation
The ability to create random stuff. And though it's twice as valuable as it was before, now it's limited in size, and it has the “obviously magical” signatures all over it. I have to say, the idea of this ability was OK at level 6. As a level 14 power it seems disappointing as heck. While your friends are enjoying their newly grown wings, you can do something is is less useful than Fabricate with a higher level spell slot. And you still can't make Plate armor with it!

Thoughts:
This subclass doesn't have a through line from level 1 to 6. The low level powers aren't bad by any means, but they don't have a strong connection. Also, while most games don't last long enough for people to get their capstone, capstones should still be desirable.

Unity Domain
Love is dead, long live Unity. Redistribute the HP resources, and bask in the Glory of The Party.

Domain Spells
They are OK. Of note, not a single charm spell in the lot, despite charm ostensibly being a better fit with the concept of “unity.”

Emboldening Bond.
This is the same, it's still really really good.

Channel Divinity: Shared Burden
This is an incredibly useful power. Not only can it prevent an instagibbing on your parties squishy mage, but logistically speaking you can get more out of your parties shared HP/HD pool.

Protective Bond
The rich keep getting richer. This ability is also unchanged, and also good.

Potent Spellcasting
Now with the added inclusion of a Grey Box to remind people there are two kinds of Clerics in the world: Spellcasters and Bashers.

Enduring Unity
The part we were all waiting for! They didn't change this at all. It's still a Paladin Capstone that can be placed on anyone. Also you can still use this on the Fighter and his pet mouse to create an instant John Wick.

Thoughts:
Controversies aside, I thought the Love Cleric was full of nifty mechanics. And this has basically most of the same mechanics, with the exception of the CD. Enduring Unity is still weirdly optimized for keeping someone (or some pet) nearly dead for an extended period of time. And it's a bit weird how they dropped the entire concept of any sort of love in favor of vaguely communist themes, but whatever.

Clockwork Soul
Speaking of Mechanics...

Clockwork Magic
The missing cog in the machine. I am in favor of giving Sorcerers more spells, especially spells that are thematic and not normally on the Sorcerer spell list. Find Traps is a bit of a bad spell though.

Restore Balance
I still love this ability, but I do miss the Grey Box reminding people how (dis)advantage works. Perhaps there is a limited budget for Grey Boxes that we don't know about.

Bulwark of Law
From d6 to a d8, which is an average of one extra point of HP per Sorcery Point. Which makes it like Cure Wounds, but as a mana shield that stacks with damage resistance and Temp HP. Its not proper healing, and it's not a damage booster, but this sorcerer is more about control and defense, so it fits perfectly.

Trance of Order
Eternal and unchanging, but that's because it was good to begin with.

Clockwork Cavalcade
Now that is an upgrade. 100Hp distributed as you require isn't much, but it often will be just enough.
Looking at it, there aren't too many level 6 buff spells, if this just flat out dispelled anything in the area, rather than spells attached to creatures and objects, that would work better. Repairing damaged objects is still kind of situational. I still would prefer a “rewind time” power, but at least this won't make you regret going to level 18.

Thoughts:
The Clockwork soul was the subclass that felt the most “half-baked” out of the lot, so it's nice to see something that looks more finished now.

Remove ads

Remove ads