Things from my setting

I didn't comment on it as it seems grossly overpowered and I don't really see a way to fix it tbh.

I like the concept, I think it sounds bad ass and i might use it to make an extreme enemy for an upcoming part, but the biggest issue I see is that it literally can do everything. It can kill gods, it can see in darkness, if you hurt it you take permanent damage, it regenerates no matter what, it's immune to permanent damage, it can't be scryed upon, it has no Alignment, it flies, it gets Charisma deflection AC, it has permanent concealment, it can hide in plain sight, all of its supernatural and special abilities are extraordinary abilities, it can make iterative extraordinary disintegrate touch attacks with no cap per round, etc, and it also is only at a +10 CR, and if you do somehow manage to destroy it, it implodes! It disintegrates all non magical items that hit it but also disjoins all magical items that hit it, so how exactly is a low level party, roughly equivalent with its stated CR, supposed to fight this thing?

What party of 15th level characters could kill a 5th level Entropy being?

I just honestly either think the CR needs to be way scaled up, or it's powers need to be really walked back otherwise it just negates everything, can do anything and has no weakness besides bright light. 🤷🏻‍♂️

That said, I respect it's from your setting and I like the idea of it so I refrained from saying anything as I don't want to come off as a pessimistic douche. I just honestly don't know how a standard party could fight it at anything less than epic levels and then only with 9th level magic and a lot of luck.

Last edited:

Obly99

Hero
I didn't comment on it as it seems grossly overpowered and I don't really see a way to fix it tbh.

I like the concept, I think it sounds bad ass and i might use it to make an extreme enemy for an upcoming part, but the biggest issue I see is that it literally can do everything
At least he can't even make toast and coffee, he can't do everything.
It can kill gods, it can see in darkness, if you hurt it you take permanent damage, it regenerates no matter what, it's immune to permanent damage, it can't be scryed upon, it has no Alignment, it flies, it gets Charisma deflection AC, it has permanent concealment, it can hide in plain sight, all of its supernatural and special abilities are extraordinary abilities, it can make iterative extraordinary disintegrate touch attacks with no cap per round, etc, and it also is only at a +10 CR, and if you do somehow manage to destroy it, it implodes! It disintegrates all non magical items that hit it but also disjoins all magical items that hit it, so how exactly is a low level party, roughly equivalent with its stated CR, supposed to fight this thing?
A lot of his more problematic abilities are stuck behind the fact that all it takes is bright light (a simple 3rd level daylight spell) to turn them off.
That said, I respect it's from your setting and I like the idea of it so I refrained from saying anything as I don't want to come off as a pessimistic douche.
No no no, one of the reasons I post them on the forum is to have your opinions on whether they are broken / problematic / annoying or not.
What party of 15th level characters could kill a 5th level Entropy being?

I just honestly don't know how a standard party could fight it at anything less than epic levels and then only with 9th level magic and a lot of luck.
Ok a level 5th entropy

Entropy Troll CR 15

Beyond Alignment (NE) Large outsider (elemental, entropy, evil, extraplanar, giant)

Init +2; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent, see in darkness, true seeing; Perception +8

DEFENSE

AC 16, touch 11, flat-footed 14; (+2 Dex, +5 natural, –1 size)

hp 63 (6d8+36); regeneration 5 (acid or fire), dark regeneration 6

Defensive Abilities anathema to reality, entropic master, freedom of movement, negate aroma, negative energy affinity; DR 3/–; Immune ability damage and drain, blindness, charm, compulsion, death effects, energy drain, fear, mind-affecting, nausea, permanent damage, petrification, and unwilling polymorph effects, elemental traits;

Fort +11, Ref +4, Will +3

OFFENSE

Speed fly 30 ft. (perfect)

Melee bite +8 touch (1d8+5 permanent damage), 2 claws +8 touch (1d6+5 permanent damage)

Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.

Special Attacks death gaze (30 ft., DC 11, 30 permanent damage), entropic touch (DC 11, 12d6), rend (2 claws, 1d6+7 permanent damage), third death (10 ft., DC 13), void gaze (15 ft., DC 11, fascinate 2d6 rounds)

STATISTICS

Str 21, Dex 14, Con 23, Int 6, Wis 9, Cha 6

Base Atk +4; CMB +10; CMD 22

Feats Intimidating Prowess, Iron Will, Skill Focus (Perception)

Skills Intimidate +9, Perception +8

Languages Giant

SQ beyond mortal care, entropic mastery, lasting death, undead nature

A party of level 10, not even of level 15, obliterate this thing. AC 16, hp 63, +8 to hit, the DC of its Abilities is 11/13. One reason I used the troll is that it has Cha 6 so its DCs are low. As strong as the template is, when I created it, I had the feeling that it was a strong template yes, but a lot depended on the creature it was applied to, therefore it is the master's job to be careful what he applies it to. The entropic troll, with its abilities and DC, it's not a CR 15, maybe it's a CR 9-10 except that it does permanent damage which is difficult / impossible to heal at low levels.

Quoting Upper_Krust
(Immortals Handbook - Epic Bestiary (Epic Monster Discussion))
"EarthSeraphEdna: I just realized that the Small Unelemental is a CR 10 creature that has 2 melee touch attacks that each deal 2d8+3 (average 12) PERMANENT damage. Don't you think that's a bit unfair for a party of four ECL 10 characters who will not likely have Limited Wish, let alone Wish?

U_K: Nope, chances are they will beat it fairly easily but take some permanent damage, when they eventually level up enough they can restore the damage."

At least he can't even make toast and coffee, he can't do everything.
Lol
A lot of his more problematic abilities are stuck behind the fact that all it takes is bright light (a simple 3rd level daylight spell) to turn them off.
Given that Daylight only has a 60ft radius its not terribly hard to escape from
No no no, one of the reasons I post them on the forum is to have your opinions on whether they are broken / problematic / annoying or not.
Still I don't like sounding like a constant source of negativity
Ok a level 5th entropy

Entropy Troll CR 15

Beyond Alignment (NE) Large outsider (elemental, entropy, evil, extraplanar, giant)

Init +2; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent, see in darkness, true seeing; Perception +8

DEFENSE

AC 16, touch 11, flat-footed 14; (+2 Dex, +5 natural, –1 size)

hp 63 (6d8+36); regeneration 5 (acid or fire), dark regeneration 6

Defensive Abilities anathema to reality, entropic master, freedom of movement, negate aroma, negative energy affinity; DR 3/–; Immune ability damage and drain, blindness, charm, compulsion, death effects, energy drain, fear, mind-affecting, nausea, permanent damage, petrification, and unwilling polymorph effects, elemental traits;

Fort +11, Ref +4, Will +3

OFFENSE

Speed fly 30 ft. (perfect)

Melee bite +8 touch (1d8+5 permanent damage), 2 claws +8 touch (1d6+5 permanent damage)

Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.

Special Attacks death gaze (30 ft., DC 11, 30 permanent damage), entropic touch (DC 11, 12d6), rend (2 claws, 1d6+7 permanent damage), third death (10 ft., DC 13), void gaze (15 ft., DC 11, fascinate 2d6 rounds)

STATISTICS

Str 21, Dex 14, Con 23, Int 6, Wis 9, Cha 6

Base Atk +4; CMB +10; CMD 22

Feats Intimidating Prowess, Iron Will, Skill Focus (Perception)

Skills Intimidate +9, Perception +8

Languages Giant

SQ beyond mortal care, entropic mastery, lasting death, undead nature

A party of level 10, not even of level 15, obliterate this thing. AC 16, hp 63, +8 to hit, the DC of its Abilities is 11/13. One reason I used the troll is that it has Cha 6 so its DCs are low. As strong as the template is, when I created it, I had the feeling that it was a strong template yes, but a lot depended on the creature it was applied to, therefore it is the master's job to be careful what he applies it to. The entropic troll, with its abilities and DC, it's not a CR 15, maybe it's a CR 9-10 except that it does permanent damage which is difficult / impossible to heal at low levels.
Okay fair enough, but regen generally will heal you from any amount of hit point damage you take even if you go -250 you'll eventually recover. With the troll stated above it would need to be in both bright light and burned to kill the fuxking thing and that's assuming their weapons and armor aren't just outright destroyed by just fighting it. I think you're underplaying it's viability and power big time. The party might get the initial victory at a price, mind you any time they hit the damned thing they'd be either taking 10d6 or 5d6 permanent Disintegration damage and their weapons will be destroyed. So... yeah, I stand by what I said. Maybe a 15th level party could beat it but that 10th level party would be absolutely fuxked.

Quoting Upper_Krust
(Immortals Handbook - Epic Bestiary (Epic Monster Discussion))
"EarthSeraphEdna: I just realized that the Small Unelemental is a CR 10 creature that has 2 melee touch attacks that each deal 2d8+3 (average 12) PERMANENT damage. Don't you think that's a bit unfair for a party of four ECL 10 characters who will not likely have Limited Wish, let alone Wish?

U_K: Nope, chances are they will beat it fairly easily but take some permanent damage, when they eventually level up enough they can restore the damage."
I don't think these are the same situations. Your Entropic is far and away more powerful than a basic unelemental.

Obly99

Hero
Okay fair enough, but regen generally will heal you from any amount of hit point damage you take even if you go -250 you'll eventually recover. With the troll stated above it would need to be in both bright light and burned to kill the fuxking thing and that's assuming their weapons and armor aren't just outright destroyed by just fighting it. I think you're underplaying it's viability and power big time. The party might get the initial victory at a price, mind you any time they hit the damned thing they'd be either taking 10d6 or 5d6 permanent Disintegration damage and their weapons will be destroyed. So... yeah, I stand by what I said. Maybe a 15th level party could beat it but that 10th level party would be absolutely fuxked.
Precisely for levels below 10 this stuff is not used, and for the levels after it is used as a mega boss for the end of a story arc after many A LOT of evaluations.
After, considering that they will surely have permanent damage / items to be scrapped, I increase the treasure as a reward for succeeding, so eventually they have an even better equipment and maybe I have them have an intercession from a Solar or similar creatures that have Wish as a reward for having banished a horror that shouldn't exist in the world.

I don't think these are the same situations. Your Entropic is far and away more powerful than a basic unelemental.
It really depends on the creature you apply the template to. The dragon and the troll in my post? Certainly. If the template is applied to a rat or another simple animal, I don't think.

Precisely for levels below 10 this stuff is not used, and for the levels after it is used as a mega boss for the end of a story arc after many A LOT of evaluations.
After, considering that they will surely have permanent damage / items to be scrapped, I increase the treasure as a reward for succeeding, so eventually they have an even better equipment and maybe I have them have an intercession from a Solar or similar creatures that have Wish as a reward for having banished a horror that shouldn't exist in the world.
But having to pull a bunch of Deus Ex Machina shiit out to make it okay means by proxy it isn't okay. It can very easily be a party wipe via bullshiit. Like let's say the party consists of a fighter, a mage, a brawler and a rogue and this thing goes after the mage, which, why wouldn't it? Once that mage is downed, they're screwed. What can they do, destroy their weapons over it and deal unarmed attacks? This is a serious question. What could they do? It's unfair and unbalanced.
It really depends on the creature you apply the template to. The dragon and the troll in my post? Certainly. If the template is applied to a rat or another simple animal, I don't think.
Okay let's stress test that. Let's apply it to a rat. Or a jackal or something. Something basic with a weak attack and no real special abilities. Without proper knowledge of what this thing is or how to fight it it could still easily defeat a party of 10th level characters.

It can disintegrate its way through any medium, it would likely be attacking at night or underground or in some kind of negatively aligned dark locale right? Unless they expose it and keep it in bright light, it will keep returning from the dead dealing permanent damage and Disintegration, and destroying the gear of any opponent it encounters. If the party lacks a mage or a viable mage equivalent (cleric paladin druid magus omdura), they're totally fuxked. A party of rogues, fighters, brawlers and rangers, totally screwed. It wouldn't matter what level really.

It can fly, effectively go invisible, regenerate, hit all touch attacks for at least 5d6 per swipe, and unless they figure out its weakness which unless their metagaming or happen to be a bard or something, they won't easily know, they're going to try different damage types not light or something random. Maybe they will but chances are they won't think bright light from a sunlight spell will do the trick, the sunlight spell doesn't hurt bodaks, doesn't hurt vampires, so why would they just assume it'll hurt this thing?

What it reminds me of, is the pixie, the basic pixie from the Bestiary or Monster Manual. They seem fairly harmless. Tinkerbell! They're only CR3 officially afterall but have constant improved invisibility, can fire magic arrows that can charm you, make you forget etc, have fast perfect flight, a damage reduction, a spell resistance, a decent ac, and can use permanent image in addition to a plethora of other abilities.

If you're not careful you can easily wipe your party with one without even trying.

That's the same issue with this, it's too strong for the level it's presented as.

If only one type of character build stands any chance of effectively fighting it, it's not fair.

Last edited:

Obly99

Hero
Vampire (Middle Earth) CR 4
Since not much is known about them (they may just be giant bats, like from the Battle of the Five Armies), I took a cue from their version of The Tolkien D20 Project to create my own version. (Vampire) (Home - The Tolkien D20 Project)
CE Medium Monstrous Humanoid

Init +8; Senses blindsense 5 ft., darkvision 60 ft., scent; Perception +10

DEFENSE

AC 17, touch 14, flat-footed 13 (+4 Dex, +3 natural)

hp 45 (6d10+12)

Fort +4, Ref +9, Will +6

Defensive Abilities evasion; DR 5/magic

Weakness light blindness

OFFENSE

Speed 10 ft., fly 30 ft. (average)

Melee bite +5 (1d3+1), 2 talons +10 (1d6+2 plus bleed and grab)

Special Attacks bleed (1d4), blood drain (1 Constitution)

STATISTICS

Str 14, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 16

Base Atk +6; CMB +7; CMD 21

Feats Improved Initiative, Hover, Weapon Finesse

Skills Fly +13, Intimidate +12, Perception +10, Sense Motive +7, Stealth +13

Languages Common, Orc

Environment any

Organization solitary, pair, or patrol (1 Vampire plus 1d6+2 Orcs)

Treasure incidental

Middle Earth vampires appear as gigantic bats with the faces of men or women and equipped with powerful claws on their feet. They are very good flyers and were used by Morgoth and Sauron as scouts, spies or messangers.

COMBAT

Vampires stalk their prey and attack by ambushing their victims. They like to strike with a talon and fly out of reach, weakening their victims until they can administer a final attack. Some of them are very old and may have levels.

Vampire (Middle Earth) CR 4
Since not much is known about them (they may just be giant bats, like from the Battle of the Five Armies), I took a cue from their version of The Tolkien D20 Project to create my own version. (Vampire) (Home - The Tolkien D20 Project)
CE Medium Monstrous Humanoid

Init +8; Senses blindsense 5 ft., darkvision 60 ft., scent; Perception +10

DEFENSE

AC 17, touch 14, flat-footed 13 (+4 Dex, +3 natural)

hp 45 (6d10+12)

Fort +4, Ref +9, Will +6

Defensive Abilities evasion; DR 5/magic

Weakness light blindness

OFFENSE

Speed 10 ft., fly 30 ft. (average)

Melee bite +5 (1d3+1), 2 talons +10 (1d6+2 plus bleed and grab)

Special Attacks bleed (1d4), blood drain (1 Constitution)

STATISTICS

Str 14, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 16

Base Atk +6; CMB +7; CMD 21

Feats Improved Initiative, Hover, Weapon Finesse

Skills Fly +13, Intimidate +12, Perception +10, Sense Motive +7, Stealth +13

Languages Common, Orc

Environment any

Organization solitary, pair, or patrol (1 Vampire plus 1d6+2 Orcs)

Treasure incidental

Middle Earth vampires appear as gigantic bats with the faces of men or women and equipped with powerful claws on their feet. They are very good flyers and were used by Morgoth and Sauron as scouts, spies or messangers.

COMBAT

Vampires stalk their prey and attack by ambushing their victims. They like to strike with a talon and fly out of reach, weakening their victims until they can administer a final attack. Some of them are very old and may have levels.
Nice! I'm liking the middle earth inspired stuff man. Will definitely throw this at my party.

Obly99

Hero
Nice! I'm liking the middle earth inspired stuff man. Will definitely throw this at my party.
In the next days i will publish Thuringwethil (Thuringwethil) as a Hero Deity in two version. The first version is based on the power level of Tolkien and has as integrated classe feature the Rogue. The second, more optimized with your standard use the Vigilante Blitz.

Obly99

Hero
Thuringwethil (Tolkien level of power)

She was the messenger of Sauron, and was wont to fly in vampire form's to Angband, and her great fingered wings were barbed at each joint's end with an irow claw.”

As you rummage through the ruins of the Anfauglith battlefield, under the moonlight, you feel a sudden chill run down your spine. For a second, the cold moonlight above you darkens as something flies over it. That something lands in front of you. She would be a seductive woman, were it not for the fact that apart from her head, thorax and abdomen she is a huge bat with extremely sharp wing claws. She smiles at you, baring sharp teeth, and speak in a melodious voice

'Thuringwethil I am, who cast

a shadow o'er the face aghast

of the sallow moon in the doomed land

of shivering Beleriand. '

Then she throws herself on you by raising her claws to tear you apart.

Female unique Hero-Deity

LE Medium outsider (native)

Init +16; Senses darkest vision, darkvision 180 ft., divine senses (x3), scent; Perception +26

Aura divine (DC 22, 60 ft.)

AC 36, touch 32, flat-footed 26 (+9 deflection, +9 Dex, +3 divine, +1 dodge, +4 natural)

hp 272 (16d10+112) plus 50 force field

Fort +15, Ref +22, Will +17

Defensive Abilities evasion; DR 5/epic; Resistance Terrestrial Hazards; PR/SR 29

Weakness light blindness, vulnerable to cold and light

Speed 40 ft., fly 90 ft. (perfect)

Melee bite +22 (1d10+2), 2 claws +27 (1d10+5/19-20x3 plus bleed), 2 talons +27 (1d10+5 plus grab)

Special Attacks bleed (3d6), blood drain (4 Constitution), mythic power (3/day, surge +1d6), sneak attack +4d6

Spell-like Abilities (CL 18th, concentration +27)

At will—black tentacles, blindness/deafness (DC 24), commune, create greater undead, deeper darkness, dream, etherealness, ethereal jaunt, expeditious retreat, fly, freedom of movement, geas/quest, greater dispel magic, greater teleport, magic jar (DC 27), nightmare (DC 27), obscuring mist, plane shift (DC 27), power word blind, sending, shadow walk, spider climb, tongues

3/day—limited wish

Str 20, Dex 28, Con 24, Int 20, Wis 18, Cha 28

Base Atk +15; CMB +27; CMD 52

Feats Agile Maneuvers, Blind-FightB, Combat Reflexes, Dampen PresenceB, Dodge, Improved Initiative, Hover, PersuasiveB, Run, Skill Focus (bluff), Spring Attack, Weapon Finesse

Skill Appraise +26, Bluff +37, Diplomacy +34, Disguise +31, Fly +31, Intimidate +34, Linguistics +13, Perception +26, Sense Motive +26, Spellcraft +23, Stealth +31, Use Magic Device +27

Languages Abyssal, Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elf, Infernal, Orc, Sylvan, Treant

SQ bonus feats, combat advisor (+2), convincing attitude, divine traits (hero-deity), inherent bonus, integrated class feature (rogue [consigliere]), might, portfolio (darkness, travel), rogue talents (charmerB 2/day, careful stab, convincing lie (13 days), dampen presence, distracting attack), virtual size category +0

Divine Abilities

• Adjuration (Su): Summon up to 32 hit die of creatures per day (no single creature can have CR higher than 11)

• Force Field (Su): You are protected by 50 hit point force field

• Polymorph (Su): You can polymorph at will

Darkness Portfolio Traits (Lesser Deity)

Granted Power: You gain Blind-Fight as a bonus feat

Darkest Vision (Ex): You have perfect vision in darkness, even magical darkness

Hostile Environment (Sunlight) (Ex): Competence penalty on all die rolls equal to your divine rank while within a sunlit environment

Light Vulnerability (Ex): Suffer 50% extra damage from light attacks and spells

• Shadow Immunity (Su): You are immune to shadow attacks and spells

• Scion of Darkness (Ex): Competence bonus (equal to your divine rank) on attack rolls, damage rolls and armor class while shrouded in darkness

Travel Portfolio Traits (Hero-Deity)

Granted Power: Increase movement speed by 10 ft. Add survival to your list of cleric class skills.

Cold Vulnerability (Ex): Cold based spells and effects are 50% more effective on you

Hyperactive (Ex): Competence penalty (equal to your divine rank) on all die rolls if you stay in the same location for more than one day

• Temporal Resistance (Su): You are immune to spells and effects which impede movement

• Scion of Travel (Ex): Competence bonus to attack rolls damage rolls and armor class equal to your divine rank when you take your full movement that round

Inherent Bonuses (Ex)
Sauron has used wish spells to give a +4 inherent bonus to Dexterity and Constitution and +5 to Charisma of Thuringwethil.

Grant Spells
Thuringwethil can grant spells up to 5th level. She grant access to the domains of Community, Darkness and Travel and to the subdomains of Cooperation, Exploration and Night.

Might (Ex)
Thuringwethil deals d10's for base damage dice of all melee, natural weapon, and unarmed attacks with virtual size categories, and her damage dice cannot go below this dice but this cannot increase to more dice than Thuringwethil HD.

Divine Traits (Hero-Deity) (Ex)
As a hero-deity, Thuringwethil gains a +3 divine bonus to: armor class; attack rolls; checks (ability checks, caster level checks, skill checks, etc.); difficulty class (for any special abilities, spell-like abilities, spells); initiative; saving throws and spell resistance. Thuringwethil’s natural attacks or any weapons he wields, are treated as epic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. A hero-deity does not age, requires no air to breathe, no food or drink to sustain itself, nor sleep.

Mythic (Ex)
Thuringwethil has Mythic Power (3/day, Surge +1d6) and counts as a 3rd-rank Mythic creature. Thuringwethil use any of her spell-like abilities effect as the Mythic versions of those spells (if a Mythic version of that spell exists), expending Mythic Power as normal. She can also expend Mythic Power to use the augmented versions of these spells.

Attachments

• thuringwethil.jpg
    thuringwethil.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 45

Remove ads